Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
dewasw
1st breathe-up May 1937

Someone said Lobster Traps Already Soaking

I googled the question and sure enough it's legal. I didn't know this.
Biologists say there are plenty of lobsters out there to start the Season, but they are already trapped.

from Florida's website:
Spiny Lobster Trap Fishery Traps.
Traps may be baited and placed in the water beginning Aug. 1, but cannot be pulled for harvest until the season opens. http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/c...spiny-lobster/

I
dewasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Someone said Lobster Traps Already Soaking

Yea, the commercial fishing industry likely made the unified voice to the rule makers that they needed to "soak" their traps in order to "season" them to attract the lobster. Otherwise, they're at a disadvantage when season opens. Big money interests + apathetic populace always returns the same result.
Disclaimer: This is all w/o reference. Do the research for yourself.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 08-04-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:09 AM   #3
Keysdivers

Fact is lobster traps do have to soak. Clean, new traps catch nothing.
As far as "big money interests" you are misguided. The big money interests are the recreational sector.
If it were up to the commercial guys and Keys locals there would be no Mini Season.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Originalspearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdivers View Post
As far as "big money interests" you are misguided. The big money interests are the recreational sector.
If it were up to the commercial guys and Keys locals there would be no Mini Season.
Well then I'm damn glad it's not up to them then I've got a business to run that loves diving tourists. FYI Most upcoast divers that dive more than 2x a year and know how to grab a bug don't go to the keys for mini. 1) it's a shit show full of kooks 2) why drive 2 hours south for 6 bugs vs 12 bugs. Although I do think you're most likely speaking from a commercial standpoint not that of a land based business owners perspective. Why would a Keys local who owns a business like I don't know. Let's say a dive shop, hotel/motel on the water, resturant, boat/jet ski/kayak rental service, or a novelty shop that sells little shells and other B.S. not want a 2 day event like mini season??? I'm sure most business owners down there view it as their "Black Friday" Mini Season is a Burden on any Coastal South Floridian local not just the Keys. Your choices are deal with it or move. Cause Mini ain't stopping anytime soon. They'll take more of your traps or quota first.... Believe that
Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
ny_er

Quote:
Then you would just have a million googans on the opening day,

the first couple days of the "season" would become "mini-season"

Do you think if there is no mini-season no one would want to come and dive for lobsters?

trap guys would be trying to pull their traps with people diving all around them even more so the do on the opener now
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
That runs contrary to about every fishery meeting I've been to. The commercial guys are always represented well. Maybe the commercial lobster guys aren't as organized as the commercial fishery.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
spearinghogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalspearch View Post
Well then I'm damn glad it's not up to them then I've got a business to run that loves diving tourists. FYI Most upcoast divers that dive more than 2x a year and know how to grab a bug don't go to the keys for mini. 1) it's a shit show full of kooks 2) why drive 2 hours south for 6 bugs vs 12 bugs. Although I do think you're most likely speaking from a commercial standpoint not that of a land based business owners perspective. Why would a Keys local who owns a business like I don't know. Let's say a dive shop, hotel/motel on the water, resturant, boat/jet ski/kayak rental service, or a novelty shop that sells little shells and other B.S. not want a 2 day event like mini season??? I'm sure most business owners down there view it as their "Black Friday" Mini Season is a Burden on any Coastal South Floridian local not just the Keys. Your choices are deal with it or move. Cause Mini ain't stopping anytime soon. They'll take more of your traps or quota first.... Believe that
Dude where you tank diving off the roadside rocks in the keys on thursday's mini season? Like in 1O feet of water?

Saw you with 2 other dudes 1 of them looks like the other guy in your avatar. Either you have a clone running around or it was you
spearinghogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
Shotmaster

The best use of the resource would be aimed at the recreational/tourist fishermen if you look at revenue opportunities for residents. Tourists use hotels, shop, eat in restaurants, and charter boats to catch a few pounds of fish. Recreational fishermen buy boats, tackle, fuel, pay for maintenance, boat slips, and fuel. The job creation and business revenue far out strips what the commercial use of the resource provides to the overall economy. The commercial revenue is concentrated into the hands of a few, providing very little opportunity except to line their own pockets. This is not an attack on commercial fishermen. Just stating the better use for the resource owned by all of us should be better allocated. I eat the most expensive fish on the planet, taking into account the cost of my boat, maintenance, slip fees, insurance and fuel costs. I could by enough fish, shrimp and lobster for 10 families just with what I spend on slip fees every year.
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Originalspearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearinghogs View Post
Dude where you tank diving off the roadside rocks in the keys on thursday's mini season? Like in 1O feet of water?

Saw you with 2 other dudes 1 of them looks like the other guy in your avatar. Either you have a clone running around or it was you
Def my clone haven't touched a tank in years ... so yeah you'd have to get new glasses
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Originalspearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearinghogs View Post

question for you which guy in my avatar is me???
Old 08-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
OWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmaster View Post
The best use of the resource would be aimed at the recreational/tourist fishermen if you look at revenue opportunities for residents. Tourists use hotels, shop, eat in restaurants, and charter boats to catch a few pounds of fish. Recreational fishermen buy boats, tackle, fuel, pay for maintenance, boat slips, and fuel. The job creation and business revenue far out strips what the commercial use of the resource provides to the overall economy. The commercial revenue is concentrated into the hands of a few, providing very little opportunity except to line their own pockets. This is not an attack on commercial fishermen. Just stating the better use for the resource owned by all of us should be better allocated. I eat the most expensive fish on the planet, taking into account the cost of my boat, maintenance, slip fees, insurance and fuel costs. I could by enough fish, shrimp and lobster for 10 families just with what I spend on slip fees every year.
Yea, the last time I went Lobstering, everybody in the group spent $110.00 on each lobster they caught!
OWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Originalspearch

Quick morning dive with my buddy and the wives 4 person limit in 40 mins only 10ft of water....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
elbala

went to Dania today and that shit looked like a desert.
elbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Shotmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalspearch View Post
Quick morning dive with my buddy and the wives 4 person limit in 40 mins only 10ft of water....

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like one is trying to escape from the herd!
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
Originalspearch

Lol @shotmaster