Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Thumbs up BLUEFIN TUNA "Quest for Giants"

I originally wrote this thinking about a mag article but this is just as good. Sorry about the length. Get a beer!

For all bluewater hunters landing giant tunas is a passion we all share. The thoughts we invision late at night or deep in our dreams of getting in the water with these awesome and powerful fish is something that we all have a quest for. This is the story of a group of divers who went on that particular quest.
The journey started one evening on a December trip in the Coral Sea at Marion Reef for dogtooth tunas. I found myself gazing off in the distance while getting ready to have some dinner onboard our hired charter. There the owner of BWHI Rob Torelli was talking with some of the other clients about trips he had the upcoming 2007 season. As I stared off in space and keeping a bit of an ear out for what Rob was talking about I noticed a flyer that he had sitting out reguarding an upcoming trip that next year. This is when I caught a glimpse of his next greatest adventure. The Hunt for the Giant Bluefins. Somewhat stunned I asked Rob if this was really going to happen. He said that some of the logistics were being worked out but he was pretty sure it was going to happen. This is when I let Rob know I wanted in. I wanted a shot at not only a big tuna but a monster tuna.
As the end of January rolled around I received a much awaited email from Rob reguarding the trip of a lifetime. He said the trip was a go and attached to the email was everything I needed to know about the trip. Without hesitation I signed on and if I wasn’t the first one to sign up I was sure going to try and be. Now I had 7 months to really start thinking about the trip ahead of me and what I needed to do in order to prepare for the trip. From this day on, at some point during every day up until the trip, I had hunting bluefins on my mind. Constantly thinking about bungies, floats, and more floats. My tuna gun, my back up gun, the shaft and slip-tip. The coated heavy duty cable and how I was going to swage every last end together and know it was going to be good enough for a giant. I was in the water as much as possible diving whenever and however I could convince someone to go diving. I ventured to South Africa to go spear yellowfin tunas with Daryl Balfour and Zak Zacurro whom I had met on the Coral Sea Dogtooth trip as a precursor to the bluefin trip. I dove my local blue waters of the Virgin Islands and the inshore reefs. Along with suffering many hot afternoons in my two piece 5mm wetsuit to make sure I had weights and everything else set. Also many afternoons were spent with the 6 band tuna gun loading it and shooting it time after time all while suffering a very bruised chest. I wanted to know that if I pointed my gun at a fish of this size that my shot wasn’t going to miss and I was going to hit it were I was aiming.
The time was near and the final team had been put together. It was a group of divers from all corners of the globe. Rob Torelli was to be replaced by none other than Andy Ruddock representing BWHI from Australia. Also current Record Holder of the pacific bluefin, Dean Martin along with his cousin Steve Hathaway both from New Zealand and pioneers of what we were about to attempt. These three were to be our guides and safety divers if need be. From Italy and meeting up with us at the final leg of his round the world bluewater trip Riccardo Antolel. Kyle Nakamoto from Hawaii and president of Red Sea Ocean Adventures was coming along and hoping to do some filming as well. There was Craig Classen who from Louisiana was fresh off of shooting some yellowfins with Cameron Kirkonell in the gulf and myself rounded out the group.
The night before I am leaving my local friends had taken me out to wish me good fortune on my trip were all dropping off like flys at my house and slowly disappearing into the night, the dogs staring at me wondering why I was leaving them once again and then the phone rings. It was my cousin calling to inform me that he was not going to be showing up in the morning and that I would have to find someone else to take care of my 4 dogs for the next month. “WTF you’re not coming.” Already full of the butterflies about getting ready to leave I am now left having to figure out how to change tickets from the Virgin Islands to New Zealand. After sorting things out I depart and make my way to New Zealand via a whirlwind of flights and layovers that would turn most people inside out. Craig suffered some of the same pains as well on his flights and ended showing up a bit late the first day.
