Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

Re: RIFFE Knife????? WTH?

http://www.spearboard.com/attachment...2&d=1238351778 Mine came plenty sharp! The pic is a little graphic.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
ljsargent
6 hungry kids

Send a message via Yahoo to ljsargent

a good knife/sheath combo seems to be hard to come by and have lost too many due to faulty sheaths. i used to use them to brain fish but fish brains are ridiculously small and i was missing them way more than hitting them. now i cut the gills and bleed them, and it's better for the meat. i do want a knife that also will cut line in an emergency. i once ordered the omer laser, which is offered by several companies under different names but it was total crap in my opinion. especially the sheath. loose and sloppy, crappy retainer and really bad quality straps. i sent it back as soon as i got it. i had a jbl techno shiv which i liked very much but it fell out of the sheath also and is now gone. another $60+ down the drain. i now have a spyderco caspian salt. so far i like it very much and the sheath is the best i've seen so far. it seems that all the knives come with really bad quality straps, i use steel buckle straps that i got from my first dive knife about 10 years ago. if i lose this one i'm giving up, i'll just buy a bunch of cheap ones and duck tape them to myself.
You who go down to the sea,
and all that is in it.
You coastlands and you
inhabitants of them!

Isaiah 42:10

Last edited by ljsargent; 03-18-2011 at 04:49 PM.
ljsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #18
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I don't know if Riffe knives have changed, but many years ago, I did cut 3/32" cable, under water, with the serrated side of a Riffe knife. This was not a canned experience or a demonstration. It was a real-world unrehearsed event, and I'm very glad the knife worked.
I can attest to that, the Riffe serrated edge, did cut a cable slip tip embeded in a 250+ tuna, when I most needed it to get it on the boat.

I can say I was surprised since normally even cutting mono with a knife is hard enough.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
Hank49

Riffe knives are really good. I use them for gutting fish all the time. But they get lost too easy.....
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
patrick
president

if you use the bill mac signature series bungee loop, you can keep them a really long time. this photo attests to how long ive had this riffe knife, and how badly i have abused it, without bending or breaking it.

Last edited by patrick; 06-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #21
toku58

Well after tireless searching, countless hours on the internet.

I finally decided that the RIFFE Silencer was the closes thing that I could find that I would even consider a good dive knife/ sheath combo. (But I still believe that it's lacking in some areas)

The serrated side is fine it's the blade side that is DULL! I'm not looking for razor sharp, but I would like it to be able to cut paper.

So I spent the last 20 min. sharpening it and finally it can cut some paper.

That's good enough, I guess?

I'm starting to think that the Wenoka's are really good knives, when compared to what's available. My little Wenoka Ti squeeze lock is leaps and bound ahead of the knives out there.

Last edited by toku58; 03-19-2011 at 12:55 AM.
toku58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #22
freeride
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Well after tireless searching, countless hours on the internet.

I finally decided that the RIFFE Silencer was the closes thing that I could find that I would even consider a good dive knife. (But I still believe that it's lacking in some areas)

The serrated side is fine it's the blade side that is DULL! I'm not looking for razor sharp, but I would like it to be able to cut paper.

So I spent the last 20 min. sharpening it and finally it can cut some paper.

That's good enough, I guess?

I'm starting to think that the Wenoka's are really good knives, when compared to what's available.
The wenokas are great because they will never rust, they are small so no catching on kelp, you can mount on your belt, and most importantly you can remove it one handed and put it back and it will never fall out! If you want sharp though you will hate it, they are dull and the titanium is very difficult to sharpen. I actually prefer my knife not be too sharp so I wont kill myself when braining a thrashing fish and the serrated side is sharp enough to cut mono which is all I use. If you use cable shooting line you should get some shears.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
patrick
president

how much paper are you going to be cutting in the ocean? this is just opinion, but if i can pry 3 or 4 scallops off a rock and then still cut open a fish's gut cavity to chum for a couple more, then its still sharp.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #24
Wishihadgills

Cutting paper is a good test for a sharp pocket knife and is an indication that a knife is very sharp (I use this to test my pocket knives) Just a warning though that edge will not hold very long and will take a lot of maintenance especially in a salt environment. I have a Riffe silencer and it is a great knife. Just a tip make sure you rinse it and if you plan on storing it for an extended period of time spray it WD-40.
Wishihadgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #25
patrick
president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishihadgills View Post
Cutting paper is a good test for a sharp pocket knife and is an indication that a knife is very sharp (I use this to test my pocket knives) Just a warning though that edge will not hold very long and will take a lot of maintenance especially in a salt environment. I have a Riffe silencer and it is a great knife. Just a tip make sure you rinse it and if you plan on storing it for an extended period of time spray it WD-40.
so do i. but its a dive knife. different application. i dont test my machete on paper either, i test it on branches. just seems like a weird prerequisite to a tool that, in all reality, will be performing much different tasks... call me crazy.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
toku58

Well you guys do have a point. But if I need to cut some fish out there to chum I'd like the knife to be able to break the skin.
My pocket knives all can shave the hair off my arm. Cutting paper is still rather dull in my book.

I'm still thinking about buying the Wenoka big squeeze.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #27
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

I love my ti wenoka. It is not the new squeeze lock but the older "black Collins" edition. I love it. X3 for these knives
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #28
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver

I have the silencer, and my only complaint about it is that it doesn't have an attachment for use on a weight belt. I ended up using some pvc pipe and a heat gun to make an attachment for it, now I've got no complaints!
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
toku58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildiver View Post
I have the silencer, and my only complaint about it is that it doesn't have an attachment for use on a weight belt. I ended up using some pvc pipe and a heat gun to make an attachment for it, now I've got no complaints!
You got any pictures of your attachment?

Funny how a 440 stainless knife cost about $20. But add the word "dive" and the price sky rockets! I got a great Gear bag (36x16x16) for all my stuff for $30. If it said "Dive Bag" It would have cost me about $80. WTF!!

I plan on making a thigh holster for the silencer, and a shoulder holster for the Wenoka.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Devildiver
Casey H.

Send a message via Yahoo to Devildiver

Sure do.

It's not super clean, but it does the trick.

-Casey
Devildiver is offline   Reply With Quote