Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
bigeyedave

sec 29.15 (f) violation today

I have been ab diving since I was 12 years old. I got a ticket today. The first one ever, and I couldn't believe it. The kelp is very thick and there was a large ground swell. I was out with my kayak alone and diving fairly deep. I had a light in my left hand and only my 9 inch ab gauge in my right. I was measuring abs and when I would find an ab about 9 I would pop it off with my hand. I removed 2 abs on my first dive and my third ab on my fourth dive. I removed and retained only 3. Tagged them and filled out the card as instructed. I had a bar with a 7 inch gauge in my kayak, in the same bag I put the abs in. The officer watched me dive and fish for several hours and then met me on shore and wrote me ticket for not measuring them with a 7 inch gauge even though most exceeded the 9 inch gauge I was using and I had a 7 inch gauge/bar in the kayak. I guess you have to DIVE with a 7 inch caliper measuring device. It is not good enough to have it in your float or kayak. Just wanted you all to learn from my misfortune. I couldn't believe it. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I have to appear in court in Dec.
Dave

Last edited by bigeyedave; 12-04-2008 at 10:36 PM.
bigeyedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
=pilot=

Re: sec 29.15 (f) violation today

How did he know you were diving with the 9 and not the 7? That would be hard to tell from the shore.
=pilot= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
seacrecher
Registered Fish Killer

You have got to be kidding!

I would definitely be fighting that one in court!

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

"Welcome to the Hotel California...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
seacrecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Ron S

I've heard of this before. Makes no sense whatsoever, but apparently it's something they like to go after. Sorry to hear you got cited.
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
fish impaler

dude thats just so messed up that poachers get away with it and they spend time nailing people for crap like this
fish impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

c.s. ticket...take both bars to court and demonstrate how you use the larger bar to ensure you never take a short...ask that it be dismissed in the interest of justice..finalize your argument by pointing out there is the legal aspect of the law but, there is also the spirit of the law which is to ensure no short abs are taken..you met that requirement and then, some....unfortunately, common sense isn't a measureable quantity when hiring law enforcement personnel....I would also file a letter of complaint to F&G headquarters with a cover letter asking that your complaint be put in his personnel file...enough citizen complaints and his advancement will be limited....you could also argue that under the law, there is a minimum requirement for measuring abs but the law has no requirement to prohibit measuring abs by using a larger measurement standard that would ensure you are well within the law...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 10-16-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
tommy7

The guy sits there for several hours and wants something to show for his time spent
Thanks for letting eveyone know once again to dot their IIs and cross their TTs, don't let them find anything.........
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
offduty

I'm speechless.
Thank You for posting. Unbelievable
Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
fish impaler

your lobster card $$ at work
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
DarenDeath
fish breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
c.s. ticket...take both bars to court and demonstrate how you use the larger bar to ensure you never take a short...ask that it be dismissed in the interest of justice..finalize your argument by pointing out there is the legal aspect of the law but, there is also the spirit of the law which is to ensure no short abs are taken..you met that requirement and then, some....unfortunately, commen sense isn't a measureable quantity when hiring law enforcement personnel....I would also file a letter of complaint to F&G headquarters with a cover letter asking that your complaint be put in his personnel file...enough citizen complaints and his advancement will be limited....
I totally agree here. If you bring your gauge and show them that you had the legal gauge on board and you took Abs that are clearly larger (2inches) than the legal size. I bet it'll get tossed out.
Of course I'm no lawyer
DarenDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Nekton

If what you describe is accurate, how does CDF&G expect anyone to respect the regulations when their own officers pull crap like this?

I talked to a diver today who said he intentionally uses a 3.27" fixed lobster guage just to make certain if the carapace touches there's never any doubt that it's legal, and he doesn't have to make a close judgement call in the water. I thought it was a good idea, but according to the officer you encountered this guy is clearly cheating the law also. That's 'effed up. LA/

I'm just going to add that I hope most CDF&G enforcement officers are smarter than this. A few bad ones can make the entire department look ridiculous.
Nekton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
Kelsea
judge of my domain

I seriously hope you challenge this when you go to court.

It really concerns me that the state is more strict about this kind of stuff than domestic violence, the budget crisis, our crappy roads, and ya know, real problems.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
fish impaler

all those people who say to file off part of you bug gauge clearly should be locked up
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #14
p944

Sometimes, I think some enforcement agents just don't want anyone to ab dive.

Below is the regulation off dfg.ca.gov.

(f) Measuring Device: Every person while taking abalone shall carry a fixed-caliper measuring gauge capable of accurately measuring seven inches. The measuring device shall have fixed opposing arms of sufficient length to measure the abalone by placing the gauge over the shell.

The important words being "taking" and "Carry". While the officer have a cause in issuing the ticket. It does not mean the court agrees with that. Nothing keeps you from writing a letter to the judge / DA before the hearing, and that may save you a trip up north.

Did the office KNOW you didn't use the 7" gauge by watching? Or did he come up with that conclusion based on your appearance at the shore?

Good luck, and let us know the outcome. This is one of most ridiculous ab tickets I've heard.
p944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #15
dennishaussler

bigeye,
thats a total bummer pal.
I had heard they would do this if they caught it, but not when you had one in your board.
sonoma coast is the worst, theres some real cheesedicks down there.
fight it, you live close, and maybe you can beat this.

120 ft
Cause its a long way up,,,,,,,,
dennishaussler is offline   Reply With Quote