Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Market Place > Member Items

Member Items This area is for members to list stuff they want to sell. This is not for retail sales.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
PargoAmargo

Re: Power head - Quick Slip On Powerhead and belt pouch for 9/32(7mm) or 5/16(8mm) sh

Yes, PM for how many you need.
PargoAmargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #17
LA Diver

Re: Power head - Quick Slip On Powerhead and belt pouch for 9/32(7mm) or 5/16(8mm) shafts

I shoot Riffe spearguns with 3/8" and 5/16" shafts. All of my guns have slip tips on them, will these devices work with my guns. I have thought about buying these before but did not know if they were compatible with my Shafts and slip tips.
LA Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #18
PargoAmargo

Re: Power head - Quick Slip On Powerhead and belt pouch for 9/32(7mm) or 5/16(8mm) shafts

I called Jay Riffe about this because someone else had the same question, Jay said he doesn't think it'll fit because his slip tips are 3/8"(?) diameter. I'd have to pop into a store that carries then and try. If there is enough demand I may have the PH made to fit a 3/8" diameter shaft or slip tip.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #19
WonderBoy
My Wong held by a Pirate

Send a message via AIM to WonderBoy
Re: Power head - Quick Slip On Powerhead and belt pouch for 9/32(7mm) or 5/16(8mm) sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PargoAmargo

As far as making the PH reloadable. First, I'm sure you're aware that companies such as Beco make a very reliable reloadable PH. The question is why is such a PH not suitable for us as spearfishers for shark protection, there are a few reasons.

1. They take too long to put on, secure in place and remove one or more safeties in a tense situation. That might be your only decent point.
2. For a consistently effective caliber cartridge the stainless steel PH would have to be too heavy to allow reasonable range when mounted on a speargun shaft. I disagree completely. I've used a Beco .223 and it wasn't amazingly heavy on the shaft. Besides, how much range do you need? If the shark is far away enough that you can't shoot it, get your ass out of the water.
3. They can be deployed by accident, such as by dropping them. Only if you are irresponsible. Same as a true firearm. They have two safeties for a reason. Never remove both of them unless you are ready to fire. Don't blame the PH for a defect if it's your own lack of personal responsibility.
4. Not a very important reason but nevertheless; The legality of moving one around on land is questionable. Show me a reported case where someone was ticketed for having a powerhead. I doubt that would be enforeced as long as you are a diver.

If the aluminum PH were to be manufactured to allow reloading, cost would increase while the probability of rendering it useless after discharging will stay the same, not a good deal. I have aluminum ones I've re-used over and over. Not sure what the difference is.

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul...
WonderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
bigdaddy-bang

pm sent
bigdaddy-bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #21
PargoAmargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBoy
I disagree completely. I've used a Beco .223 and it wasn't amazingly heavy on the shaft. Besides, how much range do you need? If the shark is far away enough that you can't shoot it, get your ass out of the water.
My point is that a .223 is not enough protection against a shark. If you were to make a Beco style stainless steel powerhead for a 7.62 cartridge it would be much heavier. If you think that a .223 is enough for shark protection I will not debate with you further.
Quote:
Only if you are irresponsible. Same as a true firearm. They have two safeties for a reason. Never remove both of them unless you are ready to fire. Don't blame the PH for a defect if it's your own lack of personal responsibility.
The bottom line is that it has happened, to good safety conscious divers.
Quote:
Show me a reported case where someone was ticketed for having a powerhead. I doubt that would be enforeced as long as you are a diver.
This particular issue is not of high concern for me as I've already stated but it may be for others. There is a reason why the Beco's are sold with a rod welded on.
Quote:
I have aluminum ones I've re-used over and over. Not sure what the difference is.
Here's a quote from another SB member from this thread http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=48925 talking about a PPD which is what I assume you're talking about, I happen to agree. I really don't want to turn this into a PPD discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast
Yeah much cheaper. Like 5x cheaper. Don't forget to mention they don't go off 1/2 the time, they fall off the end of your spear after you fire them (if they don't get stuck in the body of the fish) They are never the same after they've been fired the 1st time IMO.

