Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Haysew

Smile My 2 cents on the riffe silencer

Hey guys i just picked up the riffe silencer.I thought to put up a review on the board. to start it off im not much of a riffe fan due to there mainstream marketing techniques. but any ways I bought this knife from divers direct for $80. starting from handle to blade, the knife features a lanyard which is great for not dropping your knife the handle has a sweet grippy texture to it with a narrow base and gains girth towards the blade where you have a nice place to hold you fingers. The blade is 420 stainless with a Teflon coating, for being a stainless knife its SHARP being half serrated and half plain the plain side cuts through all most any thing and the serrated edge can saw through any thing. As for the sheath riffe has a extremely nice double locking feature witch keeps the knife in your position no matter what. all and all the knife cost a arm and a leg but it is a quality knife and i would recommend you pick one up.
Haysew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
ApneaAddict

Re: My 2 cents on the riffe silencer

If you have the opportunity, I would advise returning the Silencer. The sheath system on the Silencer is horribly flawed. Mine fell out of the sheath on my 3rd day of using it. By an unbelievable stroke of luck I was able to recover it the next day, but it continued to be a major headache for me. Eventually the cheap plastic clip cracked and I had to use the lanyard looped around the bottom of the sheath to keep it in. I didn't like that because I could not remove the knife from the sheath as readily as I would like, so I ditched the knife all together. If you want a Riffe knife, pick up the Riffe "Spearfishers" knife. Its more reasonably priced, its simple, and it will last you for years and years.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Haysew

ya i had my worries bout the clip
Haysew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
mc diver 36

hey apnea addict,
thanks for this post.I also purchased the 80 dollar Riffe silencer,and on the first dive,that cheap plastic lock broke and before I realized it,the knife was gone without dispatching one fish.Today I called riffe and told them the story and they basically told me I was S.O.L. on the knife,that I should have had the bungee latched around the bottom of the sheath.as you said,that made it hard to draw the knife.It looked like a nice blade,too bad they skimped on the lock mech.they did offer to replace the broken lock mech,but after reading your post ,I think Ill save myself some headaches and take my business elsewhere.

Riffe could take some lessons from ab biller.I had a mahog. 54 special and after a couple years and many fish,the barrel slightly warped.He told me to send it in,and within two weeks,there was a brand new padauk 54 at my house,no questions asked!I would have been satisfied with a new barrel!Does biller make knives?....
mc diver 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

Great knife... clip sucks!! I have one sittin at home that got wet twice before the clip STB...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Ctglax83
Cole

Great knife, terrible sheath. It works great til the plastic on the lock breaks and you lose your knife.
Ctglax83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
johnnyp

all made by MAC coltellerie in italy
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Southern Hunter

Go with the Spearfisher as others have said, the Silencer's sheath sucks!