Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr
Introduction, need spear buddies

Hi Pac NW spearos,

Leigh from Portland here. (A guy btw - I get junk mail for 'Ms. Leigh' all the time.)
I've learned tons from this forum for some weeks now, thanks to everyone for the great insights. I'm a total newbie to spearing, but am beginning. First with scuba, where I have skills+gear already, then consider adding freediving to the mix (when budget allows for a whole 'nother set of gear$$). I recently blew my dive budget to shreds with a Fusion dry suit, then a Riffe gun coming soon. Regards freediving, I just read in a recent thread about a 1-day pool class in Portland area in March, I just might take that class to get some knowledge.

When I'm not diving, I'm climbing, hiking, mt-biking or doing photography. My photo site is at www.leighandersonphotography.com

Experience: About 200 scuba dives, ~half in Pac NW and half in tropics, over last 15 yrs or so. I always carry a pony tank. A few dozen shallow free dives while snorkeling in tropics. Spearing experience = 0. Don't have a RIB or kayak, though a kayak is intriguing for getting to OR reefs on calm days.

Buddies? I'm hoping initially, to find some scuba spear buddies. Oregon coast jetties from shore primarily, maybe an offshore charter, or one can hope someone has a spot on a RIB. (WA seems so restrictive except Neah Bay.)

I'd really like to go with some folks to Neah Bay the April 26 wknd, good tides and Lings are open.

When I get my Riffe in a few days, I'm thinking to try some PDX area freshwater invasive species for practice if fishy water can be found that isn't pea soup! Has anyone tried near Clackamette park on the lower Clack for carp/ pikeminnows/ suckers? (Clack may need some time to settle down vis wise after recent rain/snow storms.) Other ideas for freshwater invasives practice that doesn't suck too bad for vis or access? Sauvie has lots of places part of year, but I think carp may migrate out of the lakes in winter? and probably way muddy in Sauvie lakes anyway?

Thoughts and advice are welcome. I've already gained so much from studying these spearo forums. Thanks again!

to reach out for buddy/trip-sharing opps, please PM or even better use mr dot leigh dot anderson at-sign gmail usualdomain
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Re: Introduction, need spear buddies

Welcome Leigh!
Great photo site, really enjoyed your landscapes. I'll be selling my own prints (www.joshhumbert.com) at next weekends Saturday Market down town. Come by and we can shoot the ship in regards to spearing and other kinds of shooting. Hope to see you there!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
quattroluvr
Leigh

Wow, Josh, your surf photos are just stunning, world-class photography. If other spearboard members haven't browsed your www.joshhumbert.com/ site yet. Do!
Yeah, for sure I'll drop by Sat Mkt and talk spearo and photography.
...and beautiful pearls by your company too, quite the entrepreneurial story.
Leigh
Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
MikePierce170

Sauvie is a mud pit. Don't even think about diving it. But you can bowfish the sh*t out of it haha. The lower clack has carp but vis has always been an issue when I've gone. However that won't stop me from trying again. There are also tons of suckers that are fair game as well in the lower clack. But I would rather decimate invasives like the carp. Let me know when you're down to try the clack. I'm sure Josh would join in the fun.
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePierce170 View Post
I'm sure Josh would join in the fun.
Oh yes I will.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Transporter
Ian Elstrom

Josh, X2 on the epic surf photos. Looks like you've put yourself in harms way many times to get some epic shots. Any of those pics from Apataki? I left a bunch of my skin and flesh scattered across that reef last time I was there.

Leigh, looking forward to meeting you in my upcoming class. I live on the coast so you're welcome to come dive with me anytime (at least as soon as the swell dies down and water starts to warm up).
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
quattroluvr
Leigh

Hi Ian,
Looking forward to the freediving class. (am a fellow Scandiniavian, half Swedish :-)
What the heck is that big fish in your profile photo? Oregon coast? or some distant location.
Leigh
Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Jeff_D
Jeff D

Talking Re: Introduction, need spear buddies

Hi Leigh,

I do some freediving and scuba. My days off are Sunday and Monday, but I'm willing to take a day off if the conditions are right. BTW I would be up for Ian's freediving class. I missed the last one that was organized due to a new baby, (which resulted in a lack of free time). Oh, did you know Swedes invented the toilet seat...but the Norwegians put the hole in it.
Jeff_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
quattroluvr
Leigh

Hi Jeff,
I'm consulting off and on for day job, so Mondays are often fine for me too :-) great.
I'll shoot you my contact info via PM.
Can't wait for my Riffe to get here.
Leigh
P.S. Did you know that Norwegians have a very clever way to mark a hot fishing spot? Simple... paint an X on the floorboards of your boat!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
quattroluvr
Leigh

[OP]... and regards my flexibility for dive days, since I do consulting gigs off and on, there are a fair number of opportunities for me to dive during the week, as some folks (like Josh) work on wknds.

Leigh
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Ian thanks for the props on the pics. To get a good surf shot there's no way to get around being in harm's way. So far I've only been sucked over the falls once and had one elbow broken (both at Teahupo'o) so hopefully my score will stick at that. All my shots are from Teahupo'o. That's my house in there in my avatar. Pic is from last year. I don't like to shoot anywhere else because I don't want to be that guy that people think of when considering how crowded a wave has gotten. Teahupo'o has its own built in crowd control. Some really good spots we try to not even name publicly, if you know what I mean.
Leigh, stoked to hear that you can get free during the week. You and Jeff are killing me with your Swede/Norwegian digs.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
cchen
Cliff

Welcome to the board! Really liked your night pictures. They looked awesome!

Can someone link the info on the freediving class comin up please?
cchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
quattroluvr
Leigh

Hi Cliff, thanks for the props on the photos.
For the freedive class, simply contact Transport (Ian) above. He's the instructor. Maybe see you there?
Leigh
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #14
Transporter
Ian Elstrom

Cliff, if you or anyone else is interested in my class here's the link
http://extranet.freedivinginstructor...dinstructor=65

If anyone knows of a good pool to teach out of please let me know. For some reason the pools up here seem to be way more of a PITA to schedule with or really expensive vs. Ca. In the summertime I'll try using a lake but for now not too pumped up about jumping into sub 40 degree water.

Leigh, that's a decent sized white seabass. That was my first 45 lber, I'm too lazy to change my avatar and post up a bigger one. It's unfortunate that they don't make it this far North because they are delicious. I shot it in Santa Barbara but they do make it as far North as Monterrey and as far South as Mag Bay Baja.

John, I don't know what spot you're talking about, sorry about the faux pas. You must have an epic view out the front of your house when the surf is on and apparently good spearfishing when it's off.

My Grandpa used to tell me a lot of Norwegian jokes but sadly enough I am terrible at retelling jokes and can't remember any good ones to post up on here.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
quattroluvr
Leigh

I'm pumped for the freediving intro class on Sunday the 9th. Went to Saturday market and talked to Josh about photography and freediving... getting _really intrigued with freediving.
Leigh