Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #46
miles

Send a message via MSN to miles
Re: Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Hiya

There are a couple of tecniques involved. I've posted a thread on it before, so i hope you don't mind if i copy it here. (too much to type all over again!!)

Our tuna grounds start from about 1nm off shore to 40nm+. We normally run through the cold Benguela current, which is normally 10-13degrees celcuis to the warm Aghulas current, which is 16-22degrees celcuis. Sometimes the warmer water comes right into shore and the rock anglers DO catch YF tuna from the rocks. Those are small 20kg fish, as the anglers are normally trying for kingfish, so their tackle isn't adequate.

Once you've found the warm water, which generally is about 15-20nm off shore, the fun begins. There are no reefs or pinnacles or islands. Water is around 500m deep. There is an area known as the Canyon, but even the shallowest point on the Canyon is a couple of hundred meters deep. As you know, the secret to shooting ANY big pelagic fish, is to FIND them!!!

A couple of tecniques are used depending on the season. Early in the season, we have long line hake boats and trawler vessels catching their quota. Simply finding them and chumming behing these vessels is the easiest way to get into fish. Bad side is that, like a month ago, there is only 3 long line vessels and 46 recreational boats (mostly recreational tuna anglers) who all try and get behind these boats.

The other methods are the usual, looking for birds working, looking for YF tuna swimming on the surface and trolling. Now trolling in itself is another ball game. I normally run two Rapala cd18's or cd22's or Halcos or Storm lures, as well as two meduim size Yamash-ita squids. Remember, i've got a 21' semi rigid, so i only troll four rods. The larger boats troll 6-8 rods, but we're here to shoot YF, not catch them!!!! Good colours are the red head Rapala and brown/yelllow and white squids. When a strike is had, the skipper then turns the boat in the direction of the strike. This does two things, it accelerates the other lures, creating the image of fleeing prey, which normally results in muliple hook-ups and it also now brings the boat closer to the hooked fish, which hopefully still has the school with him. The boat is then stopped and chumming starts. Only 4-5pieces per minute, or else the chum sinks too deep and the fish will stay down and wait for the chum. With so little chum, they're forced to come closer to the surface. If you're spearing and there's plenty of fish, you then chum 4-5pieces every 30 seconds. If you chum properly, you'll SEE the fish BEFORE you even get into the water. Try to also throw your chum in a fairly concertated area, which will allow all the peices to drift close together. We roughly use 8 box's of 5kg pilchards per 4-5hour spearing trip for two guys in the water.

Another tactic used when trolling is to raise the one motor higher than the other. This craetes a huge wash and also mimics a baitball. Setting your lures just behind the wash imatates a wounded/unhealthy fish trying to keep up with the school!!!! Easy pickings for a pelagic. That lure will tend to get the most strikes!! I've also used birds, konas, cedar plugs, spoons and daisy chains,they ALL WORK, but isn't neccesary.

What must also be noted is that 99% of the time we find the YF tuna swimming under Longfin tuna (Albacore). The albacore are about 8-20kg's. To take advantage of this, we tend to troll small cd14 rapala's and small yamash-ita squids. No sense in fighting a 60-70kg YF for 1-2hours on 30lb stand-up tackle. We are here to shoot fish, not catch them!!!

Then there are the usual tactics of trolling the current line. We've also found the YF to prefer cooler water. Anything over 20 degrees and you'll battle to get a hook-up.

When you are in the water, and have shot a fish, the others will sound. How-ever, continuous chumming (berly-ing) will raise the school again. If you're lucky, that school will stay with you for the duration of your dive.

Another system i used to use on my tuna boat was a sprayer system. This is a pipe attcahed to the outside of the gunnel. Holes are made in it, about 5cm apart. Water is then sprayed out of this pipe, next to the boat. This induces the tuna to go into a feeding frenzy, right next to your boat. Supposedly mimics the sound of a baitball being pushed on the surface.

Hope this helps!!

Regards
miles
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #47
miles

Iya, some things which might be helpfull in your conditions:

Firstly find out by the local anglers as to where the YF's are as well as how deep. Then go to the area and try and find the fish, either by trolling and then looking for signs on your echo sounder or bird activity or even YF's on the surface.

I normally set my echo sounder to read only 150' deep, even though the water is well over 1000' deep. If i can see fish on the sounder, i'll stop and start a chum trail. Sometimes it takes more than half an hour, but most of the time you're able to raise that school to the surface.