Finally in New Zealand I get to my hotel the night before everyone is supposed to arrive and I feel myself starting to get fairly ill. By the next morning I am starting to have doubts about my health for the trip. Major illness has set in and I can feel myself slowly getting weaker by the hour. Finally Dean Martin picks me up at the hotel and assures me that everything is going to be fine and we have enough stuff between everyone to keep me well. Upon arriving at the boat that morning I am dumb founded by the mountain of gear in front of me and greetings from my new mates for the trip who are all in great spirits helps spruce me up for the time being. While waiting to load the boat the captain was still finishing up with the clients from the previous charter. This is were we all caught the site of a fresh 200 plus kilo bluefin and we all new then what it was we were going after. You can only dream and wonder so much about a fish of these sizes until you see the thing in front of your face. With everyone poking and pointing at the fish about were the best kill shot would be and analyzing and storing away all the important info we needed to remember about subduing one of these fish.
Finally loaded up onto our new 65’ home for the next week we began sorting and rigging guns and gear for the trip out to sea while the captain was checking the weather forecast. The captain lets us know that there is no hurry and that we won’t be leaving until the following afternoon until the weather calms down and we can safely cross the local Westport bar getting out of the channel. Well I start thinking this is good and it will give me another day to hopefully get better. Wrong, by the next morning I am indeed worse, clogged from head to toe and feeling weaker by the minute with no appetite I force tea and food into my system. While enjoying breakfast the captain assures us that we will be leaving in the afternoon at the high tide and that we should have decent weather on the way out. So I ask, “Captain what are the seas supposed to be like today on the way out?” In his Kiwi voice, “Ah not to bad, 3-4meters and 25knts wind.” Yeah roger that captain!! And here I was thinking that the third tuna trip this year, third time has got to be the charm for good weather, NOT!!! I have come to a conclusion that pretty much whenever I go on one of these big bluewater trips I am just not going to have good weather, ever. It only happens on the way in, which really is a nice way to finish a trip.
All loaded up with few hundred pounds of chum and 1or 2 thousand pounds of ice we shove off in search of giants. Heading across the bar everyone in good spirits and grins as wide as the boat we make our way at 10knots for the tuna grounds in rolling seas. About an hour into the chug out some of the guys are not looking so good. Especially Dean, he’s getting greener looking by the moment. I’m thinking to myself, “World record holder about ready to hurl, can’t be.” Yep, he’s letting it fly alright, and not far behind him comes yet another green sole, Steve. I can’t be, these guys just did this last year, how did they manage? Soon after these two Riccardo joins the fun and shortly afterwards I find out that Craig isn’t so well either. Sitting next to Andy we reminisce back about the punishing 36 hour trip out to Marion Reef and how so many people got sick on the way out the there as well. Luckily I am one not prone to sea sickness because having that on top of being down with the flu I would have been done for sure. Settling in for the night we set the boat into a drift and tried to catch some sleep since tomorrow we will be looking hard for the tunas and a shot at getting in the water and having a go at one.
Waking up early from not being able to breath I head up to the galley to fix up some hot tea to warm me up and get the blood flowing. Temps can’t be more than 45F outside. Steve still up from a long night of seasickness is running back and fourth from the helm to the stern shouting something about tunas underneath the boat. A quick glimpse of the bottom machine confirms big fat red blobs of tuna. The captain shows up and before long has a baited hook and is trying to hand feed a giant tuna from the stern. Since the sun had not come up yet we were certain that at all costs we had to take any chance at boating a fish so we figured we would catch one hook n line to make sure we had fresh sashimi and steaks to take home. Captain yells, “FISH ON!” With all the divers amped up Andy Ruddock decides to take the rod which was a good choice since most guides don’t normally get to do any spearing on these trips. A 2-3 hour battle ensues and finally they get the fish to the leader and manage to boat the fish without realizing they had broken the leader in the battle. HOLY CRAP was the first words I think I heard when the fish hit the deck. How big is it captain someone yells, “Awe about 330kilos I would say, heck of fish.” “Biggest one I’ve seen all year.” Now we really are getting fired up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluefin comp.JPG
Views:	2760
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	63240   Click image for larger version

Name:	chum boat.JPG
Views:	2565
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	63241   Click image for larger version

Name:	blue1.JPG
Views:	2633
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	63242   Click image for larger version

Name:	fillet.JPG
Views:	2563
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	63243  

Last edited by kill shot; 10-16-2007 at 04:50 PM.
kill shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Re: BLUEFIN TUNA "Quest for Giants"

Shortly afterwards the 4 divers drew straws to see who would go first. For some reason I actually prayed for the fourth longest in hopes to get a bit better. Close, I drew third man in the water. We had decided on doing team drops with a safety diver, a camera man and the shooter and really whoever else wanted to jump in and see the action first hand. Kyle was going to be first and it wasn’t long before he was getting suited up. We decided to look for the big hoke trawlers which the bluefins like to follow and that is were Kyle, Andy and Dean would jump in and see if any one was home. After a couple of jumps at the first trawler the guys see nothing except about a thousand birds in every direction. The captain decides we need to in search of another trawler and off we go and to find another one, this time a Russian ship. The captain pulls up beside the boat yelling, “Chum ready, divers ready, awright chum, chum, chum.” 5 gallon buckets of chum going over the side of the boat in hopes of attracting the tunas attention long enough to pull them off the side constantly chumming trawler. This would give us a chance to get in the water hopefully long enough to get a shot off on one the tunas. As the captain readies the boat in neutral he begins yelling, “Divers overboard.” The anticipation of what happens next is what the rest of us on deck were waiting for. Andy comes up yelling obsenities about how many tunas he just witnessed and how big they were and how it is the most awesome site he has just witnessed in his 20 plus years of diving. The captain turns back to pick up the divers and upon getting back on the platform the 3 divers tell encouraging tales of the fish they just witnessed. Excitement rushes thru the rest of us and smiles are now covering the faces of a group of divers that were not feeling so good hours before. Since Craig was next up and then myself we had a pep talk and we were both in some sort of agreement about waiting another day possibly for better seas since it was still 3-4 meters and blowing 20knts. Shortly after this we tell Kyle to have another go since we are no were even near ready to get in the water. Kyle and the guys make a couple more jumps and then on one jump Kyle gets a shot off on a monster only to have slip tip pull out from the fish. The guys once again get back on the platform and to my amazement Craig is getting suited up. The fact that Kyle had got a shot into one was enough to convince Craig to get suited up. The other guys have another go this time from the other side of the trawler and once again upon getting out of the water boast about the mass of fish. “All the fish are on this side of the trawler,” yells Andy. Now Craig is suited up and ready to give it a go. Steve Hathaway pulls me aside and says, “Hey Eric the fish are here, you should get suited up in case Craig shoots one you might still have chance this afternoon to have a go. They might be gone tomorrow.” Feeling like total crap I man up and start getting ready. Upon doing this Craig gets one dive under his belt, but we will call it his second since he had to dive for his sunglasses in the harbour, and has a look at the fish and assures me there is big fish down there. Next dive in and Craig fires off on a nice fish with his custom Merlo tuna canon and the heads pop up and you hear 3 different voices yelling fish on. Hell yah rings through my head. One diver yells I think he stoned it. Craig’s first in a series of 4 RA Hippo floats never goes down. He still gets a second float advanced quickly up to the front for added resistance. But the fish gives Craig a good 30 minute battle before he can get the fish subdued and solidify the deal with a kill shot to the head with his back up Daryl Wong. After some underwater pics they hand Craig the flying gaff hook so the fish can be lip hooked and dragged onto the back platform. What a sight watching 4 grown men man handle a fish of that size onto the boat. Everyone now is really fired up with the fact that Craig has landed and boated a fish. This really is possible and Craig is more stoked then words can describe at the fish he just landed not to mention the first guy as well. The bar had definitely been set by him at this point and it was up to me to make sure we kept the ball rolling. Steve yelling across to me, “Eric you ready? We have a bit of time left in the afternoon for you to give it a go.” “Yeah Steve I’m ready, lets do this.” With Andy as the filming diver and Dean as my back up safety diver we readied ourselves next to the trawler and the atticipation began to build. With my stomach some were up near my throat I grabbed a big breath of air and rolled off the back of the platform and made my dive thru the prop wash. After clearing thru the wash I am greeted by the sights of numerous giant bluefins. I think to myself holy crap. This is insane, with thoughts running thru my head, which one do I shoot, were do I shoot him, how deep am I, were are the giant makos!!! I resurface and grab another breath thinking to myself I just blew it. I had three different opportunities to shoot a fish and hesitated. I notice the fish are still hanging around feeding quickly on the remaining hoke chum. Sucking up again I make my way down thru the swells and line up on big fish coming my way, waiting, waiting the fish turns off early and even though I know the fish is in range I don’t want to risk a bad shot on the fish and turn to my left to see two nice fish coming up from behind me and line up the closer fish letting the shaft fly from 25ft. WHAM! Perfect shot behind the peck fin. The fish stops for a second, did I stone it I think to myself and the in a blistering second the fish sounds for the bottom. I grab the 75’ bungie on the way by and let it feed thru my hand which took about 5 seconds till it got to the first float and then in one motion the fish pulled me under a few feet just long enough for me to realize this was not a fish I going to hold onto. Shortly after letting go the float came right back up. I don’t believe it ever went more then 10-15ft down, but it looked like 50-60 in my weary condition. I manage to get a good hold on the fish and realize that although this fish is pulling hard it really isn’t pulling the first float down. So I take time to advance the second float up to the first float to create more resistance and then I will still have the board for the back-up. This is when I really figure out that this is not going to happen quickly. I begin the task of pulling up the bungie and sliding it thru the shark clip at the end of my RA 35liter float only to have the fish pull it all out again from stretching the bungie so thin. So I repeat the effort again and again and again. He is just so strong, all this while being towed thru the water sometimes at speeds of who knows how fast. I did hear Andy behind me say one time that he was having to kick like there was no tomorrow to keep up with me and the fish. Time after time I am getting weaker and weaker by each and every pull of the bungie cord. I grab the float and pray that I will puke from the sickness that is getting the better of me. Again I try to cough and puke, no go. Andy comes over and says, “Eric take your time, you have a good shot in him.” And I follow with something to the tone of, “ I’m done Andy, I have no energy.” Andy assures me that I need to relax and take my time. Easier said then done with a 500+ pound fish on the end of your spear. Finally with a bit of help from Andy we manage to get the fish up enough and on to another shark clip with a bit more bite to it. From here I am able to get the fish up to the shooting line and tied off. Dean hands me my back up gun and has me load it. After a solid hour or more of pulling you want me to load that 140 two banded euro gun. I gave the first band a go and thought there is no way I am going to be able to load this thing. Again Andy says relax. Then out of no were I see a big shape in the distance, OH SHIT is this the mako I have been thinking about for the last hour? Turns out to be a Minke whale coming to see what was up. Finally I get the gun loaded and make a dive to about 35ft and land a finishing kill shot to the head of the fish. Now I am pretty certain that I will land the fish. Some more pulling and I get it to the floats and Andy helps me tie it off, but with each swell the fish sinks at least 10-15ft with me attached. Finally after some well deserved photos I swim the fish over to the back of the boat and lip hook him with the flying gaff. The sound of cheers and hell yeahs from the guys in the background assure me this fish is big. Up to this point I could of cared less if it was 50lbs the way I felt. I crawl up onto the back of the boat and damb near pass out from total exhaustion. Then I turn and see what I have just landed. HOLY CRAP!!!! Now I am quite a bit more excited I would have to say and sickness is just a thing of the past for the next hour. I think I made it about another two hours before passing out in my bunk from the flu while everyone else celebrated the days good fortune and watched some of the videos. I was out cold!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dean.JPG
Views:	2474
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	63245   Click image for larger version

