Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
squeaks
poseidon

pole spears

do they make wooden pole spears? probably a stupid idea.. but just wondering
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
BenSpearing

Re: pole spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks View Post
do they make wooden pole spears? probably a stupid idea.. but just wondering

Here in Japan they do. Pretty cheap...about $6 for a 4ft or 5ft bamboo spear with a metal tip...single parbed tip or trident. They have some wood ones as well...4ft to 6ft lengths...mostly with a single barbed tip. Ok if you're just gonna be spearing small fish...under a pound or so...in caves, or lionfish, flounders, or other easy to spear fish. Usually looks to be 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch dowels...for a 6ft spear, usually 4ft-4 1/2ft of wood, and a single metal rod sunk into the dowel, and sharpened with a barb. i've messed around with some...fun, like a novelty item, but you have to get good hold shots on the fish and pin them down pretty quickly, or they tear them selves off.
Bouncing around Pacific islands, I've seen all sorts of different pole spears, made from any sort of scrap possible...
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
squeaks
poseidon

thats fricken awesome. i was thinkin they might make em out of teak. do some of them have screw tips? cause id order one then put a tip on it.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
BenSpearing

Haven't come across any screw on tips yet...or I may have and just not paid attention. s far as ordering one, most of these are just in Japanese fishing stores...and they don't usually break down...so you'd probably end up paying much more than the spear is worth, in shipping costs. You'd be better off making your own. Just make sure to strengthen the dowel where you drill in the whole for the shaft, so it doesn't split so easily.
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

also just remember to wrap the sling as you load it...the diameters of wood you are looking at will want to bow and flex...wrap the sling and you are golden
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
squeaks
poseidon

thanks man. i wanted to have a wood one cause i didnt really like the look of the fiber glass ones, and didnt want to pay 200^ for a riffe one. i just realized i shoulda put this in the "poles spears" section.. sorry.. didnt see it