Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Bob Ballew

This may be the Year to Avoid Diving Green Water

...The great white shark reports keep coming in....From Cottons, where there are two large great whites just off the beach; whites constantly probing the surfer line up at San Clemente; a large sea lion on the Dana Point buoy with a 2' wide bite mark across it's back and two more hauled out on Dana docks with bite marks; beached sea lions with bite marks all the way up to Malibu and more gw sightings at Catalina than I ever remember....
...With 70+ degree water, lots of sea lions and seals everywhere and bait fish by the millions, the combination makes a dangerous cocktail for diving in limited vis..There are more makos showing both near and offshore and I expect an influx of hammerheads to join the party...This is also the time of year that gw moms have their pups, which head in toward the warm beachside water to feed on stingrays and small fish..A single gw can give birth to as many as 15 pups.
...The evidence is present that perhaps, diving in green limited vis is no longer feasible, if you value your arms and legs. The same problem exists on the east coast where a diver and a swimmer were attacked within the last two days.
... Me: I plan to do most of my diving in the blue water strips and may do more hook and line fishing out in tuna land. Heck, even Luau Larry's is starting to look like a good spot to do dives...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-06-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote