Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
marc_pas

ASMFC Atlantic Striped Bass Board Approves Addendum VI

http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/5d...I_Approval.pdf
marc_pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
MeTo

Re: ASMFC Atlantic Striped Bass Board Approves Addendum VI

I would have liked a 18-28 inch slot limit. It’s going to be difficult to stay below the high side on this with a gun.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
I would have liked a 18-28 inch slot limit. It’s going to be difficult to stay below the high side on this with a gun.
Seems to be part of the point... trying to confidently size a 28-35" slot fish is difficult enough that it may cause many average joes such as myself to abstain from shooting bass when this goes into effect. I will say my personal feelings are related to all the science showing low stock assessments.
http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file/5d..._April2019.pdf
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
rambofishsniper
Puerto Rico

wow judging a bass inside this limits is going to be way too hard they should just leave the 28" over limit or make it 28-35 for Rod n reel and keep it 28"+ for spearfisherman
mean while comercial netting guys can take all the bass they want..
also now is mandatory to use circle hooks too what next limit on fishing line to 6pound test for bass too... they claim the stock is low we see the real numbers of bass out there. we get to see thousands of bass swimm by owr heads all the time there numbers are not low like they claim this is some bull
Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
hyeparis

I agree it'd be a challenge, but my concern was that they'd ban taking striped bass altogether, so glad that did not happen.
hyeparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
lidiver

Bad change. They should have increased the lower limit and let it open at the top. Let’s say set new limit as 32”+, or even higher. That way even with overfishing there is a guaranteed spawning chance.

I would be curious to see the mathematical models who supported this measure. Probably it is just a big fat check from the lobbyists.

Stefan
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidiver View Post
Bad change. They should have increased the lower limit and let it open at the top. Let’s say set new limit as 32”+, or even higher. That way even with overfishing there is a guaranteed spawning chance.

I would be curious to see the mathematical models who supported this measure. Probably it is just a big fat check from the lobbyists.

Stefan

All the information regarding the decisions for the changes can be found in this link if you are truly "curious to see the mathematical models". Its comical that some folks think that their personal experience of diving on schools of bass a few times a year is a better representation of bass stock numbers than all the commercial, rec, and state/fed depts data being analyzed by professional scientists. That's what these people do for a living day in day out, after years of studying the field, but somehow you think you have a better sense of how to manage bass populations? Why would you not want to ensure the preservation of this amazing fishery? Foolishness.
https://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/publicati...08/crd1908.pdf .

Last edited by zipper; 02-07-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
MeTo

Thanks for the input zipper. Over a thousand pages. That’s a lot of reading. Have they come up with the new regulations?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTo View Post
Thanks for the input zipper. Over a thousand pages. That’s a lot of reading. Have they come up with the new regulations?
My understanding is ASMFC makes "recommendations" that the states can then implement in ways they see fit. New models show overfishing of stripers has been happening now for several years so there are a few options on the table to stop that. Considering ASMFC is made up of scientists and policy-maker representatives from each state, the regulations final form for each state comes down to public and industry input from public hearings and workshops. I know I got an email last week from the RI marine fisheries listserv which I will copy below. For those of us that care at all about this these regs, we should attend these hearings in respective states.

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING AND WORKSHOPS

Please be advised that the DEM Division of Marine Fisheries will hold a public hearing on Monday, February 10, 2020, 6:00PM at the URI Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium, Narragansett. Specific hearing items are still being developed, but at a minimum will include 2020 management plans for recreational Summer flounder, recreational Black sea bass, recreational Scup, recreational Striped Bass, commercial Striped bass General Category and Floating Fish Traps, recreational Bluefish, and recreational and commercial Tautog.
In preparation for this hearing, two workshops will be held: The 1st workshop will be held on Thursday, January 9, 2020, and will include all finfish species other than striped bass. A 2nd workshop will be held Monday, January 13, 2020 on 2020 striped bass management. Both workshops will be held at URI Bay Campus, Hazard Room, 5:00PM.
It is strongly encouraged that interested persons submit any proposals to staff prior to the workshop. Proposals submitted in advance of the workshop may be included in the Division’s presentation for discussion. Workshop agendas will be provided in advance of the meeting.
Thank you.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
lidiver

Zipper,
I'm making a (good) living from data interpretation, mathematical models and decision models. I've seen plenty of really bad decisions when it comes to data interpretation, and without being disrespectful to those dedicating their lives to preserve the fishery the measure seems a trade-off between preservation and private interests.
Before throwing a jab at the diving community and their experience (and no, I'm not talking about your 4 total posts, I assume you have thousands of hours in breathold that allowed you to properly study the striped bass population), please consider that there are 50 years old, 60 or 70 and even 80 years old who dove before the decline in the 80 and 90s, through the restrictions, through the rebound and now again decline. Somebody who dives the same body of water year after year can have a pretty good idea of where the stock is going.

It has been 4+ years already that the more seasoned divers are talking about a dramatic decline and that we need new measures. We're not unhappy about restrictions in general, we are just concerned that the measure doesn't seem to be the best path to rebound.

For the kick of it I'll go through the data they provided. If I stand corrected in my assumptions I'll post again, happy to learn something new.
lidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidiver View Post
Zipper,
I'm making a (good) living from data interpretation, mathematical models and decision models. I've seen plenty of really bad decisions when it comes to data interpretation, and without being disrespectful to those dedicating their lives to preserve the fishery the measure seems a trade-off between preservation and private interests.
Before throwing a jab at the diving community and their experience (and no, I'm not talking about your 4 total posts, I assume you have thousands of hours in breathold that allowed you to properly study the striped bass population), please consider that there are 50 years old, 60 or 70 and even 80 years old who dove before the decline in the 80 and 90s, through the restrictions, through the rebound and now again decline. Somebody who dives the same body of water year after year can have a pretty good idea of where the stock is going.

It has been 4+ years already that the more seasoned divers are talking about a dramatic decline and that we need new measures. We're not unhappy about restrictions in general, we are just concerned that the measure doesn't seem to be the best path to rebound.

For the kick of it I'll go through the data they provided. If I stand corrected in my assumptions I'll post again, happy to learn something new.
That’s great you make a (good) living from data interpretation. Please do go through the data provided and get back to us, the entirety of spearboard and the dozens of PhDs with ASMFC anxiously await your analysis and feedback…Without disrespect, your sales/ advertising/operations modeling experience has little if anything to do with marine fisheries population management. That being said, I do believe an open upper limit and increased lower limit is still on the table (for RI at least) as an option, and we will know the regs after tonight’s meeting.

The “jabs at the diving community” are clearly aimed towards the naïve sentiment I have heard (including in this thread) that there are so many bass around, it is not possible that the populations are in decline. I agree with you, I am sure the majority of the diving community is not included in this vocal minority.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
prop

more government b.s.
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
ajw11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
That’s great you make a (good) living from data interpretation. Please do go through the data provided and get back to us, the entirety of spearboard and the dozens of PhDs with ASMFC anxiously await your analysis and feedback…Without disrespect, your sales/ advertising/operations modeling experience has little if anything to do with marine fisheries population management. That being said, I do believe an open upper limit and increased lower limit is still on the table (for RI at least) as an option, and we will know the regs after tonight’s meeting.

The “jabs at the diving community” are clearly aimed towards the naïve sentiment I have heard (including in this thread) that there are so many bass around, it is not possible that the populations are in decline. I agree with you, I am sure the majority of the diving community is not included in this vocal minority.
You seem pretty confident. Do you have fisheries management experience?

IG: @captainwelch
ajw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
MeTo

Sounds like RI is going with 32-40 inch slot.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #15
wiggy

I think it's important that we consider the increased attention BSB and Tautog are going to receive on our local spots given the likelihood of the slot limit. With Tautog migrating far less, I am concerned it will be easy for us to overharvest the larger Tautog from more focused spots this season. I'll admit I'm not sure what the stock assessment of BSB currently is, but I think mindful harvesting from the resource is something we all need to consider, especially this year. I've switched almost entirely to using a polespear to keep spearing exciting while reducing my impact, I'm glad to see it seems like a lot of people are catching the polespear bug.
wiggy is offline   Reply With Quote