Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
rockylinx

Re: Beginner fins

MAKO!!!

Price: $89.95

Plus they have size 14-15
rockylinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo094 View Post
I heard Mako footpockets are suitable for wide feet.
I will vouch for this as makos are the most comfortable foot pocket for my wide ass feet. I like the soft plastic blades as well.
Mike
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

+1 to MAKO.

I'm using the competition freediver (plastic) fins. They beat the hell out of my Garas.

I'm not saying Garas are bad fins, but I have wide feet. The Gara's cramped me up all the time. If I had narrow feet, I'd probably have no complaints.

Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
AndrewK

Garas have a very soft footpocket almost like a low end snorkeling fin. While I have used them and liked them, I now own makos with the plastic medium blades and prefer their footpocket over the garas. Soft enough to be comfortable but not soft enough to lose energy in your kicks which Ive noticed with the gara fins.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
Garas have a very soft footpocket almost like a low end snorkeling fin. While I have used them and liked them, I now own makos with the plastic medium blades and prefer their footpocket over the garas. Soft enough to be comfortable but not soft enough to lose energy in your kicks which Ive noticed with the gara fins.
How do you find the sizing? Being here in Barbados i can only try out the foot pockets for Beuchat Mundials so ordering fins online is a stab in the dark to some extent. I have heard the Gara's are very similar to the Beuchats in terms of sizing, how do the Mako's size up? I am very tempted for the fiberglass Mako's or even the plastic competition ones.

They do have some size guide on this page but i dont wear neoprene socks and am a size 9, i can only assume i should go for 8-9
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
AndrewK

I ordered the size 10-11 and use 2mm socks with them. Havent had any issues with the sizing, they work for me with and without the socks and I have a pretty average foot. The nice thing about the makos is being able to change the blades - If you decide to go with the plastic blades first and then choose to upgrade to fiberglass blades you can save yourself some coin for starters. I prefer the plastic since I work on a dive boat and I can beat on them a little bit more then I would if I had fiberglass blades. I also bounce back and forth between shallow freediving and SCUBA and they work great for both applications. You can also pick up fin keepers - http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mfdfk.htm and use them if you plan on diving without socks and they will help with keeping your fins more secure. I have them myself and use them when I dont wear socks.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
I ordered the size 10-11 and use 2mm socks with them. Havent had any issues with the sizing, they work for me with and without the socks and I have a pretty average foot. The nice thing about the makos is being able to change the blades - If you decide to go with the plastic blades first and then choose to upgrade to fiberglass blades you can save yourself some coin for starters. I prefer the plastic since I work on a dive boat and I can beat on them a little bit more then I would if I had fiberglass blades. I also bounce back and forth between shallow freediving and SCUBA and they work great for both applications.
And what size feet do you have? I have heard that fiberglass in most cases will be stronger than plastic fins. I was looking at either the fiberglass beuchat's or the gara 3000's
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
AndrewK

I wear an 11. Ive heard that too on the FG blades but ive never owned them so I cant comment on them.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
AlexbeeintheUK

OK cool, that has put my mind at ease. I would be ordering them to be delivered either directly here or via some family in NY. Some companies dont ship outside the US which means i have to pay postage twice and duty when it arrives

This makes it all the more worthwhile to go straight for the FG ones and swallow the $220 in my opinion