Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
cbrlibido

do i have a good set up???

hey guys!! im still in my learning phase even after 2 years of doing the spearfishing thing, i get out as much as i can, and have bagged a total of 6 fish over the past years including sheephead, calico's, and hali's. now my question to all of you is what do you think of my set up?? i live in socal and do mostly off shore freediving, i have a body glove ex3 5mm grey camo suit, which seems to be fine if i can get close to the fish, but if they see me, gone! so do i need a different suit??diff color?? second, i have a cheap jbl explorer 24 lighting gun, and a 6' pole spear with single barb point, they seem to get the job done but how big of a fish can i go up too??? i dont think the line on the gun will hold a huge hali or a wsb.... third, i have a 50' float line attached to the gun, or spear, then up on a trident float bag, the thing is pretty damn big and looks and feels solid but is it good??? i know this setup works for me and is cheap but....what am i looking at for the next step?? thanks for any info!! steve
cbrlibido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
patrick
president

Re: do i have a good set up???

where, and how often, are you diving? something definitely needs to change if you want to get fish, i generally am pretty darn depressed if i get less than six fish in a day. if your suit keeps you warm, it is fine. fish dont care if your suit is camouflage or flourescent magenta, they will bolt when they sense you trying to eat them. i think your range is very limited with your choice of weapons, i generally use a 48" midhandle with 3 bands or a 9' gat-ku polespear when in the reef/breakwalls or diving from shore. ive never shot the gun you speak of, but i just imagine you could do better with a 90-110cm eurogun. mako has some cheap ones, they get rave reviews, and the owner of mako is a really nice guy. of course, no one gun is perfect for everybody. but if youre not able to get shots off, then it doesnt matter what gun/spear you have. if you miss a lot of fish, upgrade your quiver. if you spook them all before you can get a shot, then upgrade your technique. as far as floatlines and floats, well thats just terminal gear, and shouldnt have any real effect on your harvest. i like reels mostly, myself.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
BenSpearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
where, and how often, are you diving? something definitely needs to change if you want to get fish, i generally am pretty darn depressed if i get less than six fish in a day. if your suit keeps you warm, it is fine. fish dont care if your suit is camouflage or flourescent magenta, they will bolt when they sense you trying to eat them. i think your range is very limited with your choice of weapons, i generally use a 48" midhandle with 3 bands or a 9' gat-ku polespear when in the reef/breakwalls or diving from shore. ive never shot the gun you speak of, but i just imagine you could do better with a 90-110cm eurogun. mako has some cheap ones, they get rave reviews, and the owner of mako is a really nice guy. of course, no one gun is perfect for everybody. but if youre not able to get shots off, then it doesnt matter what gun/spear you have. if you miss a lot of fish, upgrade your quiver. if you spook them all before you can get a shot, then upgrade your technique. as far as floatlines and floats, well thats just terminal gear, and shouldnt have any real effect on your harvest. i like reels mostly, myself.
x2 Lots of great info there. Even with the gear you have, just improving your technique should be enough to help you get more than six fish over a two year stretch. Find some experienced guys and start tagging along with them!
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
cbrlibido

thanks for the help guys! i usually go to local beaces/coves along socal from childrens pool to palos verdes...wherever i can get to without a boat. but thats soon to change, working on a center consol!! i do know my skills at free diving are that of a beginner, so i will deffinitly work on that more, as far as technique goes.....that needs work, i can sneek up on em pretty good but not good enough. my budget is too damn tight right now to get a better gun, so im stuck with the one i got for a while, but in the near future i will be looking for one! my suit keeps me very warm so thats good i dont need to change that, i have all my other gear, boots, gloves, good mask, weights, knife, fins, ect. so im good there!! i actually do have a hard time getting into contact with local spearo's that are willing to show me the ropes and meet up with me, im going to childrens pool sat to meet up with some dudes! hopfully its good and i get some fish! thanks guys for your help!! steve
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Bulit7

loose the JBL...
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
cksea

I only shoot fish on about half of my dives. I don't think I have ever taken 6 in a day. for targeting sheephead and butts your JBL will be fine.
cksea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
yellowtailslyer
Im a drunk

hey man, i think ur up the road from me, haha, i live in temecula. hit me up im usually always down for a dive on the weekends. i will definatly see you on saturday, we have lots of food but if youd like to pitch in we could use some hotdogs and buns, maybe and as far as your gear goes, i have a lightning as well and f***ing love it, its great for calicos and sheaps and also halibut if you have your float attached to the gun. halibut are very strong but arent very thick so the gun can handle it, and the shooting line is like 500# cord. bring your gun on sat ill have mine along with my new aimrite if you would like to see what a 100 cm euro feels like, haha see you sat.
yellowtailslyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
rhyne

come to an SD Freedivers meeting. you'll absorb a ton of great advice and meet people who are willing to show ya the ropes.

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
cbrlibido

yup! im about 10 minutes away from t mec, and im usually looking for someone to dive with. a few friends and i go out sometimes but not as much as i would like! good to know im not the only inlander!! but sat will work!! im in. how many are supose to show??? and i do like the gun alot, i just know it has a short range and cant handle a larger fish. damn....if i could get 1 fish every dive, i would be a very happy person!!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
cbrlibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyne View Post
come to an SD Freedivers meeting. you'll absorb a ton of great advice and meet people who are willing to show ya the ropes.
whens the next one??
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
yellowtailslyer
Im a drunk

not sure how many people are going. probably around 10 to 15. and as far as getting a fish, ur gona get a few, even if its sum rubber lip which are great for the grill.
yellowtailslyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I had a thought that might help you. There are several good spearfishing videos out there that are packed full of good stuff for new and expered. divers. You might look into these to sharpen your skillsets. Also, try to get some dives in with those that know the area AND the fish. Not all fish act alike. Learn all that you can about the fish you will be stalking.
Your body language while diving sends a world of info to the fish. Learn what NOT to do!! Learn the limitations of your gear.... that will only come with time underwater. Hope some of this helps..... great diving to you!