Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Zenon

tied up at 55 and cut my finger - co2 float too

I haven't been in the water for about 3 weeks so I carved out a time Sunday morning to go. I was planning on a shore dive but a buddy suggested we take his boat out of mission bay. We did and were in the water by 8:30 . Water started to get a little choppy but the vis was a diveable 10-20'.

The first spot wasn't going and we headed to another after 1.5 hrs. By the time we got back in I had only 30 mins before we had to head back in to be home in time for baby duty. Just before it was time to go Steve signals that he saw a fish. The spot felt good and I doubled back towards him. No sooner did I see a resting fish about 20' down.

I had clipped the new co2 float to the rear of the gun. I had a lot going on there and was concerned about some metal to metal connections. Sure enough when I made the swing the clips made the slightest of noise and the fish started moving as I approached. My window was closing fast so I made the shot from about 12'

Back to the co2 float. I was reading bill mac's thread (I think) about fish tieing up deep and how the co2 float helps a ton if you need it to bring the fish up. My last dive after shooting the fish and putting the float (a manual inflate carter) I didn't secure it so I lost the float. Everything happens for a reason, right? When I ordered the new co2 float I also got a new spetton style knife because bill mac also advised in another thread on how a good sharp knife can save your life.

So the fish hit the gas and I hit the brakes. It was a losing battle in the thick kelp. I knew we were deep and I wanted to keep the fish off the bottom. I felt like I did a good job between being pulled under of keeping the fish up. When the struggled stopped I tied everything up by manually inflating the carter co2 float.

Steve dropped what he was doing and came over to help. After 15 minutes we realized the fish tied up near the bottom in 55ft. This is prob 10ft below my comfort level although diving that deep isn't a problem. Once we realized the fish was tied up good(by the way my new wong 55" is 3 for 3 now and the shots go exactly where pointed!) the strategy changed. We got the guns on the boat and deflated the float in order to use it as suggested. After a few dives (we were both tired by this point) Steve managed to attach the float to the sliptip line and trigger the co2. Perfect! Although the fish did not come to the surface it did come up to 40ft. From here we were able to tag team and cut the slip line and grab the fish.

All that was left was retreiving the shaft. It dropped back down to the bottom and wouldn't come out. At this point I was hoping that Steve would get the shaft on his next dive because I was not enjoying diving down to 55 over and over. He missed and thankfully I found it in the murk on my next drop.

So to make a short story long, I am not sure we would have retreived the fish and gear at that depth without the co2 float. Not to mention the new knife was razor sharp and made work down deep much easier and reliable. ....and without a good dive buddy......forget it.

Finally when I got the fish home it weighed in at 43lbs gutted. I broke out the new forschner 8" breaking knife and was trying to make quick work of the fish because my wife was done babysitting 2 kids and a baby while I was out having fun. One of my first cuts resulted in a trip to the doctors office to repair the wound. Damn that knife is sharp and I now have kid duty for the next month I bet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG959626.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	190838  
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

Re: tied up at 55 and cut my finger - co2 float too

Awesome fish and great lessons learned!

Next time use the buddy's finger for sharpness checking though...
bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Bill McIntyre

Great story, great fish!

I'm glad to hear that the float helped bringing up the fish. I hope to be able to use my float one day soon.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Spearforfun

Finally.... a good trip report! Thanks for sharing!
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
YakAtak
Izabella's Dad

Send a message via Yahoo to YakAtak

Dude...you got cut with the new Forschner? I thought it was with your old dull knife. A sharp knife is supposed to keep you from getting cut.

Oh...almost forgot...PRICK!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
maguimaraes
Marcelo

Good job! My new gun has been in the water a few times but no kill yet! A float will be added to my gear bag soon and I need to get some practice on the deeper dives!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
GREENBEAN88

I love the times when you have not been in the water for a while an then you still get blessed with a nice fish. Stoked for you!!!
GREENBEAN88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
carrasco

Awesome having a dive partner that will work as hard as you to retrieve your fish- that makes the victory a shared one. Congrats and I agree; it is so refreshing to read a thread that is drama free!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
toptuna

Zenon get on of the forschner stainless lined gloves. I got mine from Knife Merchant. It is better than going to the ER. I make my wife wear it whenever she grabs a knife after two visits to the ER from her opening a cereal box with a knife. Don't ask......
Old 06-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Lompoc Local
Errin

Nice work dude, keep it up.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Cameronv
Ando26

Nice nice nice
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
KelpOdyssey

Awesome fish. Good story. Sounds like it was a lot of work. Glad you made it out safe.
KelpOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Zenon

Thanks all.
I see gloves in my future!
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
surforfish
Ocho Loko

Send a message via AIM to surforfish

Good thing someone got the skunk off that boat.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
rhyne

way to go Zenon... thanks for sharing the story too. It seems like every retrieval i make comes with a slightly new lesson and sharing stories like this are so valuable to those coming up the ranks and looking for their first WSB. Having a float is such an important piece of gear for these fish. if you're new and can't afford a CO2 float for whatever reason... get a cheaper non-CO2 float until you can afford a better one. there's plenty of situations where any kind of float is better than none.

nice fish by the way, prick

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote