Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #46
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Re: future blue water gun!!!

I think I am going to mount the trigger completely flush with the blank, then take a piece of purpleheart maybe 1/4 in thick and cover up the trigger all together, so you will just see the shaft dissapear into purpleheart. We'll see how things go.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #47
Big Pig
Ken Jones

John

Check you PMs. You are over thinking this. There is nothing that can't be fixed with either epoxy, duct tape, or 5200
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #48
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

I so much feel your pain. I had a couple of beautiful pristine burmese teak stocks that I had some expert furniture maker straighten. Much like Brents experience, they came more doglegged than going in, and he took over .5 inches from the width

I've learned that gunmakers have a completely different understanding of precision than carpenters, furniture makers. They just don't do tolerances of 0.005".

Maybe you could rip the whole top mess (track) off, and laminate a horizontal piece of purple heart of lace, and machine the track on the other side. I guess you could also machine out just the purple heart messed up inner laminate, say 3/4" deep and fill it with a strip of purple heart.

In any case, at the end you'll have a beautiful gun, and you're gonna make plans to make some more. Its like crack.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #49
orangekiwi

i use a glue that is like an epoxy, part A and B mixed 1:1. To this you add graphite powder for colour and smoothness.
The consistency ends up being like peanut butter and I have used it for making an integrated rail, fitting my shaft perfectly. I think that is the product to use, if other options fail.
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #50
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Great tips everyone...I think I have figured out a way to kinda smooth this mess out. I am not at home now and wont be untill sunday night, but when I do get home, I will have more pics and progress.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #51
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Deepdestroyer,

Sucks that guy messed up your project. My guess is he doesn't know shit about woodworking by what he did. But it looks like you will be able to make it work out though. Consider it a learning peice. I have yet to make a real one yet but have heard many times form people to make one out of a 2x4 first so you can work out all the bugs so when you buy that nice expensive wood you will know what not to do. I know, a little late for that now. But I think in the end wether it looks perfect or not and you wack a fish with it you will be smilling and that is what counts most. Good luck and the wood on that gun is beautiful, nice combination you picked.

Eric
kill shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #52
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

kill shot, this is not the first gun I have made. I first started out making a gun out of some pine in my garrage, then built a 55 rear handle gun with some teak I bought from Big Pig which turned out much better than this project is going so far. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, and I think I made my mistake by not just doing it myself in the first place. Just like the saying "if you want somthing done right, do it yourself"
I also think teaknsteel was right. A carpenter can have all the woodworking experience in the world, but that just doesnt cut it if they dont understand what they are trying to build. Anyway, the gun will be salvaged, and it will shoot fish. Just isnt going to be perfect like I had imagined.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #53
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Sorry my bad about the first gun thing. Good luck and hope it works out for the better. Still really like the choice of woods.

Eric
kill shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #54
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Hey no problem man, I appreciate the input...I was just saying that I did practice on pine and still F**k'd up. If you decide to build a gun be sure to show us!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #55
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

ok got updates, Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right dirrection in my "varnish and epoxy" thread I ordered what I thought would be best and I am very pleased. I tested it out on a piece of extra wood I had from the gun and here are the results!

Also I filled in the trigger pocket with epoxy today and am going to redo it with a ROUTER lol. I will post pics as soon as I get the trigger and track mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0024.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	51285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0026.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	51286   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0027.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	51289   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	51290  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #56
FeAr_ThE_SpEaR

I can see myself in that wood! hahha Looks beautiful man! Deffinetly going to be a one of a kind gun! Just cause of that wood!
FeAr_ThE_SpEaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #57
Uno Breath

That wood is so beautiful. What did you end up ordering as a finish?
Uno Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #58
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

"kleer cote epoxy" from US composites, I may put varnish over top for extra UV resistance, We'll see.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #59
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

That's gonna be one shiny gun. You're gonna need to wear

Nice job.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #60
Griswold
Chad

John, Sorry to see that it didn't go well. If you want to save that blank, I suggest that you mill it out even more, to center it in the wood, fill it with epoxy (with black pigment) and start over with the cuts.

For what it's worth, I'd start on the table saw cutting a grove that is centered and then use the router to widen the grove.

Make a pine blank the same size as your gun blank and do all the cut on it first.

Sorry, I wrote this before reading the last page of posts. Looks like your doing fine now.
Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote