Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
Prater

Re: First Speargun Build

OK,

I am back from my trip and the weather is warm enough to pour the track.

I have my epoxy, microfibers, and graphite ready.

I then set my gun in a vice and made sure it was level. I also used some tin foil, cardboard, and tape to plug both ends of the track.

I then mixed the epoxy until it was close to cake batter and added the graphite until it was constant black color and then slowly poured it into the track.

I used a paper towel to remove some drips that I did not want to deal with later. I now need to give it 24 hours to cure...
Prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #32
Get H3R Done
Langley

This gun is going to be a beast.
Get H3R Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #33
kjflyfish
snorklin'

A very thin coat of epoxy will bring back the luster of the graphite after you sand flush and cut the track - it will look sick!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #34
Prater

I checked on the gun after a couple of hours and noticed a lot of air bubles on top of the epoxy as it started to off gas. I removed the waxy area and added more epoxy from my mix, it was still in a liquid state. I then removed the extra epoxy by running my mixing stick across the top of the gun. here are a couple of pics with most of the air bubbles removed.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #35
seahunter49

You can try running a hair dryer on hot over the epoxy to get rid of the bubbles, or a propane blow torch from a reasonable distance. I believe I read you're supposed to over pour the track. The bubbles will be in the upper portion of the track that will be removed.
seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #36
Prater

I tried the overpour method but it started runing over the sides of the gun. I just checked and most of the track is smooth as glass.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #37
Prater

First off a few things I would do different. I used a 1/4 bit to make my slot for the fins. thats a bit too big, but 1/8 was too small and I dont have anything between. Also I mis-judged the cutter depth and went 1/16" too deep so I need to remove that from the top of my gun and also increase the depth on my mechanism pocket with the mortise machine.

I first took a file and knocked down all the epoxy that was over the top of the wood.

I then routed the 1/4" slot for the top of the track

Then I set the ball end cutter up to make the enclosed track

This is where I made my mistake. the cutter needs to be even with the top of the trigger

The resulting enclosed track

And then after an unsuccessful test fit of the trigger mech I cut out the pocket and droped the mechanism 1/16" and the fit is fine.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #38
SamoSpearo
kennen

this is bad ass. youve got an awesome workshop there with some amazing tools. definately jealous of the workspace... and the soon to be gun.
SamoSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #39
Prater

Thanks for the compliments. I generally get a new tool from the parents every year for Christmas. I am finally getting to use them all.

I pulled out the Planer (2007 Christmas) and got it setup on my portable tool mate. I then had to make a bit of room for the speargun to travel through. I set the planer to remove 1/32 at a time until I removed 1/16 from the top of the gun

Perfect fit now

I then marked where the jig would be placed for the trigger mechanism, removed the trigger and then clamped the jig in place

I then ran a piece of scrap teak through the planer to even both sides. I always drill through wood with a backing block to keep the holes from splintering or tearing out

I carefully lined up the 3/16 bit with the jig. It took about thirty minutes to drill both holes. I made sure they were properly aligned. When I believed they were in the right spot I started the drill but only let it run in the jig. If it started scraping aluminum I shut off the drill and realigned until it was perfect.

Here is the trigger mechanism pinned into the gun

Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #40
Gonzo
Mcguiver

Great work! Couldn't help but notice the setup, nice router table, and that table saw is the real deal, I think that this is the beginning of a long affair. I just finished my first a week ago and already I'm getting anxious to dream up my next one Can't wait to see how you rig up that bad boy
Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #41
Gonzo
Mcguiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prater View Post
Thanks for the compliments. I generally get a new tool from the parents every year for Christmas. I am finally getting to use them all.

I pulled out the Planer (2007 Christmas) and got it setup on my portable tool mate. I then had to make a bit of room for the speargun to travel through. I set the planer to remove 1/32 at a time until I removed 1/16 from the top of the gun

Perfect fit now

I then marked where the jig would be placed for the trigger mechanism, removed the trigger and then clamped the jig in place

I then ran a piece of scrap teak through the planer to even both sides. I always drill through wood with a backing block to keep the holes from splintering or tearing out

I carefully lined up the 3/16 bit with the jig. It took about thirty minutes to drill both holes. I made sure they were properly aligned. When I believed they were in the right spot I started the drill but only let it run in the jig. If it started scraping aluminum I shut off the drill and realigned until it was perfect.

Here is the trigger mechanism pinned into the gun

did that jig come with the trigger mech? what a great idea
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #42
Prater

Gonzo,

I paid the extra $10 for the jig when I ordered the trigger.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #43
xrispearo
you cant see mee

thats comming along pretty smooth
what about the oversized trigger pins? i'm in the same situation
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

The gun looks good so far!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #45
kjflyfish
snorklin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
thats comming along pretty smooth
what about the oversized trigger pins? i'm in the same situation
Dremel with heavy duty cutoff wheel. Have a cup of water handy and dunk often.