Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Mahtzo
Shh

Re: Dirty Girl report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwano View Post

Like the $500 needed to purchase 100 ft of #4 battery cable for Anchor winch.
Bwano, I bought (almost) all of my wire and cable at genuinedealz online. check them out. for $500 you could get 100ft of 0awg cable. #4 would be slightly less than $200. (free shipping too) I sent you a pm w/link. They will also make custom cables for extremely minor labor charges.

Good luck and have fun with your project.
Louis Rosales

Last edited by Mahtzo; 01-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Mahtzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
jondavies

Wow - I wish I had the skills to even think about taking on a project like this. Best of luck with it.

That old Very pistol looks extremely cool. Does it fire standard flares or the older 1" ones?
jondavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Bwano

World War II 28 mm Flares. I don't actually have any of the flares anymore. It is a Breach loader, like an old Double Barrel shotgun. Not particularly valuable, but I made the cool Redwood Burl and Mahogany plaque to hold it. Gun is All Bronze and Stainless, except for the barrel.
I also made the plaque for the Bronze Shipstrike clock out of Birdseye Maple.
I am very proud of the fact that the clock had stopped working a few years ago, about the last time i had sex with a human. And I took it apart, to some degree, and got it working, instead of sending it to Chelsea Clock for a second time, to the tune of several hundred dollars to blow on the jeweled mainspring. The Clock requires unscrewing the bezel, and winding both the shipstrike, and clock mechanism, every week. Keeps you humble.
Both of these items were keepsakes from my Original Sushi Suzi, the 34 ft Tollycraft, that I built from a Bare Hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	166464   Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0043_IMG.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	166465   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	166466  
Bwano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
jondavies

Those are a nice couple of pieces. Good work on the clock restoration.

It looks as though the pistol is 37mm bore. Surprisingly, I came across a site online where you can buy rather expensive 37mm flares, adapters that will allow you to fire common 12 gauge flares, and even casings for making your own flares . However, it probably makes more sense to keep that one as a cool display item and use a modern $40 plastic flare gun to satisfy the CG requirement.

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__25/26..._products.html
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
donny
<"))))><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahtzo View Post
Bwano, I bought (almost) all of my wire and cable at genuinedealz online. check them out. for $500 you could get 100ft of 0awg cable. #4 would be slightly less than $200. (free shipping too) I sent you a pm w/link. They will also make custom cables for extremely minor labor charges.

Good luck and have fun with your project.
Louis Rosales
I redid all the wire on my skipjack24 when I bought it and got my wire from there too after soem serious shopping around, I think I might have given Lou that lead... anyway, it was a about 30% of what west marine sold wire for and well worth the trouble if you are ordering that kind of bulk. Don't forget to order the connectors too, the larger sizes really add up. You can go into westmarine with your own wire and terminal connections and swag/crimp them with thier tools for free.

I think I took 4AWG up to my bridge for my positive and neg bus. If you have that up there or larger you may be able to run off your bridge to the bow instead of from your battery bank if it is far back. The large wire to the bridge is recommended so you I don't get any voltage flutter in the electrontics. If you don't have 4 or larger wire up to your bridge you may want to consider doing it as part of wiring the windlass if you plan to install a radar, big head unit or larger depthfinder which generally gets power off the bridge. Just a thought, if you are putting down $ to run wire that way you might as well get the most for your $. DH
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
jondavies

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
it was a about 30% of what west marine sold wire for
Also, in my experience, WM is very good about price matching anything that's available online as long as it's the same item. Just take in a printout of the website. With a bulk item like wire you stand to save a bundle by not having to pay freight.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
donny
<"))))><

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondavies View Post
Also, in my experience, WM is very good about price matching anything that's available online as long as it's the same item. Just take in a printout of the website. With a bulk item like wire you stand to save a bundle by not having to pay freight.
worth a try but I have been refused at my local WM before for online merchants that don't have a brick and mortar outpost. May depend on which employee you ask. I shop at WM when I need something fast and/or they are within 10-20% of online dealers but for marine wire and other building materials in general their prices are so far past reasonable that try to avoid them out of cheapness and principle. That internet seller gives free shipping and no sales tax. I personally don’t mind giving the state tax but some here might prefer to avoid it.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Sherpa

she looks like she came from ladds marina? yes? I bet I'm damn damn close.

she should be quite the craft when done...............

--Sherpa