Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Mg 08-27-2022

Been going out there on a regular basis lately. This time Chris and I had Bill Hardman and his friend Leo onboard. Chris was finishing up a Heliox class by Bill. We dodged the rain early in the am. Did a few dives where Bill thought we'd do good from prior SPO reports. Fish had moved. Storms started building and flat seas turned into white caps with building seas. Told the guys, dropping in won't be bad. It's trying to climb back up the bouncing ladder. We decided to motor towards home at a comfortable speed and see if everything might calm down. About 15 miles later. The sun broke thru and the seas became decent. So, we decided to try our luck again. Great choice . Leo and I were up. I took my GoPro off my mask. Maybe, doing this will improve my luck. Seems I always have better luck not wearing my GoPro. On the dive with Leo, I shot a very nice gag in the gill plate. The gag in a blink of the eye was gone with my shaft. I looked around in the area. Found a coral structure with a 2 sided entrance and hole on top. I looked in one side entrance and there were 2 gags. I swam up above and looked down. There were 3 nice gags sandwiched together. The one in the middle had a chunk of meat hanging out the side gill plate. Had to be the one I had just shot. I looked around and couldn't see my lost spear shaft . I slipped the ring over the shaft tip and drilled the gag in the head. A few minutes later. The gag and I headed up due to a NDL of 1 minute flashing. After being aboard for about 5 min.. Leo surfaced with some fish and my lost spear. When we got back, I gave Leo one of my gags in exchange for finding my lost spear shaft. So, he went home with his fish and a very nice gag. Bottom temp. depending on depth was 81F.-83F.. Horz. vis based on cloud cover and clear sun was 15'-25'. No sharks which surprised me on 2 fishy spots. We left around 4 am. and returned around 10 pm.. Got to love those bean bags.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 08-29-2022 at 11:11 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
CatDiver

Re: Mg 08-27-2022

Jose, you're living out in Middle Grounds lately!
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #3
sharpshooter

Rob, let me know when you're going and have room for me. Life is too short to not do the things you love. As they say, "tomorrow isn't promised to anyone".
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
grey2112

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	248424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5812.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	248427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	248428  
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #5
Dbrown

Nice fish! Agree with you on the bean bags. Leo is a nice guy. We lobstered with him and Bill amongst others down in Miami for mini.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote