Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Gopro - Head or Gun Mount?

Good scuba masks and they do have pretty good quality as well , but they have a larger volume and if they dont fit, they dont fit. So if you have a big nose or a weird shaped face, you might not even be able to wear it. I know i couldnt, i just barely fit into the micro mask, wish pretty much has the largest schnoz pocket that ive been able to find so far..
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
AnaerobicAsasin
Tyler

Gun mount, I've used both and hands down gun mount is the way to go. I use the mako mount and which allows you to remove your camera in seconds, for filming partners. Problems I have personally had with head mounting is generally a pain in the ass, generally don't know where your filming, hard to turn on/off from. Also if you don't have a mask mount and wear it with your head strap and zip tie it is a pain/uncomfortable. Also I like the aspect of filming yourself fighting the fish after it has been shot via gun mount.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Scrixx

Send a message via Skype™ to Scrixx

I've never tried the gun mount but I recently bought a GoPro and wore it a few times on dives.

Some things I can say for sure is I've dove around kelp a dozen times and never got tangled until I got the GoPro. Kelp loves to get tangled with it for some reason.

Another thing is the head strap isn't secure enough.Your GoPro will come off sometimes. What I did was run a strap through the strap and attached it to my mask strap. So even if it comes off it'll just dangle around.

Good luck! Here's a minute long video I took. The head strapped GoPro pretty much records what you look at provided you position it right. The first dive I did with it wasn't properly positioned and it saw absolutely nothing.

Scrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Albondiga
A Harmer

I put the head strap under my hood. I have never had any serious tangle issues in thick kelp, but I usually try to not plow through the middle of the thick stuff.

I recently made a gun mount and I enjoy the results immensely. Getting the camera closer to the subject is always better. I have way more issues with the gun mount catching on kelp than the head mount though. Nothing breaks the heart more than spooking a nice wsb because some kelp wrapped your gun camera.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Albondiga
A Harmer

Gun mounted filmage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzoT5fR9vY

Head mounted filmage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFIVoWJM7wU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34QgwzFvVdc

Hybrid filmage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bizv...6PNI3IyAzbl3Ew
Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Only problem with the head mounted filming, GOPRO or Liquid Image is that you really really need to be conscious of moving your head slowly to get good clean footage, takes a lot of effort
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Only problem with the head mounted filming, GOPRO or Liquid Image is that you really really need to be conscious of moving your head slowly to get good clean footage, takes a lot of effort
For sure! I still have whole dives I just have to toss the video out because I was moving my head too much.
I have started counting in my head when I get to a good subject. I stop, count to 5 and then keep going.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Thanks for posting these! I really enjoyed watching the vids!

Does anyone have any pics of gun mounts that they'd be willing to post?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
After comparing the videos, I really see what you mean.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrab87 View Post
Thanks for posting these! I really enjoyed watching the vids!

Does anyone have any pics of gun mounts that they'd be willing to post?
Mine was unbelievably simple to make. I took some flat stock aluminum. I guessed how far the camera needed to be from the bands, and cut the stock metal that long. I drilled a hole in one end for a 1/4 x 20 bolt (standard tripod thread), and got the Gopro adapter. The other side I mounted to the gun by drilling two holes to match the Riffe line holder pattern. I pulled the line holder, put in the aluminum, reattached. It adds some weight, and the gun pulls down on the left, but I love the shots I get.

I was inspired to make this mount by some of this guys projects. He has some awesome underwater filming ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/sumogurinet

Here is one of his camera mounting videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLg3...s-nGxp0BsFTFHA
Old 10-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Stealth Hunter

How did you mount it to your mask? Details. Close up pic please. I lost my first go pro when head strap slipped off.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
laguna80
El Capitan

I've done it both ways, but I like it much better on the gun than the head. I mount mine near the front, I get much better steady shots and get closer to the subject that way. If I dive with anyone we go our separate ways so I'm not worried about filming them. I've the micromask and I just used marine grade jb weld to attach the gopro tripod mount to the mask on the forehead portion between the eyes. It was super easy to do, I just followed someone's instructions here on spearboard. Main thing is to do test runs at home to get the angle right for filming. Then mark the attachments so you can line it up every time you attach it. Oh and make sure you tighten that screw down tight, otherwise some kelp will screw up the angle and you'll be none the wiser. Another reason why I like it on the gun better.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
laguna80
El Capitan

Here's the site I found that shows how to attach it to two masks, the omer alien and micromask. http://spearbig.com/how-to/mounting-...o-a-dive-mask/
Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
How did you mount it to your mask? Details. Close up pic please. I lost my first go pro when head strap slipped off.
Just put it under your hood, it is pretty easy, and will not go anywhere unless the screw falls out.