Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #1
davej

new dive watch

Any of you out there with a fat wallet have one of these

https://neptonics.com/product/garmin...ogIk5KbUp1biJ9

Curious about how well it works. I love my f10 but love the idea of having gps and some of the features this has. Although doubt I want to spend that much. Who know fathers day is coming up, (hint hint honey).

just for fun what watch do you dive with?
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #2
rysgates

Re: new dive watch

Talked to a couple of guys who have it and they love it but the only way I would ever end up with one would be if I won it in a raffle or something haha
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=___________________________________________
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll````````/
///////\ |
//////----
/////
rysgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
davej

Yeah hard to justify a grand when you can get a f10 for a fraction.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Mcdiver matt

I like the f10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

It would be great for marking ling or lobster holes. I used to carry a small gps in a waterproof bag in my kayak and it was a pain in the ass. This would be much better.

Personally, I seem to be lately less interested in technology, as I am finding it to be a distraction. On the trip I just got back from, I wore my $15 Casio the whole time, even though I had my freedive watch in my dive bag. Left the gopro at home too. It was nice.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
mactrac

One feature of the Garmin worth noting here is that it has a "Hunting" mode -- this overrides all of the alarms on the watch so that it won't accidentally spook fish.

It's interesting that Garmin, on their first outing with a dive watch, came up with a useful feature like this. I don't think is available on watches from manufacturers with a longer track record. However, I could be wrong -- I have only personally used Suunto watches in the past and just got an Aqualung (which is similar to the Oceanic lineup, as they both come from Pelagic).
mactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
fbaron

You can get one Garmin 5x and install dive IQ app for freediving, this could save you up to 50% the price for 90% functionality of mk1.
fbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
growingupninja
Lance

I broke down and got one (even with discount it was steep for me) after flooding to two F10's in a row. The Garmin charges through the case in a special cradle so it should be impossible to flood, there is no battery to change.

The GPS feature does work as advertised, and if you want a 'smart watch/fitbit' that syncs to your phone and counts your steps and reminds you to move, gets email notifications etc it does all that, too... I turned that off since I like a watch to be seen and not heard, I can manage my own activity thank you.

Battery life is decent but not the same as an old school dive watch. I got 20 hours in dive mode, and it gets several days in watch mode. Recharges in 2 or 3 hours.

I was most excited about the HR monitor. This is mixed and I need to investigate further but initially it seemed to work properly, I wore it teaching in a pool and for some workouts. Lately however I noticed it being sometimes off--did not properly respond to extremely low HR when testing in ocean and wearing it in the gym it was way off, wasn't reporting elevated HR. Wrist based sensors are not known to be the best and I seem to be hitting limits with this one. I have friends though who are very happy with the HR feature.

It sends your entire dive profile to your phone so you can see graphs of HR, depth, and temperature which is convenient.

As a freedive watch and watch with GPS features, I can't complain. My F10's never could even keep time (although they worked for diving fine).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Thanks for the review. How does the GPS feature work for navigation? Say you want to find a honey hole you marked previously. Does it give you a little compass type arrow to follow, or does it display an overhead view with your location and your waypoints? Can you import and export waypoints to/from the watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
I broke down and got one (even with discount it was steep for me) after flooding to two F10's in a row. The Garmin charges through the case in a special cradle so it should be impossible to flood, there is no battery to change.

The GPS feature does work as advertised, and if you want a 'smart watch/fitbit' that syncs to your phone and counts your steps and reminds you to move, gets email notifications etc it does all that, too... I turned that off since I like a watch to be seen and not heard, I can manage my own activity thank you.

Battery life is decent but not the same as an old school dive watch. I got 20 hours in dive mode, and it gets several days in watch mode. Recharges in 2 or 3 hours.

I was most excited about the HR monitor. This is mixed and I need to investigate further but initially it seemed to work properly, I wore it teaching in a pool and for some workouts. Lately however I noticed it being sometimes off--did not properly respond to extremely low HR when testing in ocean and wearing it in the gym it was way off, wasn't reporting elevated HR. Wrist based sensors are not known to be the best and I seem to be hitting limits with this one. I have friends though who are very happy with the HR feature.

It sends your entire dive profile to your phone so you can see graphs of HR, depth, and temperature which is convenient.

As a freedive watch and watch with GPS features, I can't complain. My F10's never could even keep time (although they worked for diving fine).

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
growingupninja
Lance

Honestly I have barely used the compass and GPS, but whenever you exit dive mode it makes you save your current location, and during dive mode you can manually set a waypoint. When you sync to your phone it will show all the waypoints you saved during that session on a google type map. If you activate the map in the water it just shows blue but on land (ie with roads etc) you will see your position in google map type display. I am pretty sure the nav feature works well since everything else is so thought out and solid and it will report heading in degrees, etc. It is basically a computer in a watch, they release apps for it and such. The buttons and navigation are actually fairly intuitive for something that does so much. It is pricey though.

I needed something totally relaible for work so a lot of the features are kinda wasted on me, and for hunting I am usuallly on my own boat using that GPS unit, or I am with a buddy who has numbers in a locale that I would always just be going to with them...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
Thanks for the review. How does the GPS feature work for navigation? Say you want to find a honey hole you marked previously. Does it give you a little compass type arrow to follow, or does it display an overhead view with your location and your waypoints? Can you import and export waypoints to/from the watch?

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Honestly I have barely used the compass and GPS, but whenever you exit dive mode it makes you save your current location, and during dive mode you can manually set a waypoint. When you sync to your phone it will show all the waypoints you saved during that session on a google type map. If you activate the map in the water it just shows blue but on land (ie with roads etc) you will see your position in google map type display. I am pretty sure the nav feature works well since everything else is so thought out and solid and it will report heading in degrees, etc. It is basically a computer in a watch, they release apps for it and such. The buttons and navigation are actually fairly intuitive for something that does so much. It is pricey though.

I needed something totally relaible for work so a lot of the features are kinda wasted on me, and for hunting I am usuallly on my own boat using that GPS unit, or I am with a buddy who has numbers in a locale that I would always just be going to with them...!

I've never owned a dive watch before, should I consider one or no? I only ever have to dive like 20 feet to get to the fish
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #12
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
I've never owned a dive watch before, should I consider one or no? I only ever have to dive like 20 feet to get to the fish
I don't miss a dive watch when I am hunting on my own terms but I need it constantly for training, teaching, in water guide, and most importantly of course instabragging. From a safety standpoint they make it easier to monitor your surface interval when hunting deep (whatever that happens to be for you).

Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
malibujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
I just got a watch last year for the first time and dig it! knowing the surface intervals now, it was evident that I was diving way to soon after the previous drop. I too am not a deep diver as I get my fish at 40' and shallower. Buuuut it wasd nice to know I could hit 82 foot comfortably when Lance was here doing a level two course. No more guessing! Get a few of the boys together and head on down, I will give you a smoking deal on a Suunto D4 that I dont need anymore. And as soon as I figure out how to use some features on the new Garmin I just got, I will post up a review myself!
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
davej

Thanks for the review.

I think diving with a freedive watch is great. It makes you a safer diver by easily know breath up time and down time. It also helps me get in a better rythem. Also knowing how deep you see fish etc is good info. You can do some of this with a normal watch but you have to think about it.