Look I shoot powerheads commercially for a living and also shoot in an area of the state (NE FL) where almost everyone dives powerheads exclusively. I think I might just know a little bit of what I'm talking about. Everyone up here from the recreationals to the commercials uses the BECO.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
WonderBoy
My Wong held by a Pirate

Quote:
If you think that a .223 is enough for shark protection I will not debate with you further.
I do think that .223 is enough for shark protection. Why you may ask? Because I've seen a ~800 lb sand-tiger killed by one .223 round. Split the skull right in half. Dead as a door nail in less than 1 second.

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #23
PargoAmargo

And I have shot a 6ft nurse shark with a .223 in the head, it left a hole the size of a quarter and did not change the sharks attitude one bit. I had to keep fighting it off with the spear in my hand. I've heard the same story from other spearos who's opinion I hold in high regard. The .223 Beco is a well made tool but it's for commercial harvesting of large fish not shark protection.

wonderboy, When I was selling my Beco a few months back you came on that thread saying the exact same thing I'm saying now as a warning for potential buyers who might consider it for shark protection. The thread has been deleted since so I can't prove it. You're damn consistent in trying to ruin other peoples sales threads. I'm through with your BS.
Quote:
I do think that .223 is enough for shark protection. Why you may ask? Because I've seen a ~800 lb sand-tiger killed by one .223 round. Split the skull right in half. Dead as a door nail in less than 1 second.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #24
WonderBoy
My Wong held by a Pirate

I'm really trying to search for the words right now. Why in God's name did you shoot a nurse shark? I gotta tell you man, I've been diving for some time and I've aggravated alot of nurse sharks. I've been bitten a few times. They have the smallest teeth and I think the weakest jaws of any shark ever! My Golden Retriever inflicted a greater wound playing tug of war with me than any nurse shark.
At this point, I will not respond on your thread anymore. The little respect I had for you has gone completely out the window. Bulls, tigers, makos, whites, sure, they're viscious, kill 'em all! Nurse sharks? Hit it on the nose with the butt of your gun and call it a day. I see absolutely no reason to kill a nurse shark in "self defense".

Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #25
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Quote:
And I have shot a 6ft nurse shark with a .223 in the head, it left a hole the size of a quarter and did not change the sharks attitude one bit. I had to keep fighting it off with the spear in my hand. I've heard the same story from other spearos who's opinion I hold in high regard. The .223 Beco is a well made tool but it's for commercial harvesting of large fish not shark protection.

wonderboy, When I was selling my Beco a few months back you came on that thread saying the exact same thing I'm saying now as a warning for potential buyers who might consider it for shark protection. The thread has been deleted since so I can't prove it. You're damn consistent in trying to ruin other peoples sales threads. I'm through with your BS.
I have a .223 & it lived on my kill spike and would dispatch an aggressive shark with ease. I doubt you would want to fire the other kind from a kill spike. HOWEVER all I carry now is my home made 7.62's they are just easier to deal with and cheap.

Still cant believe you PH'ed a nurse shark though.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
PargoAmargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Still cant believe you PH'ed a nurse shark though.
Maybe you haven't met one that wouldn't go away? I can't believe other's PH fish on scuba, and
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #27
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

Quote:
Maybe you haven't met one that wouldn't go away? I can't believe other's PH fish on scuba, and

I just sick my wife on them she likes to hug them

What's the problem with commercial hunters PH fish for a living? I dont know any rec hunters who PH fish.

Nevermind I get it your trying to turn this into another freedive VS scuba thing or a my way is better than yours. Have fun.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #28
PargoAmargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
What's the problem with commercial hunters PH fish for a living?
The problem is that this is spearboard not powerheadboard, and powerheads interest spearfishers as a means of protection against sharks not as a harvesting tool.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #29
PipinFan
PipinFan

Went spear fishing a couple of days ago to the Keys and I saw about 9 mega big Nurse Sharks coming all the way up and taking fish from the buoy,chasing me down while I was free diving down to caves and trust me they were "HUNGRY" I pinched with my gun about 3 of them Jezz they were Huge animals and a friend of mine shot one on the head because she/he was a mega big one and acted too aggressive,I would try not to shoot one but I will not hesitate to shot one if is ready to bite or (suck) I know of a very very experienced spear fisherman in my home town that lost he's right calf to one.
PipinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #30
PargoAmargo

Thanks for sharing your experience Pipinfan. People who have seen these animals in an agitated state recognize the necessity of providing them with an unquestionable deterrent.

BTW I have heard of a nurse shark related death. Apparently these fellows can drown a diver if their teeth get caught in the nylon outer part of the wetsuit, and they will bite if provoked.