Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
sdDive

Boat advice

Hello, I thought I would ask here since I'll be using the boat in so cal waters. I am about to buy my first boat and wanted to see if anyone had exp with the boat I am looking at. Friend is selling 96 Grady white 208 adventure with Yamaha 200 engine for 11k. Electronics were rewired about four years ago, but the gas gauge doesn't work.

Any idea what the yearly costs would be like?
Insurance 200-300 a year? Boat tow 130? How often should I change oil and spark plugs, 3 year? Thinking about dry docking near marina del Rey, any recommendations?
Currently it's 150 a month, would like to find somewhere cheaper...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sdDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Pfish

Re: Boat advice

Normally, you can figure about 15% of the cost of the boat each year. It is a rough figure, but seems pretty accurate for my boat. Boat=Bring On Another Thousand. Welcome to the ranks.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfish View Post
Normally, you can figure about 15% of the cost of the boat each year. It is a rough figure, but seems pretty accurate for my boat. Boat=Bring On Another Thousand. Welcome to the ranks.
You spelled it wrong;

Boatt...Bring On Another Ten Thousand
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
sdDive

Yeah was thinking around 1000 a year.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

...After wife and I quit laughing, here are some rough figures:....Vessel Assist membership: $169 for towing if you plan to chase offshore fish...may be cheaper if you join thru West Marine Rewards program (a good idea for the rebates); boat storage: grab the $150 and smile til' each year end when they raise it on you (I pay $204 with launching included and just received another raise notice even if I sign for the one year lease "discount" pricing).
...Engine hours is key...Did the owner keep a log showing hours and work done to maintain the engine over time...if not, walk away or resign yourself to probably paying for major work or a new engine soon....Change your gas/water filter every 50 hours to avoid water in the ethenal fuel...about $24 per filter (I use Sierra aftermarket filters that are cheaper than brand names)..change oil filters each 100 hours or less, (I change mine every 50 hours) or, every 6 months, whether boat is used or not...once you run the engine, the oil starts getting acidic...that is what damages rings, pistons, etc. over time. It is well worth hiring a boat mechanic to take on a test run so he can look for major issues before buying a potential money pit...roughly $250....
....insurance, about $500 a year for full coverage in case some drunk weekender runs into your rig or a novice diver expires while diving with you (this is important to protect your assets, as everyone within a mile of your boat will sue everyone and everything, hoping for a settlement.....)...zincs for your engine and trim tabs, another $100 for good Sea Shield brand (Coast Guard approved) zincs or specialty brand name zincs like Yamaha...
...New vhf radio and Shakesphere 8600 antenna (top of the line)….$400 or so and new batteries every 2 or 3 years at $87 each for Costco or $280 for top of the line Optimas, which last up to 6 years or more....Don't cut corners here, as the radio and battery setup is your lifeline; inshore inflatable life jackets (on sale, about $99 for Co2 models), about $150 for offshore (recommended)….you can find the standard orange ones at estate or marine sales for a few bucks...and, the list goes on as you become more advanced at chasing fish....bait tank, outriggers, big reels for tuna, etc....mooring at Catalina ($38 a nite)….ad infinum....
...or, follow my advice: "The best way to be on a boat, is someone else's boat; pay extra to be first in line and you will save thousands".....but, everyone should have the boat disease once in their life just for the gain and pain experience!....Good luck.... p.s. the Grady-White is a durable hull for offshore and Yamaha 200's are considered reliable engines....more likely, the gas gage issue is the sender being corroded going into the gas tank...check wiring and fuel tank top area for corrosion and pitting...replacing a fuel tank can get expensive, especially if you have to cut the deck open to get to it....If you do buy it, go to West Marine and buy the manual for that year and brand of Yamaha...time to learn how to do it and deprive the mechanic of his $125 an hour.... Oh, I forgot one of other 12 expenses yearly: Personal Property tax on your boat because it is parked on county land or water...1.08 percent on appraised value in the O.C. (ex. $43,000 appraisal = $544.

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-06-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
Twisted Trader

Don't forget about the trailer. I bought my boat and trailer and had to immediately replace 4 tires, redo all brakes, rewire the trailer, have the surge brake rebuilt, and replace all lights. That ran $2500 before I got to launch. And then the bilge pump quit working, the 4 speakers failed, and the canvas cover disintegrated ....And then the additional insurance every time I head to Mexico for some of the most spectacular diving that I have ever done.
We hope that you are getting the idea...
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
sdDive

Wow thanks for the detailed info guys! Yeah it won't be cheap... But, yolo just have to make some sacrifices to gain amazing experiences.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
HEX
Hector F.

If you have to ask don't get a boat...

I'll tell you my experience with boat ownership, I'm currently on my second boat.

First boat Boston Whaler Montauk 17'
Was a good "cheap" boat to operate and maintain. Motor took a shit, there went $10k on new Honda 90. After that I had 0 problems for the remaining time I owned the boat. Re did the wiring $200 in supplies, new electronics another $3.5k, refreshed the trailer another $500, $20 each time at launch ramp.

Current boat Parker 2320
50 hour maintenance replace fuel water seperator, 100 hour maintenance includes changing oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs every 100 hours which costs around $200-$230 if you do the work yourself or else expect to pay out your ass at a shop. Insurance is $500 for the year full coverage AAA, fuel costs anywhere from $100-500 per trip depends on the trip. I've already spent $8k on new Simrad electronics because the Ray marine garbage ones the boat came with were shit, another $1k on new anchor system, batteries are like $100 a piece, also the bigger the boat the more systems it may have so the higher the maintenance costs. I just replaced a trailer tire $100 bucks. I'm gonna be towing my boat from now on since I moved out of my house on the harbor so I gotta buy a diesel truck 2007 Ford F250 turbo diesel gonna run about $18-20k. My boat is in tip top shape right now "knock on wood" but always have a back up fund saved in your bank of like $3k just in case some shit goes wrong because BOAT literally stands for Break Out Another Thousand that's not a lie, you're going to blow cash that's just the way owning a boat is. Now if you LOVE having the freedom to go to the islands on your own terms and whenever you like then all the work is worth it. Shit is pricey that's why a lot of guys jump on charters or befriend boat owners, I know my friend count when up after I bought my boat go figure lol

Grady Whites are great boats but just know what you're getting into before you commit. Good luck

Last edited by HEX; 08-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
HEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
tommy7

Dont buy a "project". Buy a boat with a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki 4 stroke outboard that someone else sunk a pile of cash into that they will never get back
Old 08-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Trace

Great advise from Tommy! That's something to think about.
Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #11
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy7 View Post
Dont buy a "project". Buy a boat with a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki 4 stroke outboard that someone else sunk a pile of cash into that they will never get back
Solid advice. Spend a little more money for this. Trying to save a few thousand can cost you a LOT more in the end.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
Bob Ballew

There is a slightly cheaper way to own your first rig.....buy the hull from a Customs, Treasury or IRS auction and finance a new outboard engine for a few years of trouble free diving....Also, you can find used older Makos and other sound hulls for a few hundred dollars on sites like Boat Angel.com...finance a new engine and you are good to go...with lots of weekend work, of course...…used military boats are usually beat to hell and not a good buy....best ones are customs and IRS seizures for back taxes.. I recommend strongly to stay with outboard engines....
...Diesels are expensive to maintain and buy parts for; plus unless you run weekly, the outlay vs. economy can't be justified; inboard/outdrives are double the headache, as the outdrive unit usually needs an overhaul at 1,000 hours plus the leaks that go with any engine placed inside a hull where you have to bend in half to reach the various areas...outboards: easy to service and just throw it away when worn out and clamp on a new one...very little alignment to worry about....there,... boat ownership summed up in 2 paragraphs....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-04-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
Postmortem
Eric

I would recommend two things.

1) start small- get a 12-15' rib and learn how the boating life works. You get an idea for how things are. They are generally simpler set ups. Fill ups are cheap and you get the experience on a "budget".

2) learn how to do as much as you can yourself. Routine maintenance is pretty simple. Pick up an owners manual for your engine and have a buddy show you the ropes. You'll save a lot of coin and will acquire knowledge of your rig. Every boat owner needs to know how to diagnose a few issues out on the water. PM if you need more advice. I would steer clear of that Grady if you don't know mechanics.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
Ater22

If you don’t buy your friends boat at a good price, I suggest not buying a boat right now due to the crazy used boat market. The whole 15% devaluation is out the window right now. Just look on boat trader. 10 year old Contenders are selling at 80% of what they sold for brand new with 700 hours. The used boat market is inflated out the ass and you do not want to be caught with your pants down when it bursts. Read the Hull Truth. It’s the number one online boating forum. It will educate on the current bubble we’re in.
Ater22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #15
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ater22 View Post
If you don’t buy your friends boat at a good price, I suggest not buying a boat right now due to the crazy used boat market. The whole 15% devaluation is out the window right now. Just look on boat trader. 10 year old Contenders are selling at 80% of what they sold for brand new with 700 hours. The used boat market is inflated out the ass and you do not want to be caught with your pants down when it bursts. Read the Hull Truth. It’s the number one online boating forum. It will educate on the current bubble we’re in.
This is true. West coast boats prices are inflated. I bought my boat for $50k east coast and its worth $70-$75k here. ****en Parker bro, the west coast market is crazy.