Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #3046
USFishin

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

9/29 vis and red tide report:
We went out W/NW about 25 miles from Hurricane Pass. Red tide patch was only from about 8 miles to 15 miles from the pass. Closer to shore was nice and past 15 miles was nice. The red tide patch was nasty though. The water was a dark rust color. Vis at around 65' was probably 25-30' horizontally and 40' or so vertically. We limited out on hogs and got one lionfish. Saw a couple of large Gags but they were elusive. Most other Reds and Gags were short.
USFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #3047
Russell stalk

20 miles west of hernando beach.... 23' viz was ttb! All day we could see the bottom. It did get pretty hazy by 2pm. Gags galore! Find the bait, find the gags. We shot several gags, hogs, mackerel, and a flounder. Had a chance at a huuuge kingfish... 50" several Bonita, and a cobia. ( school came by with a large bull) but didn't get them in... great day all in all. Water temp was 86* and there was a ton of green stringy algae. No red tide of any whatsoever...
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #3048
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell stalk View Post
20 miles west of hernando beach.... 23' viz was ttb! All day we could see the bottom. It did get pretty hazy by 2pm. Gags galore! Find the bait, find the gags. We shot several gags, hogs, mackerel, and a flounder. Had a chance at a huuuge kingfish... 50" several Bonita, and a cobia. ( school came by with a large bull) but didn't get them in... great day all in all. Water temp was 86* and there was a ton of green stringy algae. No red tide of any whatsoever...
Man, I really REALLY need to get my Hernando County on - only have a few numbers up there unfortunately
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #3049
dkay

10-12 miles W of Anclote produced nicely yesterday. No red tide seen. Vis almost ttb in 40’. Got our gags and hogs and saw a couple nice Kings. Had a decent shark pass thru on one dive but he wasn’t interested in us. I was more scared of the 4’ nurse shark that really wanted the hogs on my stringer while I was wrestling a gag from under a ledge. Poked him about 6 times before he got the point. Persistent little bastard!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #3050
Basskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal Rock View Post
It’s been a busy summer; however, finally got a Gag on my shaft for 2018. Thanks Eric for a great time on the Pelican. It provided all the motivation I need to continue updating and repairing my boat, so I can sell it. I think I see a Contender 27T with my name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice Gag!!! Good luck with getting the new boat!
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #3051
Dbrown

Red tide still present in force W out of Clearwater pass. We ran 29 miles NW to get well past it. Slow day for us. I only did 3 drops and never saw a legal gag. Lots of bait and lots of smaller fish. Did see a large cobia from the deck of the boat after returning to boat after last dive. We are on the NW edge of red tide. Couldn't get near him unfortunately. Viz otherwise was 35' out past red tide.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #3052
Russell stalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Man, I really REALLY need to get my Hernando County on - only have a few numbers up there unfortunately
I don't have much.. just the public #s... I went about a mile north of bendickson, my bottom machine picked up some stuff while running and I turned back around and found rocks and bait. Happened to be gag heaven. I use a simrad evo2... 9" screen. I have been tuning it and it is hands down a fantastic machine. Worth its weight in gold... im pretty sure you know how it's done lol you could probably show me a thing or two!
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #3053
mleach2114

Quote:
Sounds like i should've gone shootin this weekend instead of cleaning the garage
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #3054
grey2112

Quote:
I don't have much.. just the public #s... I went about a mile north of bendickson, my bottom machine picked up some stuff while running and I turned back around and found rocks and bait. Happened to be gag heaven. I use a simrad evo2... 9" screen. I have been tuning it and it is hands down a fantastic machine. Worth its weight in gold... im pretty sure you know how it's done lol you could probably show me a thing or two!
I've got a few near there - will definitely be checking that out soon. My Simrad NSS-7 (first generation) and Lowrance Elite ti are great machines as well.

We'll need to get together before the season is out, my boat or yours. I'm always up for exploring and finding new spots.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #3055
Seal Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basskrieg View Post
Very nice Gag!!! Good luck with getting the new boat!
Thanks, STILL fixing this one and hoping to shoot another that size before the year is over. Anyone have a detailer they recommend between Tarpon and Clearwater?
Seal Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #3056
Eibwen

Ok, who is going out tomorrow to check the vis? Wind on Sat supposed to be in the OK range...
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #3057
jbsrq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Ok, who is going out tomorrow to check the vis? Wind on Sat supposed to be in the OK range...
hope that's a joke. going to be milk for quite a while from that storm. There's another disturbance developing next week on the long range forecast as well.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #3058
Eibwen

Quote:
hope that's a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
here's another disturbance developing next week on the long range forecast as well.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #3059
Bonedaddio

I bet it's not! I'm his usual ride, and I'm dying to get out there myself!! Too much shore time on my part lately... life has had it's foot on my chest for too long!!
BUT no vis = no fun.
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #3060
CuzzA

Sometimes these storms actually improve viz by creating a significant up-welling of clean deep water. If things remain calm I wouldn't be surprised to hear good reports, I also wouldn't be surprised to hear it's soup. Of course I wouldn't hesitate to go find out.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote