Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #1
KANANUMPUA

First Gun. Mako Titan Elite?

I've had some mixed luck with a crappy old (fiberglass, non-threadable tip, weak band, soft SS metal tri tip) pole spear and ready to make the switch to a speargun. After a couple weeks of research I've made a list of requirements I think I'm looking for:
- Banded
- Option for double bands for variable strength
- 90cm (+/-) seems like a manageable size for 1st gun with decent power
- Metal, with rail
- Fully SS trigger mechanism and release
- Dyneema wishbone
- Open or closed muzzle? I liked how Picasso guns have the removable piece to accommodate either.
- Durable
- Turn key, with mods (bungee, changing wishbone, etc.), cost under $250

I live near the North Carolina, USA coast (Morehead City) and will be learning on the rock jetties where a shorter gun is better. I hope to make it out to the near shore artificial reefs eventually so I want a gun that I can grow into. When I used to freedive on a regular basis I could get down to the local near shore AR depths. Will need to work back into that.

All that being said, I've found myself zeroing in on the Mako Titan Elite (Modified Open Track version). It seems to check all the boxes and essentially comes rigged and ready to go without and modifications. Only hesitation is that it seems to be a new model with limited reviews. That's why I'm here to see if anyone has any input or reviews before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Link to speargun in question.
https://makospearguns.com/titan-elit...ed-open-track/
KANANUMPUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:11 AM   #2
divenfish

Re: First Gun. Mako Titan Elite?

Even though I do not own a Mako Titan Elite, I would buy one without hesitation. Mako stands behind their products and with the 2 yr warranty you can't go wrong. The trigger mechanism is top notch. Check out Majd's (spearq8) videos on various speargun test.
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:13 AM   #3
spearq8

I did test this gun during the developing stages and it was a gigantic improvement over the original. Fantastic trigger (custom full double roller from Ermessub) and high handle. The gun I tested was with an aluminum tube which might have been a little nose heavy in fresh water of swimming pool. In salt water this would be probably be less apparent. Maybe with the finished version things have changed a little, but even in beta form, it was still a gun I would definitely feel comfortable spearfishing with as it shot extremely accurate even when pushing the power up. All shots stayed center throughout the test and there was no "walking" of the shots on target ... something that is very common with friction triggers as the surfaces get scratched and trigger break off point changes.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
jfjf

I am a big fan of MAKO and actually tested a lot of versions of the Titan Elite gun and mechanism during development and I shoot a Titan gun 95% of the time when scuba or freediving. I've taken literally hundreds of fish with the final version.

I think the stock 90 cm gun should work very well for your use. It is a great gun, plus you can upgrade or modify into a roller gun in the future if that is something you might be interested in.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote