Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Here is the gun sitting next to a Pathos 130

Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
spearq8

Nice! Have you looked at the sears to see if they are holding up well? The gun I have came with a 6.75mm shaft and the 7mm did seem tight in the track. Not sure how you are going to route out a larger track as I can't imagine putting that on a router? Maybe if you make a jig to allow the gun to be square? I was thinking of just cutting the tall sides off to get rid of the ET.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #18
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
why dont you start to learn and improve yr poor spearing way before to bla bla bla ?

Why don't you try and improve your communication skills before posting something that is only possible to understand if drunk or high? WTF is bla bla bla? What is "spearing way"? This is a post about trying to mod a Pathos Sniper gun to see if there can be an improvement ... not about "spearing way".
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Why don't you try and improve your communication skills before posting something that is only possible to understand if drunk or high? WTF is bla bla bla? What is "spearing way"? This is a post about trying to mod a Pathos Sniper gun to see if there can be an improvement ... not about "spearing way".
so get drunk or high !
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #20
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Spearq8 and z1taz , you two are quite possibly some my favorite inspirations in my builds and several of the smartest people on this forum. Please for my sake, lets play nice in this thread.

Instead knocking eachother down, lets try to build each other up and learn from our collective knowledge. My goal is attract all kinds of input to help better this particular platform, and others in the future. You guys are some of the best people to add to this thread.

Thanks, I very much appreciate your invaluable input over years, its been a huge help.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
Marco

Hey Tony! It's nice to see you playing around with guns again.

I'll follow this thread.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #22
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

i am also wondering how you plan to route the track to a larger diameter.
Since you are only increasing the bore .5mm- my experience says you can do it with a scraper shaft or some sticky sand paper on a 6mm shaft. Jon (ulusub) had a thread where he talked about using a shaft with a burr on the side to scrape.(at least that's how I rmember it- maybe I am mistaken)
I know that the scrap[er method will work with uhmw tracks and poured tracks- if it is g10 or something like that - it may be too hard .
when I epoxxy coat my guns - i always end up with excess epoxy in the track that has to be scraped out at the end of the build - so I have developed tools (or re designed the wheel- ha) to do it.
Next time you come down- you can bring it and do it in my shed - with my burr shafts- using the scrape method.
I actually have a jig that has the router moving on rails above a stationary work piece . You can take your gun and clamp it to the table- using wood "spacers " to achieve the correct height- so the gun is at the same height- in relation to the bit- at both ends- then you can move the jig till you have the bit on the center line of the track- then clamp it down to the table- once you have center established and the height is parallel and correct- you can run your larger bit.
Just doing .25mm increase - wont likely be a problem - but technically- you need to keep the bottom of the track the same and just remove material from sides and top of et- or it may strike the mech housing on it's way in - or (worse) may strike the sear or somehow effect the release?
Again - with only .25mm increase- it may be a non point.

One thing- about that line release position- is that location good or problematic? At a glance it SEEMS like a problem - but I can't figure exactly why it's definately different but maybe it's good? idk,

question- did you put that "belly " material on the gun? - on the bottom - in front of the handle- on the bottom of the barrel? - the pics don't show that section in any detail- and at a glance it looks rough- like maybe you added it- but there are no close up pics - so I can't be sure.
If you DID add material to create a cuttlefish shape- good job! -

i like the muzzle of the gun- it's the ONE piece you aren't planning on modifying - so you must agree- hah
with all these modisications you are planniong - I bet you could take a cressi Geronimo and make it shoot like a champ!
once you changed the overall shape- the handle - the trigger - the sear - line release- what is left? the muzzle?
- you are essentially starting with a muzzle and building the gun around that right? haha

is this the best muzzle design period? is there anything you would change about it? - is it a milled piece like the tin man masterpiece muzzles?
or is it toy plastic? or in between somewhere.
I have seen lots of muzzles that seem like they would let the bands lay nicely- but never seen the bands loaded on them (like your pics clearly show) actually cressi has one that looks very similar- but I can't tell how well they are designed- just from piece of the muzzle alone- with no bands on them.
As you know - I am in the process of making some new muzzles - so I have been wondering if it is worth it to utilize a design similar to this one .?
Seems like it is- judging from your pics - that particular muzzle puts the bands in the perfect alignment
definatley a great muzzle.

Last edited by Impaler Spearguns; 12-19-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Impaler Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #23
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
i am also wondering how you plan to route th...................from your pics - that particular muzzle puts the bands in the perfect alignment
definatley a great muzzle.
Yowza Jay, thats a lot of questions but Ill do my best and answer them all for ya.

First off, I plan on getting a 7.5mm spear for now and maybe up to an 8mm. I typically only shoot a single wrap and the 7.5mm spear I KNOW works perfectly for my needs here and my RA spears are cheap and easy to get. I will see how I like the double wrap setup for now tho.

I know there was a thread that that one guy made mention of cleaning a track I have forgotten who said that or what they made mention of. However, my experience says that simply using a small washer that was cleaned up with a file, screwed to the end of wooden dowel with 1/32 of an inch over one side that is passed back and forth over a track would open an epoxy poured track up no problem.

However for this track I am planning on going a slightly different approach. Since I dont think the metal is thick enough to remove any, my plan is to get either a wooden dowel or steel rod and affix a bead to the end of it and either using a hammer or a press and opening that track right up.. I know its possible as I already opened the end of it with an 8 mm spear a little already but wasn't about to hammer one of my amazing GR spears. I plan on doing this tomorrow and will do my best to film and document this step as best as i can. I typically get on a roll and its hard to take pics along the way. Personally I might just make it an open track and not worry about it. Either way, I will document and do my best to explain my methods and tools needed for this.

As far as the line release, in my mind this was one of my biggest issues that I have always had with the Pathos line. However, I have to say, this is nothing more then a mental problem and not an actual issue what-so-ever. After using the gun a few times, this top line release is easy-peazy. I sit at home and unload/reload my guns 1000 times before Ill ever shoot it and got used it at about the 500...I will also do this with my eyes closed too and have no problems with this anymore. Its slightly different then a side line release and not enough to make any sort of issue with it.

As Mr Madj said earlier, the line release is taller and appears to be slightly thicker as well. So far after about 15 shots I have not had a single issue with the line getting stuck on it. I have always made a special tab on the side of my gun to allow for this line to guide along to the muzzle, and have always had good luck with it. However, i shot this gun about 15 times today and already have issues on the sear with marks. So my booster kit has already been ordered.. I might take the guts from the 130, but since i just got it all cleaned up Im not sure I want to take the handle apart...who knows. Once I paint it, it will need at least 3-4 days to dry and completely gas off.

The belly of the gun is a plastic add on part that appears to have been glued on the gun. I would like to remove it and actually pull it closer to the handle of the gun, but I wont be able to fit my Aussie Reel on there as I would like it. The edges of it have some rogh spots on it and I have already smoothed 90% of it, and will go over more once i have all my primers, paint, powders, and clears in my hand.

As far as the muzzle, it IS beautiful...BUT i still plan on modifying it in a few areas actually. Two places I think can be worked on. I dont want to give all that fun stuff away just yet, but while its 90% in my book, I think I can do a few things to make it at least 98% ....as we both know, the ONLY way to make it 100% perfect, is if Tin Man himself actually made it...but the people at Pathos did a hell of a job making me a good platform to modify... So far the biggest I mod done right now is the handle. The difference between the stock handle and mine is night and day...no question about it. I about to buy a 5lb bag of polymorph so if you want some I can make that happen.

All of the plastic is very high quality and nicely made, I cant really fault anything about that on the gun.

Were you able to use the CAD drawings of your muzzle I sent you?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #24
kwtony
Snorkel Master

A few others remarks about the gun I noticed today. With teh 6.75 spear, the gun floats with the handle upside down.

With the 7mm spear the muzzle with JUUUUUUST barely negative while the handle seemed to level out at about 1 feet under water...Once I get a 7.5 mm spear, my reel and everything needed. I will use splitshot on a string of mono tied to the muzzle and the belly to get it exactly as I want it.

Also. While I was at it. After using a few shaft cones on my BW guns and my Pathos130, i have decided to convert every spear I have to use them. The accuracy went from 3 inch groupings at 19 feet to about 1 inch groupings, plus the entry hole on the fish is nearly non existent. If you were to ball your hand up over the top of the flopper and run your hand down it, and compare to a coned flopper, you would be shocked. I used to file down the tips of all my floppers like this to combat this problem, but now these cones are 100xs better....

This is about half of the spears, Mr Petros will be getting me more soon

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #25
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
[...]
question- did you put that "belly " material on the gun? - on the bottom - in front of the handle- on the bottom of the barrel? - the pics don't show that section in any detail- and at a glance it looks rough- like maybe you added it- but there are no close up pics - so I can't be sure.
If you DID add material to create a cuttlefish shape- good job! -

[...]

is this the best muzzle design period? is there anything you would change about it? - is it a milled piece like the tin man masterpiece muzzles?
or is it toy plastic? or in between somewhere.
Taking the liberty to post here;-)
The belly is a new feature on Pathos newest line of guns - it's on their roller, too. It is an add-on to the barrel and at least one of the bellies can be bought as a part, too. I guess they must have a few different molds for this, as they have one for regular Pathos circular barrels, too. Also, the belly for the roller guns have band retainers molded into them.
(SpearQ8 talks about the belly for the roller and its knuckle-killing design here.)

In reg. to the muzzles I am pretty sure they are made by injection-molding fiber reinforced plastic;-). Same way they are making their handles and reels. Same way most plastic parts on production guns are made. Pathos sells guns by the 1000s - machining parts out of Delrin would not be feasible for anything but small production runs. The big numbers these brands churn out pay for the injection molds and it ends up being cheaper and faster. Maybe they made a few machined prototypes before committing to the molds, though. Or perhaps they 3D-print their prototypes:-)

Tony, great work! Any gators in that channel and even if so, is it OK to drop it and do some tests shots?

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 12-19-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #26
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Here are a few better photos of the belly of the gun.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #27
Behslayer

You could open up that track with a few wooden dowels. Take a few Flathead Screws of different sizes leading up to the max size matching the bore you want. Screw each one into the end of a dowel. (you can reinforce it with many wraps of tape if necessary.) Give his a quick run on a flat sander and then hone it with wetsand on 400 grit. Then you'll have some Sharp round scrapers. Would peel away that material pretty cleanly.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #28
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Yes, there are quite a few different ways to open the track up. Im still on the fence how I want to go with this guns setup...If i go open track I will use a belt sander to get the main meat taken down, then will use blocks and files to clean up.

I wonder if I mess it up, if i can buy a new barrel and start over again. I wouldn't mind and open and a closed version of this gun. Ive called and ordered from Petros like 3 times today already, I cant call him again today or else he's going to start ignoring me
Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #29
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Tony, great work! Any gators in that channel and even if so, is it OK to drop it and do some tests shots?
There ARE gators in here, but they are terrified of me so I never get to see them. I drop in an do tests shots pretty regularly. Sadly its not clear enough to do videos, so I just shoot throughout the day and make my notes on the side of a jet ski with a wax pencil..
Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #30
kwtony
Snorkel Master

5: Muzzle modification is near completion and it came out perfectly. Basically I wanted to make some plugs I could glue into place that would tighten up the band holes on the muzzle. All I will do is smooth them out, and glue them in tomorrow.

Last edited by kwtony; 12-19-2016 at 11:24 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote