Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
diveincanada

Riffe Euro info

Hi,
I'm starting a new build and would like something similar to a Riffe Euro. I'm having a hard times finding specs.

Could someone please confirm the width and thickness of a euro, Open and Enclosed track ?

Tks !!
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
WESTBURY

Re: Riffe Euro info

Width is 1.6"
height is 1.12"
open track
I believe Riffe integrates a couple of stainless rods the length of the gun for rigidity

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBURY View Post
Width is 1.6"
height is 1.12"
open track
I believe Riffe integrates a couple of stainless rods the length of the gun for rigidity
Tks for the info !!
Internal stainless rods, really ?
I'm guessing the ET is thicker ?
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #4
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBURY View Post
Width is 1.6"
height is 1.12"
open track
OK now that is something I really didn't think was possible! The gun cross section is very small and it can barely ballast a 7mm shaft. Metal reinforcement in the form of rods would make the gun very heavy and not possible to ballast. I actually just took a Riffe Euro and put a metal stud detector on it and couldn't find any metal in the stock except for the very end ... which I think is the mag track. So if metal rods are inserted in the laminates then that must be for the newer models. Flex is actually a problem with the longer Riffe Euros as the cross section is extremely small, but a much better solution to metal rods in the laminates would be just a carbon fiber sleeve. It would be dramatically lighter and not alter ballast ... plus it would be much stiffer as it would be placing reinforcement on the outermost shell which is much more effective.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
kodama

Instead of adding a metal rod in there it would be much more efficient to put carbon fibre tubes in the body of the gun to increase rigidity.
But going that route it might be even more efficient to add a layer of cf in between laminates in a vertical direction.
This is already done by several builders. Gladiator for example.

A solid rod will flex easier than a pipe regardless the material.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
popgun pete

The metal rod comment is for the two-piece travel gun, they don't run right through the gun. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riffe_EuroTraveler.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	245433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riffe_EuroTraveler2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	245434  

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-08-2020 at 09:43 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #7
WESTBURY

Maybe I'm wrong about the rods in the Riffe euro guns.
I thought that's what I heard.
Maybe a call to Julie Riffe?

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:34 AM   #8
popgun pete

Common sense tells you that such a drill bit would need to be way too long to bore a hole longitudinally right through a wooden gun stock.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #9
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Instead of adding a metal rod in there it would be much more efficient to put carbon fibre tubes in the body of the gun to increase rigidity.
But going that route it might be even more efficient to add a layer of cf in between laminates in a vertical direction.
This is already done by several builders. Gladiator for example.
I agree on all this and if you laminate your own blanks, it should be easy to do. You can even use already laminated and cured UD strips, like SatDiver does in his builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
A solid rod will flex easier than a pipe regardless the material.
Not for equal size, but for equal mass, yes. The point is, as SpearQ8 also mentioned, that it is the outer perimeters that carry most of the force to the point that the center of a rod doesn't do much work, it just adds weight. Hence why covering the blank in CF will stiffen it up a lot as the walls are as far from each other as they can be.

E.g. for many years, high end sailboats have been built in a sandwhich where the core is ultralight, has little strength and mostly serves to add distance between the two skins of carbon.

A bit in the same vein, an Italian guy in Denmark did an interesting build some years ago. He took a fairly substandard wood (perhaps pine from an Ikea table), made a blank, covered it in CF and made a stiff nice inverted pulley gun. It was a cool build, he called it "The 8 Hour Gun" as the goal was to prove that you can build a well shaped, advanced gun with simple tools in very little time. He didn't quite make the 8H time limit but it was still a very fast build - helped by the wood being very easy to work with. And being encapsulated later on, it didn't need to be laminated to avoid warping.

Now, to finish my pretty severe thread drift (sorry), ever since I got into 3D printing, I have thought about how you could do the same. Print the blank (in segments) and wrap it in CF. You could add CF stringers, too inside the blank. You need to be OK at composites work and a vac bag setup would help a lot, but you could make your own C4 or other funky shaped gun for next to nothing. I think someone will do it soon and if I was not stuck away from home, I would be on it now. Release the files afterwards for free or sell them for ten bucks to pay materials for your next design

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 05-10-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
AEgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Common sense tells you that such a drill bit would need to be way too long to bore a hole longitudinally right through a wooden gun stock.
PoesidonSub used to make a gun called the "Voodoo Stick" (maybe I'm misremembering the name) which featured 2 internal carbon tubes running the length of the gun (excluding the muzzle). They not only added stiffness but also served as water-ballasting, and the gun was available up to 65" in length.

Common sense tells me that there were likely channels routed or milled into slats of the timber before the blank was laid up, rather than trying to bore holes of that length after the fact.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
PoesidonSub used to make a gun called the "Voodoo Stick" (maybe I'm misremembering the name) which featured 2 internal carbon tubes running the length of the gun (excluding the muzzle). They not only added stiffness but also served as water-ballasting, and the gun was available up to 65" in length.

Common sense tells me that there were likely channels routed or milled into slats of the timber before the blank was laid up, rather than trying to bore holes of that length after the fact.
That is right, but then there would be laminate joins in the timber.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #12
AEgir

The majority of wooden spearguns are laminated... including the Riffe Euro.
Not that I think the Riffe contains steel rods (or any rods) for that matter.
Don't think I see your point, or perhaps maybe you misunderstood mine.