Name:	gaffed.JPG
Views:	2448
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	63246   Click image for larger version

Name:	steve.JPG
Views:	2456
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	63247   Click image for larger version

Name:	tip digging.JPG
Views:	2472
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	63248  

Last edited by kill shot; 10-16-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

The next day I was worse and the weather hadn’t really gotten any better but it was now Riccardo’s turn to get in and have shot at one. He looked as bad as I felt just from the seasickness. But he suited up and got his A game ready for a shot at a monster. With 5 floats, bungies and float lines all connected and ready the pulled up to the trawler to have a look to see who was home. First jump reveals the big boys are there. Riccardo decides to just have a look on the first go and then to have a serious go on the next jump. With the boys back on board and now multiple cameras rolling for some action( me shooting from the topside as well) they ready up next to the trawler and they have a go on the captains word. With divers in the water Riccardo wastes no time in pulling the trigger on a big fish. Someone comes up yelling fish on. Then a split second later you see Riccardo’s floats screaming across the water and the first one goes down, then the second, then the third, is someone going to grab those things, they are to far away, then the fourth and last but not least I film the last we ever saw of those five floats disappearing into the depths. We searched for a good hour before realizing in these conditions you will never find them unless you send a ROV unit down looking for them. Riccardo obviously disappointed looks done, but I have got a fish already and so has Craig and instantly we are trying to convince him there is more gear hear for him to use and give it another go. He declines and says he wants to take a break and give Kyle another chance. Now Kyle is rearing to go after numerous sightings of bluefin while filming. Using Craig’s Merlo tuna gun and a loner slip-tip from myself since Craig’s is still buried in his fish, we gear Kyle up once more for a final chance. With a maze of 4 floats connected between bungies they ready themselves once again on the back platform and prepare for battle. Under the dark clouds of the morning they once again enter the realm of the bluefins and Kyle and has gotten a shot off on a nice fish and is holding strong. The fish is pulling on his first Riffe 2 Atoms float and occasionally pulling it under but not much since Kyle is determined to land his fish this time and won’t let go. Occasionally being dunked himself in the process. After about 30-40 minutes of battle the fish gaines a bit on him and starts to pull the first float down but it isn’t far from the second monster Rabitech float strung behind it with a 10ft. bungie. Then all of a sudden the fish gives a strong pull and dunks the first two floats and then they resurface and Kyle is using every once of energy to keep this fish up and fight him and then in a flash the fish gives one last go and sinks all of his floats. One by one they are disappearing in the distance. In amazement the guys hop back on board so we can conduct a search on the surface for the floats. This time we are sure the floats must come back up after the battle Kyle just had. But to no avail they never resurface. Very disappointed Kyle keeps up hope and searches for a good hour from the top of the boat. That two sets of gear gone now. Bluefin 2, spearos 2. With Ricarrdo declining another go the guides get there stuff ready and prepare to show us clients what’s up. Dean Martin is first to have a go and it wasn’t long after hitting the water that he manages to give one the shaft coming at him head on. This time Dean was sure he was going to break his own record and as the fish is coming underneath him the shaft snaps in half a few inches above the tip. What are you kidding me. A 3/8” shaft snapped in half like a toothpick. Amazing just amazing. Now who’s next? Andy speaks up that if we loan him some gear he will give a shot. Now Andy is not your average spearo. There is good reason for why he is a guide and his next dive was no acception. Within seconds of Andy hitting the water, maybe like 3-4 seconds he shot and had a fish on. Now Andy wasn’t about to let another fish get away and so the he begins the process of advancing the floats and working the fish up. For a guy his age he sure made it look easy. He had the fish up to the shooting line in about 30-40 minutes and had a solid kill shot in the fishes head. It wasn’t long before we had his fish in the boat and boasting over the size of it. It would not have been right for the guide to shoot a smaller fish then the rest of us, nope he shot the biggest one of course. Now that everyone has had a go there is still one man standing who has been working his but off to help get us out of the boat and in the boat sort float lines, grabbing guns, cameras you name it. You asked and he was there. He was along to hopefully see someone break the record and help out, although he did happen to bring his dive gear with him. “Yeah Steve I think you need to give it a go.” I say to him. Since there isn’t much time left in the charter we need to hurry up and get him setup. Dean is helping rig the guns, guys are filming, Andy is getting ready for one last dive so he can hang the suit up and have some much deserved beer. After a couple of jumps the prospect of Steve landing a fish is not looking so good. Captain says he has one more jump left and that is it, that we need to start heading back in. With a bad thermo cline and low viz now Steve makes one last ditch effort to shoot a fish and indeed he succeeds on his last dive. He is pulling so hard that on every pull he damb near comes clear out of the water. After just having surgery weeks before he man handles the tuna to the surface and subdues him with a second shot and we manage to get him on board after a good underwater picture session. Topside the pics keep flowing since the sun has decided to come out and create some great colors for the shots. It wasn’t long and the captain had us on auto pilot heading home. Lots of cheers and good beers were had on the way in amongst the mass of gear sorting that was taking place. Not long after that the captain was hard in to the filleting of giant tunas on the back of the boat.
Kyle set us up with probably the best and freshest sushi feast that any of us have ever had and it didn’t take us long to devour about 10-15lbs of tuna on the way in. More high fives were had once we weighed the remaining fish at the dock and discovered the weights of our fish. Hoping for a fish of 400lbs. I was happy to see the scale tip over the 500 mark. Craig looking for 500 went well over that mark as well and Andy’s fish tipped the scale at just over 600. We never did weigh all the fish as some of them needed filleting to satisfy our hungers for fresh bluefin while at sea.
Although the seas were not the greatest it did make the trip that much better in the fact that we had to work even harder to land our fish while riding the ocean roller coaster, or should we call it the tuna coaster. Our success was largely in part of all the guys making it a team effort. With plenty of poly boxes full of fish we headed off into town for one last celebration with the captain and his son at a local restaurant. We saluted each other with full glasses of wine and beer on a successful and unforgettable QUEST FOR GIANTS!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	captain.JPG
Views:	2400
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	63251   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.JPG
Views:	2381
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	63252   Click image for larger version

Name:	dubs.JPG
Views:	2434
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	63253   Click image for larger version

Name:	eye.JPG
Views:	2386
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	63260  

Last edited by kill shot; 10-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
deepdown

Nice!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
SwampThing
proud RA slinger

amazing
Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
DivenShort

WOW!! Awsome story.
DivenShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
Scott
S. Tremaine

Amazing man, thanks fo rthe story, now I'm ready for a beer. Truly epic my man, and no monster Makos, sick..
this should almost be a sticky hehhe
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
RODOLFO

WOW ERIC GIANTS TUNAS
RODOLFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
JuJuMan16
Hogfish Slapper

This is a great story! Congrats

http://www.sf-ft.com/
JuJuMan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Now, Thats what am talking about, real fish.
Congrats my friend, very well done.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
zenspearo

Holy crap!! Awesome writeup and even more awesome fish! Thnx for sharing.

Please generalize the LOCATION/TIME of your spearing reports.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #12
Wahooooo!

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It is an inspiration for me and I am sure for many others.

Bruce
Wahooooo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
sbh

Awsome and once again...well earned!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
Scott
S. Tremaine

Where is the footage available?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote