Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-02-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
borquaoar

Send a message via MSN to borquaoar
spearguns

what do you think about european spearguns like; OMER Master competition, MB30,Cressisub and Picasso's spearguns
borquaoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Steel Shootin'

Just wanted to do my job as chairman of the welcome wagon and say, "Welcome to Spearboard." Our first European member. Very cool! We also have a guy who registered from Africa. Would like to hear more about spearing in other countries, and not only about types of fish, but also about attitudes in general towards spearfishing.

Sorry I don't have any info on those guns. I have seen most of them, but never used them. If you've used them, feel free to enlighten us.

Scott
Steel Shootin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
f94gator

My 1st gun was a pneumatic Punto, which was Italian. They don't make them anymore so if someone tries to sell you one, don't do it. Stick with band guns anyway.
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Charlestondivin

I shoot a 115cm carbon fiber euro gun With A riffe Euro shaft. I love it. One band, fast to load, and it has gone right through (or stoned) every fish i ever shot with it. I used to be a diehard biller shooter but that beuchat has really proven itself to me. for our style of hunting here in charleston it is great for ledges in 90-100
great range and penetration.
I do get some weird looks from my fellow shooters. Just my opinion, take it as such, im sure others will disagree.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 AM   #5
borquaoar

spearguns&band

I had a Beuchat junior.It was a good gun.I like Cressi sub's Apache carbon fiber and Omer's MB 30 & Master Competition
You are right one band is enough, Beuchat's18mm band is great
The Master Competition and MB30 are generally used with 20mm bands and its hard to use them if the speargun is longer than 100.For 120 - 130 I can say that it is better to use the gun with two bands of 16 mm.MB 30 &Master Competitions are good they make no deviation while shooting.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:25 PM   #6
frogman

Charlestondiver,

I have the same Beuchat Mundial Carbon 115 cm and does a pretty good job. I agree it looks like a broomstick with that thin, light barrel but it is great for all around fishing in Florida. Do you know if it would accept 7 mm shafts?
As far as other Euro guns go you can't go wrong with top of the line OMER (Aluminium, Master, etc) or Picasso but I have not used them personally. They are pretty pricy in the States.

P.S. Borquaoar,

How is the fishing in the Med? Are you spearing some dusky grouper and "dentex"? I grew up in Greece and I miss those fish (I guess I have to "settle" for hogs, muttons and blacks).
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:05 PM   #7
Charlestondivin

Frogman, As far as i know it takes the standard euroshaft. If you go to anyone that sells riffe they can get them for you. Or you can find them onlineHERE
The great thing about the riffe shafts is that they have those sharkfin tabs. eliminates the weakpoint in the shaft so you wont shear the shaft as easy. The riffe shafts also seem to be built better don't seem as flimsy.

Ive got the 20mm bands on my beuchat 115. It was kind of hard to learn to load at first but i got the hang of it. I was used to loading my biller on my hip.

It gets the Job done.

Last edited by Charlestondivin; 11-05-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:09 PM   #8
borquaoar

I know that your gun accepts .24 .26 & .28 shafts.It must accept 7mm shaft also.With Cressi and OMER we use 6.3,6.5 and 7mm shafts and there is no problem.I don't know about the prices in the States but in Turkiye Master Competition & Cressi's Commanchee are the most pricy guns.Their prices change between 300-350 dollars.

You can learn more about your gun at:
www.beuchatdiving.com
Old 11-05-2002, 07:58 PM   #9
frogman

Thanks for the info, guys. I was worried that the sharkfin tabs may not go through the closed muzzle of the Beuchat but I guess that is not a problem.
CD, did you still stick to the long shaft for your Beuchat (170 cm or 68") or you shortened it a bit? I think the 170 cm shaft may be too long for the thicker size.

BTW, it is a pain loading the 20mm bands on your chest and you definetely need a chest pad but it is much easier than fussing with the multiple bands that most american spearguns carry.

Borquaoar (man, that is a tough name), I would stick with the OMER over the Cressi. From what I remember, OMER is more of a quality manufacturer than Cressi. Unless you are going after "Dentex" or pelagics a short 90 cm band gun is all you need in the Med. Just line up those big heads of the dusky groupers under a ledge and they are history!
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote