Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Wetsuit cuff damage at ankle

I bought this OMER open cell wetsuit several years ago and never used it, but just dove a spring and used it for the first time today.

I noticed that the ankle cuff on both sides was coming apart after I took the suit off

I think the ankles are a bit small for me, so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I think I put more stress on the ankles when removing the suit. I was lubed up good when putting it on and had no trouble.

Check out the attached photo and let me know what you think I should do:

1.) Try to glue it back
2.) Leave it alone
3.) Rip/cut the cuff off (just the smooth part below the Jersey material) and glue the edge

I think #1 will never hold, because there's too much stress on the rubber at the ankle.

#2 would result in the cuff falling off and having the seam between the 2 sheets of rubber visible.

#3 seems best. The sewn seam starts close to the beginning of the Jersey material.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Wetsuit cuff damage at ankle

if you only cut on the "skin cuff" you will probably be OK. But if you cut thru the seam stitching on the arm the odds are that seam will start to unravel, and once it starts it will continue up the arm. If you must cut thru the seam stitching put a SMALL DAB or glue on the area, and rub it into the stitching and let it dry , then cut next to that glue. You can use wet suit cement, aqua seal ( I HATE EVER RECOMMENDING
AQUA SEAL, more often than not it does more harm than good) even clear nail polish works in a pinch...BE SURE the suit is DRY FIRST!
No...this isn't the way I would fix it, but you don't have access to the machines and materials I use.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Thanks Seatux - the seam stitching seems fine and it's far enough away from the cuff that I could cut off the cuff without danger of getting into the stitching.

If I can cut it without touching the stitching, do you think I should put any glue at all? Just leave the edge of the two neoprene layers raw at the bottom?

Maybe I should dab glue at the bottom of the stitched seam anyways to provide further reinforcement at that point where the stretch will stress?

Also, I doubt it matters, but this is the leg/ankle area. Both legs did this, the other to a lesser degree.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
SEATUX

A dab of glue is extra insurance, just keep it small and rub it in so as to bond the thread to the fabric of the suit.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote