Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
rnln

Quesdtion on wrist watch

Hi guys,

I am not a watch person. I stopped wearing wrist watch many years ago, since the time beeper then cell phone came out. Recently, after getting into this diving game, I realized that I need a watch to know when I should get up and go home. That's all I need on a watch, don't need anything fancy.

I know that a $10 digital watch can give me time pretty accurate, but don't know about those that can be submerged in salt water. After some reading on this board, I know most people here are using watches/computers which can cost up to thousand of dollars, but all I need is to see the time and it can last in salt water. Is there anyone experienced those watches like these who can give some comments/hints? BTW, if there is any important feature\s that I don't know yet, please advice.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-Men...da&athena=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DZT1968-F...atch/688557797

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterproo...band/376342906

Last edited by rnln; 05-01-2018 at 06:43 PM.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
DiverDave43

Re: Quesdtion on wrist watch

If you’re wanting only to tell the time and not dive profiles then I suggest getting a gshock. They are pretty much bomb proof and most are rated to 200m or 650+ feet. I’ve had mine for over 10 years now and had to replace the band this year. Mine is solar powered so no need for a battery plus it’s atomic so I never need to set the time if it were to run out of juice. I want to say it cost me about $150. All that said if this sport really is something you enjoy and plan on doing for years to come I’d highly suggest you save up and get a legit dive watch. Assuming you are free diving and not scuba (scuba watches with intergrated air get stupid expensive) you can pick one up for between $300-600 new and sometimes cheaper used when the appear here or on CL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62E8C819-C4D6-4D71-BAFE-DB2A8219F514.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	237920   Click image for larger version

Name:	D94FBAA5-52CC-4F0A-A105-76F136743AE7.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	237921  

Last edited by DiverDave43; 05-01-2018 at 09:01 PM.
DiverDave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Lukebiker

I use the Nixon Dive Unit.

Although you only need time, I would get a dive watch that automatically starts timing once you start your dive. Saves the trouble of forgetting/pushing a button.

The watch also has depth, which is nice to look at. I've used it on deep dives to a known depth and it was accurate to within a foot.

They're online now for $86, probably not much more than you'd spend on a regular waterproof watch anyway.

https://jet.com/product/detail/ef0a6...hoCMeUQAvD_BwE
Lukebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Dave, I second the G shock.

Had one that my mom bought me like 15 years ago that I kept in my boat crate “just in case”. Found it this year covered in salt and gunk at the bottom of the crate. It was dead until I threw it outside to charge for a couple days and sprayed it off. Good as new minus a little corrosion pitting. I was shocked.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Perchunter

Go to Walmart and get the cheapest watch with the biggest digital number/ face. Water proofed 30 to 50 meters. No need to spend more than 15 bucks on what you are looking for. My 9 dollar Walmart watch lasted 2 years until the strap gave up due to wear & tear from lobster hunting.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
davej

Yep, any cheap watch with big display will do. But having a dive computer like the f10. Having a computer improves your diving and makes you safer
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
rnln

Thanks everyone for your input. So, what I got is that any cheap water proof/resistant will do it, but if I step up to:

GShock, I will get bomb resistant, atomic, and solar. This will be convenience.
Nixon dive, I will get the depth measurement feature. This seem like a nice feature.

Thanks again.

Last edited by rnln; 05-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Xylophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. So, what I got is that any cheap water proof/resistant will do it, but if I step up to:

GShock, I will get bomb resistant, atomic, and solar. This will be convenience.
Nixon dive, I will get the depth measurement feature. This seem like a nice feature.

Thanks again.
More important than the depth measurement on a freedive computer is the surface interval timer. Initially I just got a $40 Invicta to try and manually time my surface intervals, but that didn't work out so great. After I got my Sporasub I started waiting 2 minutes between drops or 2x previous dive, your bottom times get way better and more consistent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sporasub-SP...IAAOSw0Pxa2UKZ

I bought from this outfit in Italy, got it for ~$100 less than it goes for here. Was hesitant at first, but after having one it's way worth it IMO.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Olibaba

Wow this is great! I didn't realize you could get a dive watch that told depths for so cheap, and also automatically starts when you dive.... I've had bad experiences with nixon's before... Does it hold up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukebiker View Post
I use the Nixon Dive Unit.

Although you only need time, I would get a dive watch that automatically starts timing once you start your dive. Saves the trouble of forgetting/pushing a button.

The watch also has depth, which is nice to look at. I've used it on deep dives to a known depth and it was accurate to within a foot.

They're online now for $86, probably not much more than you'd spend on a regular waterproof watch anyway.

https://jet.com/product/detail/ef0a6...hoCMeUQAvD_BwE
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Lukebiker

The Nixon lasted fine for a summer and most of the lobster season, I always rinsed and soaked in fresh water after dives, except for a few Catalina camping trips when it wasn’t rinsed for a few days.

I lost it on a day time dive for lobster when I shoved my hand into a hole and broke the strap. I don’t really blame the watch design for breaking.

Got a second one for $86 and it’s been doing great.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
Olibaba

Great thanks for the insight! My birthday is right around the corner and I've sent the link to my lady as a little hint-hint-nudge-nudge
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
rnln

I found one for even $58, but the model number is A962-000-00 instead of -01, and it is not specifying Atomic nor solar on the description. Do you know if there is any difference?
Thanks Lukebiker
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Lukebiker

Not sure what the difference is. I just thought there were different finish options. I think mine was always battery powered
Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
rnln

wait a min. I think I mixed up your Nixon and Dave's GShock. Sorry.
For reference, You are right, the different extension -00, -01, and -2238 must be the colors.

Last edited by rnln; 05-04-2018 at 03:48 PM.