Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #31
Rifreediver
Skitz

Re: Completely new of Sling

They do make them I believe they just sold out and are making a new batch. I love my sling. Get one they're worth it
Old 08-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #32
growingupninja
Lance

Pricey for a sling but the shaft with a slide ring is total game changer. I am not a sling expert but after using a janky old school wooden loaner every day for a week I got good enough to land maybe every third shot. The whole time I was trying to figure out how to attach a shooting line which would make it more practical for depth...

After the trip I walked into a FL dive store and saw one of these...!

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #33
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

Hi everyone my name is Rodney and I am the new production manager at headhunter, I am the guy that physically makes the products that you guys are using. I am new to spearfishing being from NJ but I have been growing small business like Headhunter into well oiled machines by refining processes and ensuring quality. I know Brad doesn't get on here often so I am here to address any concerns you guys have. I read through some of the posts so I guess I will start with this. Call us anytime @954-745-0747 we love to hear from everyone and were always happy to assist you with any issues your having. You can also email me at rodney@headhunterspearfishing.com and I will get back to you with an answer ASAP.
Currently we are working on several projects that will take spearfishing to the next level.
For those of you that have a concern that the cost of our products is a little to high just know that we back all of our products 100%. Each and every product we have has been through several designs that have been torture tested to the extreme's by guys like Brad Thornburgh, Camron Kirkconnell and Ryan Myers along with a few of Brads friends and we fix every issue that arises and if it doesn't pass muster then it gets scrapped. So you can feel comfortable investing in our products for sure. After all you get what you pay for.
HH PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #34
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifreediver View Post
They do make them I believe they just sold out and are making a new batch. I love my sling. Get one they're worth it
We are currently out of stock on the Guerrilla sling. I do know a couple of our dealers like Nautilus in Maimi has at least 2, Brad and I were there for their store opening yesterday and Andrew is a great guy and very easy to deal with.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #35
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

Depending on your height and arm length about 8 feet of line held lightly by hand holding the sling works well, be careful that the line doesn't get hooked on the reel before you shoot. Any other questions please give us a call at 954-745-0474 of email me at Rodney@headhunterspearfishing.com
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #36
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

We designed our shafts to take a beating for sure and the slide ring is a game changer. Both are made with very high quality stainless steel and the are all fitted and tested prior to being sent out to our customers.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #37
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

Please feel free to give us a call 954-745-7047 we can help you get what is going to work best for you.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #38
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

our guerrilla sling comes with the medium band, the bang plugs, and the speed cup. All the required tools you need and I install each handle myself. The shaft come in 2 sizes 60" and 66" both are fit perfectly to our sling. If you have any questions please let us know 954-745-0747
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #39
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

we use a simple figure 8 knot through the slide ring and we burn the end flat in case of any slippage. Any questions give us a call and we will help you out 954-745-0747
Old 08-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #40
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

the slide ring is held on the shaft by an end cap that we secure with Loctite. The line gets tied through the slide ring with the knot on the forward end towards the tip. We suggest that you pull some line out before you shoot, like 5 to 10 feet depending on the length of your shot. Also do not forget to loosen the drag on the reel and make sure the line is not caught under the reel. Any questions please give us a call 954-745-0747
Old 08-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #41
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

Our Guerrilla sling comes with the sling body and handle, 1 medium band, 2 band plugs, 1 speed cup, 1 3/32 allen key a guerrilla tool for removing the band plugs from the band a 4 replacement square nuts.
We sell a 60" and a 66" shaft with or without sling ring and end cap.
A small reel with 75 feet of 600 pound line
A large reel with 125 feet of 600 pound line
A go pro mount
and 4 power bands, light, medium (comes with the sling) heavy and extra heavy
If you have any questions please call us 954-745-0747
Old 11-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #42
SpearoSevv

Great looking sling, love the videos! I literally thought this when I saw it for the first time: "Looks like a sling made of high quality material, its got a nice grip, its kinda unique-IS THAT A F****** REEL!? On a sling!?"

The video's I've seen show phenomenal range, penetration, and really make me like the idea of using this over a gun due to its size and simplicity.

However, I ended up dabbling around on the Headhunter site to see what it would cost me if I wanted to pick one up/had the kind of cash to throw around on a new weapon. When I end up buying my next gun/polespear/sling or whatever, I wont want to mess around. I want to get the -full- package, with backup parts.

Do NOT think this is a standard price, it is merely what I came up with after choosing what backup items would be most important to me, and which ones I wouldn't want to reorder in the future. I'm very finicky about having what I need on me at all times.

Which honestly wasn't too many accessories/backups:
-Guerrilla: $200
-2 shafts: $153, for 1 60" and 1 66", both w/ slider
-Large Reel: $125 (I may spear shallower water, but I'd rather have a large reel with less line than find out that I need a bigger reel down the road)
-2 Bands: $20
-Backup Plug Tool: $15
-Backup Plugs: $20
-Backup Speed Cup: $18
-Total of $551.
Like I said, when I buy my next weapon (after my winter suit and new fins), I want to go all out and not dick around. Something that will last a very long time. Unfortunately, this just is not ever going to make it into the budget (yet), although it has really caught my eye.

Overall, it is expensive. But it appears to be superb quality, and the Guerrilla would probably be a "lifer" kind of sling- you could make that thing last forever with proper care. If I had the money and wasn't lacking a few pieces of equipment, I'd highly consider getting one. But for now, I'll stick to what I have and save up.
SpearoSevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #43
Drago

I have been keeping an eye on this since they were first being sold. Wanted to see some reviews and whatnot and by the time I decided I wanted to purchase one, it seemed as though they were sold out in every place I looked. After checking up on the Headhunter website for a while I notice they finally put it back up for pre-order, but the design is a bit different now.

Anyone know why they changed from the body with rails for lots of adjustability to this wooden version that is set? Also it seems as though the bands are set in place vertically instead of horizontally (if that makes sense to anyone else but me, haha). Seems like it would change the position of the wrist when pulling back. Would this be for the better or worse?
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #44
LoGiiCz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I have been keeping an eye on this since they were first being sold. Wanted to see some reviews and whatnot and by the time I decided I wanted to purchase one, it seemed as though they were sold out in every place I looked. After checking up on the Headhunter website for a while I notice they finally put it back up for pre-order, but the design is a bit different now.

Anyone know why they changed from the body with rails for lots of adjustability to this wooden version that is set? Also it seems as though the bands are set in place vertically instead of horizontally (if that makes sense to anyone else but me, haha). Seems like it would change the position of the wrist when pulling back. Would this be for the better or worse?
I got to test out a prototype of the new guerrilla a few months ago. The newest version of the sling floats with a large reel. The last version would sink like a rock. This is a huge improvement because I was able to let go of the sling without having to worry about holding on to it while I fought a fish.

The grip feels a bit big to me out of the water (have small hands) but swimming around and shooting it felt even better than the last version.

Just like the last one, all of the force of the band pull is directed to your forearm instead of your wrist. This gives you to keep your hand steady and allows you to track fish with ease. It's an awesome set up. There's a bit of a learning curve compared to pole spears but once you get the hang of it you will be able to pull some really great shots with it.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #45
HH PRODUCTION
Official Sponsor

We decided to go with the new design for 2 basic reasons, 1 being that we could make it float even with a larger reel attached and 2 because we can control the entire production process. We now make the entire sling in house from scratch, no more supplier issues, no more waiting on parts. Another key with the teak sling is that you can keep it in top shape by doing a light sanding and applying some teak oil to it.