Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Riffe or Koah
Riffe Euro 35 32.41%
Koah Euro 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #46
spearq8

Re: Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

The Riffe Euro X is a great gun and very popular. Never tried a Koah, but I have 5 Riffe Euro X's and a couple of Euro's. But really you have to change the default configuration to get good performance. The default bands are too loose and there is about 10cm more overhang on the default shaft than should be. Also the front line guide is totally unnecessary as the mag track can keep the shaft in place without having a shooting line go over. It certainly is not an Abellan or an Ulusub, but for a production gun it is one of the best. Those few things cause the gun to shoot low and give the gun a bad rep as being inaccurate. It is actually one of the most accurate guns out there and in the last target shooting competition I competed in the top 3 finishers were all Riffe Euro X 120's.I would stay away from the other Riffe's as I think they are simply surpassed in design by the Riffe Euro's.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #47
P-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
I knew the direction of this thread the second it was posted and honestly I wish i hadn't even clicked on in the first place. These types of x vs y threads are getting out of hand, and at this point its not a matter of what gun is actually good anymore, but really how much shit you feel like talking at that moment...and how many others out there that believe the crap that your'e shoveling too.

I know Im just a stupid Keys resident that drinks a lot beer and doesn't always wear matching socks, but...yeah you are

AJP if you havn't seen ONE single post on this entire forum about people explaining why the like their koahs, your selective reading skills are on point and i congratulate you on such an acquired talent.

Fact of the matter is, I love my Koah. Does it really matter what anyone 'thinks or feels' about it?? HELL NO. Because Im going to use it regardless. Everyone has the right to their opinion. I could go on for days about the products/people i hate... at the end of the day, what the hell is the point?? If i keep down that path in life, ill just be a bitter old man...

To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart. John has his heart in the right place, and he's selling guns worldwide.

"holy crap, i think you're right!! Youve changed my mind and I agree with your opinion" - said no one on the internet ever
Noted, but really??? Sharing negative experiences becomes bashing? Really?

I thought that the point of online reviews and sharing of experiences were to provide information through actual firsthand knowledge regardless of where in the world someone dives and not mere speculation in order to allow people to make weighted and informed decisions. The group of us who bought our guns form John, performed our due diligence, found only rave reviews about Koah and made the decision to purchase, in part, based on those reviews. Well color us stupid for heeding the advice given on the internet.

Sorry, I will have to disagree with you, it is not bashing. My intent is not to bash but simply share first hand experiences.
Quote:
People have their options and then people have facts(usually these 'facts' will come from someone that actually owns the product in question, except on spearboard of course).
I truly wish our Koah experience was the exact opposite of what it turned out to be. If you honestly think that the right thing to do is remain completely silent when the OP requested info then you are the one pissing in the wind with others suffering the consequences.

Essentially, stating what you did and how you did it, to a greater or lesser degree, unwittingly bolstered my perception of the myopic cult following. “Shoot down, with prejudice, those that speak ill of the almighty Koah.

I’m sorry, but I expect a little more from a “custom” gun builder and believe they, by their own admission, should be held to a higher standard. If they are not, they should not refer to themselves as a custom gun builder. To quote Koah, “hand designed and custom made with the finest quality materials. We were determined to create a brand that exemplifies the best in functionality: tracking, range, and laser-sharp accuracy.”

Unfortunately, this is not what we experienced and sharing this is not bashing, nor is it in any way an attempt to sway you to give up your Koah guns or steer people from a Koah purchase. It is nothing more and nothing less than a shared experience and a concise reason, given a choice, for my preference of Riffe over Koah, taking the whole picture into account. Try and keep that in mind.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #48
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post

I thought that the point of online reviews and sharing of experiences were to provide information through actual firsthand knowledge regardless of where in the world someone dives and not mere speculation in order to allow people to make weighted and informed decisions. The group of us who bought our guns form John, performed our due diligence, found only rave reviews about Koah and made the decision to purchase, in part, based on those reviews. Well color us stupid for heeding the advice given on the internet.

Sorry, I will have to disagree with you, it is not bashing. My intent is not to bash but simply share first hand experiences.

I truly wish our Koah experience was the exact opposite of what it turned out to be. If you honestly think that the right thing to do is remain completely silent when the OP requested info then you are the one pissing in the wind with others suffering the consequences.

Essentially, stating what you did and how you did it, to a greater or lesser degree, unwittingly bolstered my perception of the myopic cult following. “Shoot down, with prejudice, those that speak ill of the almighty Koah.

I’m sorry, but I expect a little more from a “custom” gun builder and believe they, by their own admission, should be held to a higher standard. If they are not, they should not refer to themselves as a custom gun builder. To quote Koah, “hand designed and custom made with the finest quality materials. We were determined to create a brand that exemplifies the best in functionality: tracking, range, and laser-sharp accuracy.”

Unfortunately, this is not what we experienced and sharing this is not bashing, nor is it in any way an attempt to sway you to give up your Koah guns or steer people from a Koah purchase. It is nothing more and nothing less than a shared experience and a concise reason, given a choice, for my preference of Riffe over Koah, taking the whole picture into account. Try and keep that in mind.
Okay, the Koah guys came on and gave specifics from their end. Now, your turn. What specifically, did you, and your mates, not like? Without specifics, it is simply brand bashing.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

What's a euro?

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com

Last edited by Lyterkillsling; 05-23-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #50
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post

I thought that th--blah blah blah big word blah blah....imply brand brashing

Quote:
Your feedback is necessary to this post, As long as your opinion is legitimate, backed with a reasonable explanation, and not something you read about online. Im glad you chimed in, good or bad. Tooling and finish is something thats important for any gun, Euros or not.

lol @ This thread. Take all of my comments over the past few years and completely ignore them. I sincerely thank you for laughs, but I cant continue in this train wreck of a thread any longer.

I got much less productive things to do right now.

kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #51
kwtony
Snorkel Master

One LAST thing, i promise. Considering the OP hasn't once chimed in, he apparently works at a dive shop, owns a c4 carbon, likes rollers, and lives around broward on the beach, oohh and apparently also owns a biller....ultimately what im getting at... I need to come up with another fake screen name so i can make bull shit posts like this too. I bet Tony (spearmax) is having a blast watching this unfold. You can sure tell its windy folks...

Dont you guys get it, we've been punked!!!!

When you're done reading this thread, here is some quality entertainment for you guys

Solid Potato Salad - The Ross Sisters (1944) - YouTube

Last edited by kwtony; 05-20-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #52
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
One LAST thing, i promise. Considering the OP hasn't once chimed in, he apparently works at a dive shop, owns a c4 carbon, likes rollers, and lives around broward on the beach, oohh and apparently also owns a biller....ultimately what im getting at... I need to come up with another fake screen name so i can make bull shit posts like this too. I bet Tony (spearmax) is having a blast watching this unfold. You can sure tell its windy folks...

Dont you guys get it, we've been punked!!!!

When you're done reading this thread, here is some quality entertainment for you guys

Solid Potato Salad - The Ross Sisters (1944) - YouTube
Hmmm... This has got me thinking. Here's another one:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...94#post1954494
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #53
Gruper Reeper

Hey, I'm just honored to be in comparison with a company that has been around for over 2 decades. I'm a red-ryder guy myself.... they make a great product. We have been working relentlessly to completely change the shop, and calibrate new equipment to free up some time to R and D on the new products. We have some game changers that ... with nothing short of a miracle will hit the market late summer.
I will always tell customers that if they have a product complaint.. to come to me ...email, cell, etc. I purchased quite a few spearguns before I entered the building scene years ago and dealt with both sides of the customer service spectrum. The guns today are becoming more and more precise by the day, and they are not cheap. Which is why I want to do the best by my customers with the resources at hand.

In P-Dubs case, it was 100% my fault, we have over 100 jigs and set ups in our shop.... long story short I had one of the main shaping jigs set at the wrong calibration .. guns did not perform as expected and it sucked for guys that had to wait 4 weeks on top of the build time for the post office to give them there package. They received there funds back, actions were taken to make sure it will never happen again. If I was in their shoes I'd be pretty upset as well. It doesn't happen often but In the end accidents happen and all we can do as a company is learn from it, take any steps to correct it, and make sure it never happens again.

Koah is hell driven to be the go-to name in high end spear gear. We haven't peaked yet, not by a long shot. We have a mess of new drawings/designs on the table and looking forward to finding the time to start working on them
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #54
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

There are only 2 spearguns/manufactures that deserve an ounce of bashing, Spearotiki and 4 Seas. Rest of them are only our own opinions and we know what those are like carry on....
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #55
P-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruper Reeper View Post
Hey, I'm just honored to be in comparison with a company that has been around for over 2 decades. I'm a red-ryder guy myself.... they make a great product. We have been working relentlessly to completely change the shop, and calibrate new equipment to free up some time to R and D on the new products. We have some game changers that ... with nothing short of a miracle will hit the market late summer.
I will always tell customers that if they have a product complaint.. to come to me ...email, cell, etc. I purchased quite a few spearguns before I entered the building scene years ago and dealt with both sides of the customer service spectrum. The guns today are becoming more and more precise by the day, and they are not cheap. Which is why I want to do the best by my customers with the resources at hand.

In P-Dubs case, it was 100% my fault, we have over 100 jigs and set ups in our shop.... long story short I had one of the main shaping jigs set at the wrong calibration .. guns did not perform as expected and it sucked for guys that had to wait 4 weeks on top of the build time for the post office to give them there package. They received there funds back, actions were taken to make sure it will never happen again. If I was in their shoes I'd be pretty upset as well. It doesn't happen often but In the end accidents happen and all we can do as a company is learn from it, take any steps to correct it, and make sure it never happens again.

Koah is hell driven to be the go-to name in high end spear gear. We haven't peaked yet, not by a long shot. We have a mess of new drawings/designs on the table and looking forward to finding the time to start working on them
Outstanding John! That's stepping in and stepping up. I appreciate that you can understand and own it. It takes a greater person to do that and I am pleased to hear of the changes made and the progress of your development. I’ll acquiesce, my word choice of “junk” might have been a bit harsh. My sincerest apologies. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and continued success. Humbly - Paul

Last edited by P-Dub; 05-21-2014 at 12:07 AM.
P-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #56
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
There are only 2 spearguns/manufactures that deserve an ounce of bashing, Spearotiki and 4 Seas. Rest of them are only our own opinions and we know what those are like carry on....
Hahahahahaha I believe you are almost right! I think there's a third... (not koah or riffe so chill fools )
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #57
triponempa
internet troll

I noticed one thing on this thread- all the people chiming in, just say they love whatever they already HAVE. Few have tried many others, yet they adamantly argue that theirs is the best.
If you have not owned or atleast shot ,(alot) BOTH of these guns- then you really don't KNOW which one is better do you?
We could have an arguement- about which is better- sea sniper or ab biller.
More people own the billers and have never even shot a sea sniper- but I bet everyone argues that the biller is better- because that is what they know.
People like spearq8 who actually HAVE these different guns would be someone to actually listen to. But he doesn't have a koah, (you could send him one jon) and then we could find out some technical specs and performance based criticism instead of this stupid chevy vs ford argument ,(everyone knows audi is the best anyway)
One thing though- you would have to be blind to say a koah isn't blocky.
The whole back of the gun is completely square with maybe a 1/4" roundover.
Nice features on those guns, but very blocky.
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #58
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^^Thank you for chiming in, Especially from someone that's recently made his own thread regarding an ab biller a riffe and a koah...i know yours didtn get the type of attention this one got, but then again, yours wasnt created by a spearboard troll. i will say that your thread must have gone down as sort of record for the shortest "What kinda gun do I want" thread in SB history.

Also, can you please post a photo of your koah, Im interested to see the model you eventually chose.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #59
Gruper Reeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by triponempa View Post
I noticed one thing on this thread- all the people chiming in, just say they love whatever they already HAVE. Few have tried many others, yet they adamantly argue that theirs is the best.
If you have not owned or atleast shot ,(alot) BOTH of these guns- then you really don't KNOW which one is better do you?
We could have an arguement- about which is better- sea sniper or ab biller.
More people own the billers and have never even shot a sea sniper- but I bet everyone argues that the biller is better- because that is what they know.
People like spearq8 who actually HAVE these different guns would be someone to actually listen to. But he doesn't have a koah, (you could send him one jon) and then we could find out some technical specs and performance based criticism instead of this stupid chevy vs ford argument ,(everyone knows audi is the best anyway)
One thing though- you would have to be blind to say a koah isn't blocky.
The whole back of the gun is completely square with maybe a 1/4" roundover.
Nice features on those guns, but very blocky.
On the fatback I agree.. we did move it to a 3/8 RO and we are redesigning it for the second half of 2014 to address this issue without sacrificing performance
Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #60
triponempa
internet troll

the koah's have really nice muzzle area's
we used to say " cute in the face but fat in the waist"
beautiful guns
not really much need for improvement on a design
that sells this well, is there?-( blocky or not)

kwtony should change his name to Koahtony.
Is jon paying him?
he should be.
triponempa is offline   Reply With Quote