Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Market Place > Member Items

Member Items This area is for members to list stuff they want to sell. This is not for retail sales.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
sinko562

new to spearfishing looking for items!

hey how are you guys doing like i said im new to spearfishing my cousin is the spearfisher in the family and after 2 years has conviced me to give it a try he has a gun for me to use but told me i need

wetsuit
mask
snorkel
fins
weight belt
knife

as far as wet suit goes im not sure what size i am im 5'6-5'7 i weight 240lbs (but im not fat i have a size 38 waist think of me as one of those gym rats who love weight lifting but cant stick to a diet)

and foot size i guess i average 9.5 (really depends what shoe brand i got on nike im 9.0 fila 9.5 adidas 9.5 converse chucks 10 vans 10 dc 9.5

ideal budget $150 but honestly i understand if it price reaches $200 ive seen wetsuit by selfs in "members items" section reaching $400 alone but like i said im really giving this sport a chance hopefully you can understand why im not really looking to spend $200-$1000 just to try something out but if you have some of these items for sell please let me know thank you!
sinko562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
armandoz
cUban MissLe!

Re: new to spearfishing looking for items!

Welcome, for now I would not worry about a wetsuit as it is summer a simple rash guard will do just fine. If you are starting I do suggest a simple yet comfortable mask and a decent snorkel.

I have a snorkel and a decent mask you can use if anything.

For sure you will need a knife perhaps a pair of gloves and a pair of fins decent enough to get you down also some weights.

Let me know if you are interested.

How about a gun do you have this already ?

PS- This can become and expensive activity, although worth it to most of us. I anticipate your $ cap will not cut it. gun + fins are $200+ you are still not accounting for everything else mentioned ...

Last edited by armandoz; 06-11-2011 at 07:23 PM.
armandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
fishhunter561
Chase

you dont really need a wetsuit or weight belt they just help, but if i were you i would check out mako's diving stuff
fishhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
sinko562

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandoz View Post
Welcome, for now I would not worry about a wetsuit as it is summer a simple rash guard will do just fine. If you are starting I do suggest a simple yet comfortable mask and a decent snorkel.

I have a snorkel and a decent mask you can use if anything.

For sure you will need a knife perhaps a pair of gloves and a pair of fins decent enough to get you down also some weights.

Let me know if you are interested.

How about a gun do you have this already ?

PS- This can become and expensive activity, although worth it to all of use your $ cap will not cut it. gun + fins are $200+ you still not accounting for everything else mentioned ...

yea im interested how much for the fins mask snorkel knife and yea i forgot to mention the gloves. yea know cap is hard to work with when cousin first started he said he got everything for $200 but that was after a month of searching this site, craiglist and ebay. he bought his first gun for $30 and it was busted but spent $15 to fix it.

as for gun my cousin said he's gonna let me borrow one of his just to help take some cost off

as for the wet suit i live in southern CA my cousin dives down 40-60ft or however deep he can go in the 2 minutes he can hold his breath doubt i can hold it that long so would i need 1 if im going say 20 feet and he says he goes fishing for about a good 6-8hrs

yea most sports/hobbies are very exspensive when i took up paintballing i ended up spending $800 when i got into rc race cars i spent $900 so i know starting out is always exspensive and i hate to use rentals so i always try and decent items and if i like it all buy the top of the line brands
Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
WILL I AM
William Lansang

Of course you wouldnt need a wetsuit.... in florida. However in california youre in high 50's low sixties. You definately need a wetsuit cuz. Theres plenty of used suits. Id give it a day before someone comes up with something. Ill look for you... and ill also let u borrow some other gear. But a wetsuit is a MUST.
WILL I AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
armandoz
cUban MissLe!

Ah dude you are in Cali, nvm you do need a wetsuit and perhaps a custom 1 that may fit your body dimensions. I am guessing 3.5mm +. I apologize I figured you were in Miami, FL.

It's hard to find gear at that price but I suppose not impossible.

It all depends man what you can tolerate as far as temps go. I think you will need a wetsuit if the comment above is correct high 50's is cold as shit, for me at least and I am a thin guy so I get cold easily and that's in 80's temp waters. So Yes you will need one regardless of depth be it 20ft or 10ft.

Your biggest expense might indeed be the wetsuit. Hope they find something for you. Good luck there is a guy from west palm beach that is selling a Mako mask for $25 bucks not a bad deal.
armandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
XavierDeRoos
More Diving, Less Drama

where in socal. I may have an extra mask for you.
XavierDeRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
sinko562

I live in long beach
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Gbaldihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunter561 View Post
you dont really need a wetsuit or weight belt they just help, but if i were you i would check out mako's diving stuff
Gonna have to disagree with you on both of those. In CA, a wetsuit is an absolute MUST, as is a weigh belt. Pretty hard to get down to decent depths w/out weight.

I'm selling a pair of Riffe fins here in SD, but they may be a bit more than you want to spend. I posted the ad in the CA section and here in the for sale section. Shoot me an e-mail if your interested. bradlybingham@gmail.com.
Good luck and welcome to the sport.
Gbaldihunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

A wetsuit is a must, I recommend getting the mako 5mm. It's a great suit for the price. Its more than $200, but worth it to be comfortable. Start saving a bit
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Edey

Hi-

I have a few of the items your interested in. See my ad under Edey.

Thank you ~

Edey 562.233.6714
Edey is offline   Reply With Quote