Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #31
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo
Re: cabo in shore report

I hope this thread isn't getting too monotonous,,,but I went out to the breakwater again. I'll back up a little and mention I was in Puebla MX. looking at a college for my daughter. Beautifull area, but cold and rainy while we were there. I got back to the warmth of los Cabos and just wanted to jump in the water. I knew the conditions wouldn't be ideal. Medium tide going low with a little bit of wind chop. One fisherman in the middle of the breakwater right where I got my last pargo. I got in the water and it felt like it dropped a degree to 73. The viz was clear enough but the sardines, that were thick along the whole length of the rocks, had dwindled into seperate little pockets. I swam around the fisherman and went right to where I thought the big pargo would be that I keep seeing. I started searching the openings in the rocks and after a few minutes a see a head stick out. I realized pretty quickly that it wasn't the one I was looking for but nevertheless I took the shot from above and actually stoned him. In and out of the water in 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170314 (800x600).jpg
Views:	939
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	92628  
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Nice 15 min. dip WTG
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
stevencabo
tercermundista

A friend, Cris, called me up to go diving. He's been recovering from back surgery and chomping at the bit to get out in the water. He didn't want to push things so he said he was not going to wear fins and I would have to load his gun for him. We agreed to go see what was happening at the breakwater.
Conditions looked good, the water is cooling down, maybe it's 69. The viz was clear but cloudy, pockets of sardines were along the breakwater. Cris swam out from the breakwater and I stayed over the rocks. Right away I see a sand dab swimming up from the sand onto the rocks. I follow him to where he settles into a sandy spot and get him. I tie him off and cris is next to me asking me to reload his gun again, he missed a shot at a sierra. I start working my way down the rocks again and five minutes later he yells he got the sierra. I go over to reload his gun, go back to the rocks to finish the sweep of the rocks. I get around the corner and find, in an open area between the rocks, a nice pargo looking up at his private school of sardines. I get him, tie him off and start heading back. I stop about where I got the first sand dab and decide to descale the pargo in the water. As I'm peelin off the scales, I unknowingly, kick up another sand dab with my fins and watch him bury himself about eight feet away. I looked down once to load my gun and when I looked up he had blended in perfectly with the sand. I knew about where he was and was able to get him too.
It was a nice dive for both of us. Almost a cabo triple play by me. Even though Cris shot the sierra, he couldn't have done it without me loading his gun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1220328 (800x600).jpg
Views:	871
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	93037   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220326 (800x600).jpg
Views:	844
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	93038   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220321 (640x480).jpg
Views:	930
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	93040   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220325 (800x600).jpg
Views:	941
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	93041   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220330 (640x480).jpg
Views:	878
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	93042  

Old 02-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
stevencabo
tercermundista

No fish to report. I've been down to the breakwater a couple times this week. The first time, when we got down to the beach, we could see 5 or 6 six fisherman scrammbling up and down the rocks, 2 pangas catching bait and a couple of charter boats lined up waiting for bait. A little too much pressure on the spot to get a go out. We were cockblocked, we ended up walking in the other direction and going out. The second time I went out, there was only one fisherman. I swam/floated the length of the breakwater and didn't see pargo or cabrilla. The sardines were less and in smaller pockets. I did see the regular grunts, chubs and croakers. I also saw some bonita's go flying by. Also, btw, after futher review of my fish pictures from my last post, I think I got that pargo that had been evading me for the last month.
The weather has cooled down to normal winter conditions in Cabo. We've been having gulf wind which seems to keep temps the upper 70's. The water feels like it's in the lower 70's, maybe 69. So far, no green water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1300354 (800x600).jpg
Views:	754
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	93979  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #35
derekforreal

these reports are awsome. That looks like an absolutely amazing beach dive that i would do over and over again... Great fish, looks like a few different depth ranges out to a few hundred yards off the beach... do you find most of the fish close in the really chunky rocky stuff or along the edge?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #36
stevencabo
tercermundista

Some of my favorite catches are really close to shore in five to fifteen feet of water, and usually rocky.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #37
stevencabo
tercermundista

Conditions today are really nice. The water feels like it warmed up a bit, maybe 72, and the visibility is clear with no green water.
This morning I saw the pangas up close to shore. They way the fish were jumping they looked like sierras. They were so close I really wanted to jump in to see what was going on and maybe spear something. I decided that it was probably not a good idea and went up the road to a more familiar spot.
I get to the beach and see a solitary pelican diving on the bait and choose to go dive where the pelican is. I do the power swim to where the bait is and come up to a wall of sardines hugging the shoreline. The next hundred yards of beach was full of sardines but I see nothing. Then I come upon the rocks. I really didn't expect to find anything because the sardines had stopped and now I was swimming over urchin infested rocks in very shallow water, maybe 10 yards from shore.
And all of a sudden there I was, face to face with a nice looking pargo. He was hiding in a small open area in the rocks. I had surprised him just as much as he had surprised me. I wasn't positve it was a pargo untill he turned. I shot and he took off and took me for a ride. Hydroplaning over the urchins, I followed him untill he had holed up in a lung busting 3 fsw. I did the six pack grab into the eyeballs to get him back to the beach. I was in the water maybe 30 minutes and never got more than 20 yards from shore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2140476 (800x600).jpg
Views:	730
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	95302   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140477 (800x600).jpg
Views:	736
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	95303   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140483 (640x480).jpg
Views:	736
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	95304   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140489 (640x480).jpg
Views:	829
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	95307  
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #38
stevencabo
tercermundista

We've been having some really nice weather this week. It's been in the 80's with water temps in the lo 70's. Since my last pargo I've been back once to swim with the sardines. I saw cabrilla and Jack Crevalle. The cabrillas were to quick but the jacks would have been an easy shot, but I just can't eat jack crevalle.
I got down to the beach late this afternoon wondering if the sardines were still there. I could see the pelicans diving on the bait so I quickly got ready to go out. Some buddies of mine were working on the house next door and they were also there a couple days earlier when I saw the jacks. They asked me then why I didn't shoot the jacks and I told them I don't like them.
So this time I asked them if they wanted one and they said yes with no hesitation.
I get in the water and the vis was pretty bad, enough to see a few feet past the end of my speargun. It was a rising tide with a little bit of south swell. I wasn't in the water more than ten minutes when I saw the jacks tail go by me through the murk. I took the shot and got him. I wanted to stay out longer because I saw some cabrillas but a fish scale got jambed into the slide ring of the ice pick and I couldn't get it unjambed. Kinda cool to offer someone a fish and come back a few minutes later with the goods.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2180492 (800x600).jpg
Views:	672
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	95763   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2180494 (800x600).jpg
Views:	784
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	95764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2180495 (640x480).jpg
Views:	705
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	95765  
Old 02-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #39
Mike Eberhardt
Colonel

I love these posts, please don't stop!
Mike Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
stevencabo
tercermundista

Thanks Mike, encouraging words, but it's not always like this. It sure helps to have all the sardines piled up aganist the shore.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #41
stevencabo
tercermundista

As of this morning the sardines are still in the same place. I found this guy hiding in a sandy area between some rocks, under a ceiling of sardines,,in about six feet of water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2210533 (800x600).jpg
Views:	643
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	95902   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210536 (800x600).jpg
Views:	657
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	95903  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #42
stevencabo
tercermundista

My expectations were high when I arrived at the beach this morning. High tide, warm air and glassy. Also, last time I was out I got a cabrilla but I saw a big tail of probably a pargo. I was thinking postitve.
I get to the beach and see a panga catching bait, sitting right on the X where I've run into some nice fish. I also notice the pelicans aren't diving on bait like before. I get in the water and see it's green. I don't know what it is about the green water, but things just don't look as nice underwater when everything is green. Swam up and down the whole beach and saw nothing. I even walked down to the breakwater and saw nothing,,,but green water. I did see small schools of tiny sardines and the regular reef fish. Seems like when the green water hangs around the fish disappear.
On a positive note, when the panga left I swam over to where he was and ran into a school, in the hundreds, of medium size jack cravalles. We watced each other for about ten minutes. I looked really hard at each one to make sure there wasn't an amberjack or other fish mixed in with them. Kinda neat to have fish like that circling around you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2250566 (800x600).jpg
Views:	641
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	96279  
Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #43
stevencabo
tercermundista

Things might be slowing down. My fish tally for the last month.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1220322 (600x800).jpg
Views:	684
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	96280   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2010365 (600x800).jpg
Views:	677
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	96281   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2040380 (800x600).jpg
Views:	666
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	96282   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140485 (800x600).jpg
Views:	679
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	96283   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210531 (600x800).jpg
Views:	672
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	96284  

Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #44
Styric
Da Sea Kitten Lova

Stevencabo - Do you know a guy down there named Temo? He ran/runs Pacific Coast Adventures.

"Full fathom five thy father lies:
Of his bones are coral made:
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange."

-William Shakespeare
Styric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #45
stevencabo
tercermundista

No, I haven't met him. Is that a scuba diving business?