Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
grey2112

My first trip to the Middle Grounds

A good buddy of mine who I helped get into spearing, as well as taking him out on my boat numerous times, won a raffle for a trip for 4 to the MG. Off-the-Wall Charters has a 36 foot Predator with triple 300s and took us out last Saturday - almost didn't go due to dicey predictions, but we left the dock in Tierra Verde at 0530 and ran for 2 hours in the dark before making the "Go-No Go" decision and we said "GO!". One more hour and we were there, in 115-120 feet.

I must admit to some trepidation as I have only dove past 100 feet twice in my diving career, and those not spearing. Over 600 dives and only twice. But my gear was in great shape, I had my pony bottle, computer set, and most importantly my mind was at ease and on point. A good night's sleep, 6 days off from work prior to the trip, and mentally I was ready. My plan was to take my descent easy and hover 15-20 feet off the bottom, looking for fish, but relaxing and enjoying the experience. If I ended up with no fish at all, I was still going to be happy.

My first dive I never even pulled the trigger. But on my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dives I ended up with my personal best hogfish, my first scamp grouper, got a nice lionfish, and had my first MG shark experience.

In all honesty, it was fun and I can say I did it, but if I had to pay full retail I probably wouldn't do it again - for the same money, I could pay for gas on 5-8 trips on my buddy's boats, not spend 3 hours getting to our dive spots, have more bottom time, and see more interesting sights underwater. But of course the chance of getting a really big fish are diminished.

Anyway, here's a video I put together - not my best work, but the lighting, depths, and haze in the water worked against me. Hope you enjoy.

grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: My first trip to the Middle Grounds

Congrats on your first MG trip and glad to hear you got a personal best Hogfish. From my experience, September and October are extremely slow months for the Grounds so the fact you did not see a lot of fish does not surprise me. I would not let this trip be the barometer for what to typically expect out there. Winter, spring, and early summer are usually the best times to go imo. However, weather, water temperature, and food supply play a big factor in which of those time is most productive.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Congrats on your first MG trip and glad to hear you got a personal best Hogfish. From my experience, September and October are extremely slow months for the Grounds so the fact you did not see a lot of fish does not surprise me. I would not let this trip be the barometer for what to typically expect out there. Winter, spring, and early summer are usually the best times to go imo. However, weather, water temperature, and food supply play a big factor in which of those time is most productive.
Agreed, but I guess at my age and at my income level, I would rather take the same money and get 5-8 trips, more bottom time, and have less risk. I'm not about filling the cooler anymore since I maybe eat fish once a week and am not a commercial diver.

Old age maybe, but I'm having a ball just sightseeing underwater now, finding new spots in shallower water, and occasionally taking a few fish for dinner.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Dbrown

Congrats on the personal best Hogfish! Very cool that you got to get out there. You can't live here and dive as much as you have and not go at least the once!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
sharpshooter

Eric, glad to hear you finally made it out there. Did you post the video on utube? Not showing up on my computer.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Agreed, but I guess at my age and at my income level, I would rather take the same money and get 5-8 trips, more bottom time, and have less risk. I'm not about filling the cooler anymore since I maybe eat fish once a week and am not a commercial diver. Old age maybe, but I'm having a ball just sightseeing underwater now, finding new spots in shallower water, and occasionally taking a few fish for dinner.
Rogers on the shallow water diving. Even during my commercial spearfishing days I much preferred that 65 to 90’ diving off Steinhatchee and Carrabelle vs. the Middle Grounds. We would dive the Grounds a bit in the winter if the fish were in there…..but I mostly went there in late spring to early summer as the water warmed and the bait moved out deeper. I would take my boat to Carrabelle around November 15th and bring it back to Madeira Beach around Easter.

Those Gags would stack up on those rock piles off Steinhatchee in the late fall when those glass minnows moved in there. Many of those Gags would hang around all winter as long as it didn’t get too cold (below 60 degrees). If it got too cold the fish would move offshore to the deeper water…….usually the Middle Grounds.
Find the food……find the fish!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Glad you had the experience! Frisky shark... Would have enjoyed seeing a few more savage pokes
Old 10-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Eric, glad to hear you finally made it out there. Did you post the video on utube? Not showing up on my computer.
It should be available in my first post. If not, go to my YT page and you can see it there.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Rogers on the shallow water diving. Even during my commercial spearfishing days I much preferred that 65 to 90’ diving off Steinhatchee and Carrabelle vs. the Middle Grounds. We would dive the Grounds a bit in the winter if the fish were in there…..but I mostly went there in late spring to early summer as the water warmed and the bait moved out deeper. I would take my boat to Carrabelle around November 15th and bring it back to Madeira Beach around Easter.

Those Gags would stack up on those rock piles off Steinhatchee in the late fall when those glass minnows moved in there. Many of those Gags would hang around all winter as long as it didn’t get too cold (below 60 degrees). If it got too cold the fish would move offshore to the deeper water…….usually the Middle Grounds.
Find the food……find the fish!
Yeah, and with me not eating grouper anymore (I always trade it for hogfish or give it to friends) it isn't a huge deal anymore for me to go after them.

Still, it was fun and I can say I did it.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Glad you had the experience! Frisky shark... Would have enjoyed seeing a few more savage pokes
Meh, he was just curious - I never got the feeling he was aggressive. It was actually kind of neat being the only diver all day to have encountered one.