Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Bonedaddio

Post New guy

Hi, I'm new to spear fishing and new to diving in the Tampa area. I moved to FL about a year ago, and promptly bought an older Outrage 20'; after fixing what needed fixing and re-powering to 200hp, I'm pretty ready to go. I've done some fishing and I want to go spear fishing. Oh Hell Yeah!

I'm new to a lot of this, so I'm looking for people to dive with, etc.
Also info on weights for free diving and scuba, as I don't have any yet.
I'm open water cert., from a ways back, but I'm rusty and need a few things like weights and longer fins. Got pretty much everything else.

So I'm just gonna shut up and observe, and ask a few questions.
Just let me say, you all are inspirational, especially the videos, and as soon as I can (and some warmer water would probably help, I guess) I hope to get out there!

I'll take tips, criticism, advice all equally well.

Thanks!

Les
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
CuzzA

Re: New guy

Welcome to the board, Les.

My advice is to get some dives in before you start spearfishing. Knock off some dust and do some checkout dives.

I think everyone would agree, it takes being a good diver to be a good spearfisherman. I'm looking forward to some future reports.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Welcome. I love the ride of that boat. My buddy had an almost identical setup that we took to the Middle Grounds a few times. The more you front loaded it, the smoother it ran. Mount your tanks all the way forward with some good solid mounts. Plan on having your cooler and gear up front, too.
What's your 10-20? Over.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Bonedaddio

I'm in Clearwater, going out of the Seminole Boat Ramp, or a couple times out of Anchlote. I like em both for fishing, but I have no idea which would be better for spear fishing yet.

Yup, I was a Grady White guy before, but this Outrage has converted me, completely!

Duly noted about the refresher/check dives; yeah, I've got new equipment to get used to so that'll be first, got to learn the new dive computer, and I got a travel BC that's a lot "fancier" than what I used when I certed, I've used it once and that's not enough. Has a couple more vents, that kind of thing. I like good buoyancy and attitude control, always paid attention to that.
Like I said, right now I'm working of figuring out and getting some weights; seems like a weight belt with pouches and soft weights would be good for the limited free-diving I'll be doing, cause then I can just transfer the weights to the BC weight pouches for scuba. I've got hours n hours n hours of snorkeling going back to the Mediterranean when I was a kid.

Thanks, guys!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Rroop32

Let me know if you need a diver buddy. I'm always up do some swimming! I'm in st pete, and regularly drive up to tarpon springs to dive with some buddy's. Let me know!!
Rroop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
Bonedaddio

Will do, Rroop32.
So I got with Neal at Bill Jackson's for a 4hr. training/refresher/spearfishing noob session, and it was invaluable! Tried out some long fins and LOVED them, bought a pair, figured out how to cock a speargun without nutting myself while not moving around too much, got my weights and gear sorted, and got my buoyancy control back. He is the best, and a great guy!!
Putting plugs and tank brackets in the Outrage, and going out (hopefully) on Friday with my mechanic, another great guy. I'm a lucky baastaaad!

I also got to sort out wetsuit and weight belt setup for free diving, etc. I was tired when I got done, but really felt like it was worth it.

Got a couple of questions, if anyone wants to help (as in: "Don't do it, you fool!!! No no no no"):
-What would a used Aluminum 80 (1995 I think; needs a Hydo and VIP which would cost $50.00, the last Hydro was in June of 2005) be worth? Has a boot and a cap.
-What would an Oceanic Bioflex Kevlar BCD be worth?? Assuming good condition.
I'm obviously looking at some used gear.
BTW, if anyone in the Tampa/St. Pete area is looking, Jackson's has used AL 80's, new Hydro and new VIP with an air fill for $129.00 Seemed like a good deal, got one for the boat. Might get another.
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
reel_drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddio View Post
Will do, Rroop32.
So I got with Neal at Bill Jackson's for a 4hr. training/refresher/spearfishing noob session, and it was invaluable! Tried out some long fins and LOVED them, bought a pair, figured out how to cock a speargun without nutting myself while not moving around too much, got my weights and gear sorted, and got my buoyancy control back. He is the best, and a great guy!!
Putting plugs and tank brackets in the Outrage, and going out (hopefully) on Friday with my mechanic, another great guy. I'm a lucky baastaaad!

I also got to sort out wetsuit and weight belt setup for free diving, etc. I was tired when I got done, but really felt like it was worth it.

Got a couple of questions, if anyone wants to help (as in: "Don't do it, you fool!!! No no no no"):
-What would a used Aluminum 80 (1995 I think; needs a Hydo and VIP which would cost $50.00, the last Hydro was in June of 2005) be worth? Has a boot and a cap.
BTW, if anyone in the Tampa/St. Pete area is looking, Jackson's has used AL 80's, new Hydro and new VIP with an air fill for $129.00 Seemed like a good deal, got one for the boat. Might get another.
Thanks!
Me personally, I wouldn't buy Aluminum tanks that old. Their life isn't as long as Steels and some dive shops won't fill them if they are over 20 years old. Some say anything goes if it passes the Hydro/VIP. I'd say it's worth the price a scrap yard would pay you for the Aluminum. I'd keep looking around. I bought 2 year old Aluminum 80's with almost no scratches for $100 a piece (just needed a VIP). The guy's wife had a dive injury and he no longer planned to dive.
reel_drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Rroop32

I really enjoy talking with neal!!! He gave me so much information when I bought my spear gun from bill Jackson's. I drive past bill Jackson's everyday on my home from work, and it's very hard not to stop in! Great folks! I'm off most weekends and always looking forward to spearing!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Rroop32

Also if your onFacebook, join Tampa bay spearfishing. Lots of local folks on there!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddio View Post
Will do, Rroop32.

Thanks!
I would consider buying steel tanks so you can take some weight off your belt. Hell, in the summer, with no neoprene you likely won't need any weight with a steel tank. Also, I would buy low pressure if your shop will give you cave fills. If not buy high pressure.

There are always deals to by had. For example, I'm up to eight lp112 now and I've paid $175 each. All have been from guys getting out of cave diving and all were current on hydro and vip. Those tanks will last a lifetime, and with a good fill I'm carrying the gas equivalent of two AL80's.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Bonedaddio

Thanks for all the info and help, so much to take in!
I passed on the questionable used stuff and bought another used al 80 (both mfgd in 2004) from Bill Jackson’s; mounting them forward as I can tomorrow. I’m gonna try 1/4” SS screws into heavy fiberglass, seven per 20” bracket, 1 each side. If this isn’t solid enuf, I have a devious way to get a drilled and tapped SS bar in there. I’ll post some pictures when it’s done, no laughing!!! I don’t have a lot of real estate, and I don’t want a bigger boat.

Steel tanks would be great, I’ll keep on the lookout; in full gear Neal has me using 20lbs. (maybe a couple more in saltwater), and I seemed to have decent breath/depth control, LOL, we’ll see how that goes in practice...

Rroop32, completely agree about Neal, I’ll check out Facebook, thanks, yes let’s hook up sometime!
Thanks again!
Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #12
sharpshooter

I agree with going with the steel tanks. I have steel HP 120's that I bought new going on their 5th hydro. Got rid of the Al 80's. Also, went to Din vs. yoke regulator at the same time. Back in the day. Al80's were the rage. Also, all regulators were yoke. For me, I can get 2 full dives at 90'-100' on 1 HP 120 tank. Some of my friends boats, "space" is at a premium. With 2 tanks, I can get at least 4 dives. All my dive buddies have Din valve tanks and regulators. If you're going stick with yoke. Get a yoke to Din adapter. That way you can be versatile. As already mentioned, during the summer no weights needed. I can wear up to a 1.5mil weight suit and not use any weight. If you ever go the MG diving. You'll be glad to have the extra gas in a steel tank.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
CuzzA

Yep, I concur on DIN. There's no possibility for an o-ring extrusion. For us spearfishermen I think there's a higher possibility to hit that yoke clamp if we're digging under a ledge.

Hell, sometimes it just happens. Like What happened here to jfjf.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Bonedaddio

So I got some work done on the boat, found a good place for the tank brackets up front (per Marcus' advice!), and got to go out for the first time on Sat. AM.
Initial visibility was maybe 40-50 ft., which got worse later as the wind kicked up. We came back in 4 footers, and the tanks stayed nicely in the brackets, didn't move a bit.
My friend, mentor and a damn good marine mechanic, Mike went along. We were maybe 8-10 miles out of Anchlote, in around 30 ft. of water. 3 dives, first one was fish everywhere, truly large gags, no legal scamps, small mangos and the usual grunts and some decent legal Hogs, I got 3, Mike got 3. The other dives were not as productive, Mike got one more, and I missed one (a nice one, of course).
All in all, it went really well; I'm psyched just about out of my mind to do this again!! Already filled my tanks!
Check out the metal gun in the picture; in it's stock config, after you pull the trigger, the bands and yoke would naturally dip down to the metal tube and "grab" the black nylon bushings and push them to the front of the gun. It shot weird.
So I put 1" I.D. electrical PVC sections on it to make the spear butt and yoke not dip, and keep the bushings in place. Works really well, gun is pretty accurate now, and the bushings ain't goin' nowhere!!
The leftovers were fish tacos tonight, and I'm really excited to go again!!
Thanks all of you for the advice and input!!
Just too cool, this sport is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3958-sml.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	237965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978-sml.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	237966  
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Whelp, if your tanks up front survived 4' ters, you did a damn good job. Keeping them secure was a challenge for my bud and I. The end result was worth it though. We secured the cooler up against the front bench seat and threw our gear in front of that. That left the aft free and clear to move around comfortably. The angle of the tank mounts made it a bit more challenging to keep the tanks secure, but worth it for the more pleasurable ride. It could seemingly make it even better by adhering some neoprene like substance under the tank/floor contact to keep them from slipping out of the holsters.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote