Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Full face snorkels

This is the brand that the Chinese copies are now ripping off.
https://snorkeling.oceanreefgroup.co...ing-mask-line/

Operating Manual/Catalog for "Ocean Reef" Full Face Mask
https://snorkeling.oceanreefgroup.co...rt-2018-LR.pdf

The "Easybreath" mask may be the first of the modern versions using polycarbonate lenses as the viewing lens here is curved like a fish bowl, later masks build flat planes into the lens to bring a less distorted image to the diver.

https://www.spotmydive.com/en/news/2...lows-its-price
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Reef Aria.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	241319   Click image for larger version

Name:	masque-respirer-sous-l'eau-vision-easybreath-pmt-3.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	241336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utilize masque-respirer-sous-l'eau-vision-easybreath-pmt-1.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	241337  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-18-2019 at 07:38 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #17
Mana'squal

I feel like someone should point out that these masks are deadly. The lack of air flow has people reporting light headed etc. I just wouldn't touch or promote these things.
Putting these out here this casually will get some idiot to use one and blackout.

Just my 2 cents.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
I feel like someone should point out that these masks are deadly. The lack of air flow has people reporting light headed etc. I just wouldn't touch or promote these things.
Putting these out here this casually will get some idiot to use one and blackout.

Just my 2 cents.
Maybe, and I understand the physics and the physiology, but the regulators would have been onto these like a shot if they were that bad. Some years ago there was the rather attractive plastic and complicated looking "Diveman" self-contained breathing apparatus, it was powered by your legs pumping up and down, but once the government regulators took a look at it they fell on the importer like a ton of bricks. Banning followed and the importer was in big trouble as any fatalities and the prison cells beckoned.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community...eather.364071/

In fact just found one for sale https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...water-18553774
In some jurisdictions the seller would be committing an illegal act and face a heavy fine, or jail term or both! That is the way to get rid of dangerous gear, however these masks (the better ones, not the rip-offs) have been around now for 3 years. I don’t recommend them, but it is a free country and within the law people can buy what they like.

P.S. A diving professional evaluated the "Diveman" in a swimming pool under supervised conditions with the whole thing being videoed. His conclusion on surfacing was that he could maintain airflow, but if he had to work harder underwater then the effort of using the "Diveman" went up to boost the now increased oxygen requirement. This in turn put him under increased stress which would escalate into a highly dangerous and easily fatal situation. This guy was a fit and strong individual and a highly experienced underwater worker and he roundly condemned the unit then and there. The axe came down almost instantly the program aired and fearing public safety was at risk the authorities went searching for the perpetrators.

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-17-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #19
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Maybe, and I understand the physics and the physiology, but the regulators would have been onto these like a shot if they were that bad. Some years ago there was the rather attractive plastic and complicated looking "Diveman" self-contained breathing apparatus, it was powered by your legs pumping up and down, but once the government regulators took a look at it they fell on the importer like a ton of bricks. Banning followed and the importer was in big trouble as any fatalities and the prison cells beckoned.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community...eather.364071/

In fact just found one for sale https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...water-18553774
In some jurisdictions the seller would be committing an illegal act and face a heavy fine, or jail term or both! That is the way to get rid of dangerous gear, however these masks (the better ones, not the rip-offs) have been around now for 3 years. I don’t recommend them, but it is a free country and within the law people can buy what they like.

Someone posted here or elsewhere about having to put the pedal down against some current and when they got to the beach their lips were blue and they passed out or came close to it. I don’t doubt the regulators would come down hard, but how many people are putting in hard work in their goofy full face mask?
If they’re all coming from China who knows how bad some are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
popgun pete

Looks like more loopy ideas are on the way, while looking for the "Diveman" reference I stumbled on this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Underwater-...Arco:rk:7:pf:0

A bit of searching shows that where a buck can be made there are plenty of people willing to talk up this "new" aquatic gear.

https://www.spotmydive.com/en/news/r...-one-to-choose

The key aspect of dive gear such as masks and snorkels is that they can be removed in a flash if things are not working, same idea as bailing out of any equipment such as scuba. These "new" gadgets tend to lock you in when split seconds may count and when there is no support crew as you have with more complex professional dive equipment. The appeal of these devices is they vaguely ape more professional gear, the operative term here being "ape". Mimic may have been a more polite term, but some of this gear can be summed up as "monkey see, monkey do"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dual snorkel.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	241330  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-18-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #21
popgun pete

In the interests of science I purchased one of the low cost versions as anything that they charge 150 bucks for will not have any corners cut, however for under 30 bucks US who knows? One aspect I went for is a push button disconnect on the rear head straps as getting these things off in a hurry is vital. I am going to wear it mowing my rear lawn and see how the air flow handling of the snorkel mask accommodates more strenuous activity. I don’t intend risking my neck diving with it, plus being an object of derision down at the beach!

The "Ahooga" horn moment is when you see ear plugs dangling on plastic filament connectors on either side of the masks!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ENKEEO-F...53.m2749.l2649

Nice equipment on the model by the way of general observation!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snorkel mask full face.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	241488   Click image for larger version

Name:	enkeeo mask green.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	241489  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-30-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
Mana'squal

Hahaha don’t cut your foot off man make sure you put in the hustle and get the legs burning.

Can’t wait to hear how it is.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #23
popgun pete

Well as luck would have it the Enkeeo full face mask arrived today. First impressions were it looked well-made and styling and parts fit were excellent, but as soon as I took the wrapping off I felt the plastic which was hard and shiny like styrene plastic, especially the clear parts. Now polycarbonate plastic tends to have a slight grey cast to it, but this stuff is crystal clear and its durability may not be so great especially in the school of hard knocks. It is obvious that a diving pro never had a real good look at one of these masks as in seconds I could see where its problems lay. You can stick your index and middle finger with some slight room to spare in the rectangular cross section snorkel barrel on top of the mask, but where it pipes down into the mask you could barely push your little finger in there and holding clips at the entrance inside the mask make that impossible anyway. Note quite round, but rounded, that air flow pipe runs down the centerline of the mask between your eyes for about 4 inches and that is a big restriction with a relatively small bore for a snorkel. So without even putting it on my head I can tell you that strong exhalation will have air rebounding and swirl back in the oro-nasal section of the mask and will build-up carbon dioxide because where it counts the snorkel bore is way too small. I use a big bore snorkel and using this Enkeeo mask would be tantamount to breathing through a half bore or less snorkel, plus the extra drag on air flow as it whips around the bends and turns. So low power, low effort, slow breathing only as the snorkel bores aren’t big enough. Half diameter means a quarter of the cross-section and for airflow through a snorkel it is the cross sectional area that counts for a breathing tube.

Now you know why in the old days full face masks had two big snorkels on either side of the mask looking like antlers, you just cannot do it with these nicely made, but basically restricted, single bore snorkels. Once air flow goes turbulent you will be hard pressed to push exhaled air out and replenish with clean air on each breath, while at a slow rate and a laminar flow you might just keep the carbon dioxide build up low enough for pottering around. And to think of all the personality diver bloggers who give these things the thumbs up they should be ashamed of themselves.

The masks do work, but not well enough because they need a constant diameter and bigger bore snorkel where it counts, near your nose and mouth. As for the snorkel non-return dry valve on the top, well it may be adequate, but the bore diameter is the Achilles Heel of these very techno-styled full face masks and they are not fit for use in anything but millpond conditions.

I guess kids play and swim around in such calm conditions under adult supervision and like kids everywhere they like the coolest and latest stuff that they see the other kids are using, like yo-yos and spinning tops from yesteryear these things are a fad and a quality mask and snorkel should replace these gadgets once the novelty wears off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Enkeeo mask silver.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	241490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enkeeo mask air flow A.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	241491  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:25 AM   #24
popgun pete

Here is the owner's manual for the Enkeeo full face mask and to be fair they do give you warnings, but you only see them here in detail after you purchased the mask.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Enkeeo mask warnings.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	241492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enkeeo mask overview.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	241493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enkeeo mask doc 1R.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	241498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enkeeo mask doc 2R.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	241499  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-31-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
popgun pete

Another mask design seemingly out of the movies!
https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/06/...ull-ever-need/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yanko design mask.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	241542  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #26
Mana'squal

Looks like someone put a face shaped seal on the back of a blender

Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #27
popgun pete

From the website. https://www.yankodesign.com/2018/06/...ull-ever-need/

THE LAST DIVING MASK YOU’LL EVER NEED
my comment: or maybe the last that you will ever use!

These sure aren’t your great grandaddy’s swimming goggles! This ultramodern twist on underwater specs, called D-Mask, addresses many of the issues divers currently encounter. Secured around the forehead, jaw, and chin, the design may cover the full face, but the result feels less restrictive than traditional goggles.

While it’s usable on its own, by simply connecting the unit to an air tank, users can breathe easy and more naturally without the need of a sealed mouthpiece. It’s also equipped with an innovative bone-conduction radio system that makes it possible to enjoy tunes or communicate with other divers conversationally – something that was impossible and limited to basic sign language before. Other cool features include built-in LED headlamps, and a head-up projected display that indicates water conditions, depth, pressure and weather all on the front shield.

There is a snorkel version, photo of snorkel is attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snorkel version.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	241545   Click image for larger version

Name:	D Mask with built-in led lights.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	241546  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-05-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added mask photo
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
popgun pete

The D-mask certainly looks futuristic, but the view from such a fishbowl perspective is going to be distorted. As a gas supplied mask it might breathe OK, but if it did then full face masks with oro-nasal insert masks have been wasting their time, yet somehow I do not think so! When Commander Le Prieur was developing his "scaphandre" apparatus, the first scuba, the full face dive mask was free flow with air exiting via the mask flanges at the sides. Under these conditions there was absolutely no chance of carbon dioxide build-up, but of course such systems were wasteful of gas in a limited supply carried by the diver, especially at depth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D-mask full view.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	241559  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #29
StukNotAnchored

Interesting that you don't want to be laughed at at the beach, but are willing to where a full face snorkel and mow the lawn where the neighbors can see you.

If I see the neighbor cutting their lawn with a snorkel mask, I am convinced someone is chained up in the basement. Or maybe they lost their tin foil hat.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:19 AM   #30
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by StukNotAnchored View Post
Interesting that you don't want to be laughed at at the beach, but are willing to where a full face snorkel and mow the lawn where the neighbors can see you.

If I see the neighbor cutting their lawn with a snorkel mask, I am convinced someone is chained up in the basement. Or maybe they lost their tin foil hat.
Actually none of the neighbours can see into my rear yard, hence the choice! Window sill height minimums and local overlooking rules have seen to that. However once I saw the snorkel bore restriction, something you don't really see until you are actually holding one, I dismissed any idea of trying it out. The choice of scratch-prone plastics means that a careless owner will soon start degrading their mask, but the response here is why not simply buy another one? Recently I renewed one of my pro-dive masks and it cost me a 100 bucks on special, so you can see why, for the moment, people are queuing up (misguidedly) for their $29.99 full face masks with a snorkel included for nothing.