Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Re: Tired of my Pathos

Side and rear views of my butts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	209061  
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #32
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Side butts
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	223
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	209062  
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #33
kwtony
Snorkel Master

if they don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy... ducttapeforlife
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #34
Marco

Back in the days, when I used an old Omer whit VERY short 20 mm bands, I used to glue an extra neoprene pad in all my wetsuits. It helped a lot. Just cut a piece of an old wetsuit and glue it to your rashguard/wetsuit in the area where you place your gun butt for loading.

Now that I use doble banded (14 or 16 mm) Euros, I don't care if there's a loading pad on them or not. Just place the butt in my upper abs and that's it.

However, if you like Makos, buy a Mako and end of story...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #35
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

You do not need to epoxy the loading pad. All you need to do is drill a small hole and screw it in.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #36
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

I don't shoot eurotrash guns cuz I'm 'Merican. (sarcasm font). But if I had to duct tape my gun to make it functional I'd be looking at other brands.

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing any gun over the other. I'm blissfully ignorant in euro guns. Just wondering why you would want to buy a new gun that needs modification right out of the box?
I'm assuming they excel in other areas making the compromise worth it?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #37
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy76 View Post
I don't shoot eurotrash guns cuz I'm 'Merican. (sarcasm font). But if I had to duct tape my gun to make it functional I'd be looking at other brands.

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing any gun over the other. I'm blissfully ignorant in euro guns. Just wondering why you would want to buy a new gun that needs modification right out of the box?
I'm assuming they excel in other areas making the compromise worth it?

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's otherwise a good gun for the money, but the butt is a major design flaw in my opinion. The rubber pad doesn't do much to help either. Opinions will vary though I'm sure.

I ended up buying a gun with a larger butt and going with 3 14mm bands instead of 2 16mm bands in hopes that it will make loading easier and less painful. *knock on wood"
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
shafe

i have a Pathos 90 with a single 20mm band. it's a smaller butt so it hurts a little but not so much that i actually would complain about it. much less switch guns

i think losing the rubber tip didn't help you. and i think you may just be more sensitive because of your physiology. no offense intended
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #39
AdamAquatic

No offense taken. I think it's a combination of things, but my physiology certainly contributes. The gun really should have a better butt, but as someone else mentioned in another thread, those of us who dive in warmer waters are more likely to complain because we don't wear as many layers. Compounding problems unfortunately. It's a good lesson learned though. If something isn't working for you, then you shouldn't sit on your thumbs. Sort it out and enjoy the sport.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #40
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
No offense taken. I think it's a combination of things, but my physiology certainly contributes. The gun really should have a better butt, but as someone else mentioned in another thread, those of us who dive in warmer waters are more likely to complain because we don't wear as many layers. Compounding problems unfortunately. It's a good lesson learned though. If something isn't working for you, then you shouldn't sit on your thumbs. Sort it out and enjoy the sport.
All you have to do is throw on that rob allen loading pad and you are set!I have used something like it and you really don't notice it after a couple minutes in the water.It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a whole new gun!
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #41
shafe

Quote:
i didn't realize you were from warmer waters. my bad. i wear a 7mm. I'm sure that makes a big difference.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #42
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafe View Post
i didn't realize you were from warmer waters. my bad. i wear a 7mm. I'm sure that makes a big difference.
No worries, man. I should probably update my profile to be honest. I bet that 7mm suit does make a heck of a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
All you have to do is throw on that rob allen loading pad and you are set!I have used something like it and you really don't notice it after a couple minutes in the water.It is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a whole new gun!
Granted, the butt of the gun is my biggest gripe, but ultimately there's more to it than that. I have a heck of a time loading 2 16mm bands so I decided to go with 3 14mm bands. The advantage is that I can get a little more power that way while making it easier to load the gun at the same time. Unfortunately though, I can't modify the Pathos to hold 3 bands. It's definitely an added expense to buy another gun, but in the end, I have a backup gun and a new toy.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #43
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
No worries, man. I should probably update my profile to be honest. I bet that 7mm suit does make a heck of a difference!

Granted, the butt of the gun is my biggest gripe, but ultimately there's more to it than that. I have a heck of a time loading 2 16mm bands so I decided to go with 3 14mm bands. The advantage is that I can get a little more power that way while making it easier to load the gun at the same time. Unfortunately though, I can't modify the Pathos to hold 3 bands. It's definitely an added expense to buy another gun, but in the end, I have a backup gun and a new toy.
You could always get a new shaft as well.The tabs on the pathos shaft are super close to your chest making it awkward to load compared to other railguns.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #44
hau
peskadot

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I've been hating my Pathos Open Pro Laser 110 a little more with each dive. Even with a chest pad the butt plate is just too narrow. To be fair, it's not a bad gun. It's probably just because I'm a skinny guy with thin skin. Whatever the case, I'm leaving in a week for a week long dive trip and I'm not looking forward to shredding my chest. Yep, waited until the last minute! *face/palm* Anyway, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way so I'm curious to hear what alternatives some of you have found.
I can relate to this ^^^. NOT about Pathos, as I have never owned one, but just about WANTING to change. Example is that I used to shoot 6ft 35lb guns and loved them. Then I switched up and started loving 120mm famous brand pipe guns and hating on the 35lber. Now I'm going away from the pipe guns and back to wood Next, I'll probably be wanting to buy a brand new 35lber. All in the matter of only 30yrs spearing
The above is fun, interesting, educational AND good for the gun builders

EDIT---NEVER get rid of your old guns cause EVENTUALLY you may swing full circle and want to use that type of gun again

Last edited by hau; 08-04-2014 at 11:44 PM.
hau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 AM   #45
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Took a buck fidy wrasp today to my handles. I think it will help to spread out my butts.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	162
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	209097