Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
chulho

Send a message via AIM to chulho
Spearfishing / Snorkeling / Scuba in Oahu in March

Hey guys,

My girl and I are going to Hawaii (Oahu) for the first time.

We'll spend most of the time rock climbing but will take a few days off to scuba/snorkel, and hopefully even spearfish.

Want to see if you guys can give me some advice on where to go, and answer some questions~ i'm just gonna throw it out:

1- i have a 7mm open cell hammerhead wetsuit. weather's going to be in the upper 70s to low 80s. should i bring it? or am i good without it? one reason to not bring it is skip the hassel of bringing or renting weight belt.

2- what dive spots are recommended? i usually spear around 30-50 feet, but would also like it if the spot is "pretty"- so the girlfriend can snorkel, look around. and how far do i need to swim out to get to a good spot? are there places to clean fish on the beach? near the beach? place to rinse?

3- what's a good fish to shoot ?

4- what's the rule on spearing where there are some snorklers? i dive in northern california...i just cant picture hawaii. so if at the beach, there are 20 people snorkeling, and i sorta join them. and i shoot the fish they're looking at. um... any thoughts?

5- how's night diving/snorkeling? anything worth shooting/catching at night?

6- are there urchins worth eating?

7- what's a good dive shop for my girl to rent her stuff from?

8- looking to scuba as well- anybody here get on scuba in hawaii? recommend a good charter? if on those charter boats for scuba, can you take fish or other eatings? any charters that specialize in taking game in hawaii on scuba?
chulho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
MauiFreeDiver
BLAIZE A FIYAH

Re: Spearfishing / Snorkeling / Scuba in Oahu in March

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulho View Post
Hey guys,

My girl and I are going to Hawaii (Oahu) for the first time.

We'll spend most of the time rock climbing but will take a few days off to scuba/snorkel, and hopefully even spearfish.

Want to see if you guys can give me some advice on where to go, and answer some questions~ i'm just gonna throw it out:

1- i have a 7mm open cell hammerhead wetsuit. weather's going to be in the upper 70s to low 80s. should i bring it? or am i good without it? one reason to not bring it is skip the hassel of bringing or renting weight belt.
I use a 1.5 mil, mostly so i dont get scraped up by the reef, 7mm would be over kill, just bring a rash guard.
2- what dive spots are recommended? i usually spear around 30-50 feet, but would also like it if the spot is "pretty"- so the girlfriend can snorkel, look around. and how far do i need to swim out to get to a good spot? are there places to clean fish on the beach? near the beach? place to rinse?
Talk to the Oahu locals on HSD

3- what's a good fish to shoot ?
Depends on your skill level, something small for the pan, would be menpachi, kole, aholehole, papio, goats, manini, nohu, alaihi (3 prong fish).
4- what's the rule on spearing where there are some snorklers? i dive in northern california...i just cant picture hawaii. so if at the beach, there are 20 people snorkeling, and i sorta join them. and i shoot the fish they're looking at. um... any thoughts?
I do it as much as possible.

5- how's night diving/snorkeling? anything worth shooting/catching at night?
No
6- are there urchins worth eating?
Yes the purple sunflower looking ones. Not the wana, hmm but maybe not from Oahu.
7- what's a good dive shop for my girl to rent her stuff from?
IDK

8- looking to scuba as well- anybody here get on scuba in hawaii? recommend a good charter? if on those charter boats for scuba, can you take fish or other eatings? any charters that specialize in taking game in hawaii on scuba?
Hopefully theres no charters that let you take fish on scuba.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
tw1012

Mauifreediver, you are a good host for your islands. You are usually the first to respond to divers.

Chulho

Scuba is looked down upon by most Hawaiians, stick with freediving.
tw1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
MauiFreeDiver
BLAIZE A FIYAH

Thanks, I do what I can. Diving in Hawaii is much different than other placesin the US (so im told). So if it helps it helps.

Oh yeah luck is always good, but if you have none than come with a good bottom time, and stay hidden well, our fish dont phuk around over here. They can see you suiting up on the beach

Check the regs for sizes and seasons, please use the minimun size as a guide of what is too small to shoot, not what is legal to shoot
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_fish_mfv.html
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Akula

Send a message via AIM to Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiFreeDiver View Post
They can see you suiting up on the beach
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_fish_mfv.html

So true, so true......if only people who havent hunted hawaiian had ANY clue ...
-----------------

Myspace.com/Macdaddyblake
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
chulho

Send a message via AIM to chulho

Thanks for all the info and suggestions-

What's HSD?

I also couldn't find any info on IDK-

Oh, one more thing- do you recommend camping on the beach?

Thanks- and i'll be sure to look over the regs.
chulho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
Akula

Send a message via AIM to Akula

HSD = Hawaii Skin Diver

punch in HawaiiSkinDiver.com/community

GREAT site, not just for freedive info or hawaii only info, some of the guys on this site are imo the best in the sport, and they are modest and cool as hell to boot!

As far as camping the beach, im not sure if its legal, but even if it is i dont think i would do it.
-----------------

Myspace.com/Macdaddyblake
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #8
Blesum
Water Man

I used to scuba as a teenager.

I haven't scuba dived in over a decade.

Free-diving while hunting is the way to go in Hawaii.

When things are slow, I like to play a game I call "Bubble Burst" with the tourist scuba divers.

I'll sneak into a wreck when they're not looking. The goal is to get the bubblers to blow out as much bubble as possible in surprise. Sometimes this means popping out just as they come to a window or a doorway. Sometimes I'll just stay there peering up at them in the darkness and that gets a good bubble burst. The bigger the bubble burst, the higher I score myself.

For an automatic 2X in scoring, learn the wreck well enough to be able to pop into an opening, pull your way to a different opening where the bubblers are and pop up. I'm still working on mastering that one.

Scoring occurs on the first bubble burst, and you can keep scoring if they are obviously hyperventilating. Scoring ends when they resume control of their breathing.

The shallowest wreck I know of on Oahu is in 60'. I've never seen any bubblers there sadly. Only at the 92' and 100' wrecks.

Oddly enough, the best burst I ever got was when I tapped the shoulder of a cute redhead in 40' of water. Apparently she was a University of Hawaii biologist doing a reef survey. We chatted for a spell, but then I needed to go back up for air and I remembered I was married so I kept moving down current.

-Paul
Blesum is offline   Reply With Quote