Something else you could try, if there are plenty of fish around, is to run to the area they fisherman have caught fish in, then just start a blind chum trail. Sooner or later the greedy YF's WILL find your chum trail.

You could also use any fish oil in your chum. This creates an oil slick on the surface, which allows you to see INTO the water and see the fish in your chum line much easier. (just like wearing a dive mask!!)

Let me know how it turns out!!!

Regards
miles
Old 05-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #48
IyaDiver
Crazy for Dog Tooth Tuna

Thanks a lot Miles, those are good information.
My water here is usually warm at 27-28 celcius and the cool one is the the thermocline at about 100 feet or deeper. I am talking of the indian ocean side where I hunt. The coolest I have ever been in the water is at 24 celcius when cool water comes from Australia, at the thermocline at 100 feet it goes down to 21 celcius. This can happen about 2 months a year only.

The eastern Indonesia can be cooler because it is closer to Australia and they have been known for all the bigger fishes.

Since we don't have cool water, we also do not have special warm current that fish loves to trail. This I know of my hunting area which is only 5 degrees south of the equator and almost dead center of the country.

When the YF tuna comes ( in my hunting zone ), sportfishermen can nail up to 80kg and that is considered very big for this location. The boat I charter does not have any electronics, used to but now all damaged. Next year I am planing to place my buddy's boat a 34 footer ( I am still doing the boat up ) with all the gadgets in this spot, hopefully the electronics can reveal more of what you explain of the water temperature layers.

Anyhow thanks very much for your info.

IYA
Old 06-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #49
miles

Hiya

21 June 2005

Its been a while since i've been out. Bad weather, but more importantly, i don't have a boat anymore!!! My new boat is simply taking for-ever to get completed!!! :rcard

So, Monday morning i'm up at 4:00am, and off to the harbour to go on a commercial tuna fishing boat. Just before i leave, i double check Buoyweather.com and see that the prediction has changed to a 25knt NW'erly with a 15' swell.......argh!!!! Anycase, we go to the harbour only to be blown away!!!! (thought the weather report MIGHT be wrong!!)

Tuesday morning, BACK at the harbour. ALL the other boats are tied up. Oh well, lets go to sea anyways. We start off and about a hour later the wind gets us. 20knts of SE'erly and a 12'+swell. No problem, as we're on a 30' fibreglass cat.

About 35nm from the harbour, out goes the trollong lures. First hour, only two albacore and a couple of skipjacks. Then my 50w tiagra's rachet screams!!!!!!!!!! YELLOWFIN!!!!!!!!! Boat is stopped, chumming commenced. All the trolling rods are removed, and bait rods are put in. Its basically a Tiagra50w with 100m of 130lb line on top, with 80lb line filling the rest of the reel. Fighting stand-up style with 30lb drag is PLENTY of fun. 10min's later my 50kg fish is IDB. By now, both the other anglers are fighting fish and the school is feeding around the boat. As fast as you can get you line into the water, its FISH ON!!!!

Unfortunately we ran out of ice at about 12:00 so we had to leave!!! By now the wind was HOWLING about 25knts with a 15'+ swell. Made for a LOOOONG trip home!!

We ended to day with well over 20 YF's which would equate to maybe just under a ton of fish.

Unfortunately there wasn't time for photos, but just before we left, i did manage to take some vidoe clips of the sea and the YF's eating the chum just under the surface. Unfortunately the clip is too large to post, so if anybody wants to see it, just drop me a email at isonday@mweb.co.za and i'll mail it.

Regards
miles
Old 06-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #50
element419

Miles, great pics, sooo jealous, as I am land locked in the midwest USA. Can't wait to go back east, diving for stripers. Keep the pics, and stories coming. did i mention how jealous i am. someday... someday...
element419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #51
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

Holly cow Miles, I just love your Chronicles.
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Roberto
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #52
miles

Hiya

Unfortunately, i'm still boatless!!! The boat builder has promised me that i'll be on the water by the 15th of July, but that seems VERY optimistic!!!

The tuna fishing has been very good this past two weeks, but unfortunately, the commercial boat that i go out on, had blown its one motor. Looks like it'll be back on the water by next week-end. So by the end of July, i should be on the water with either my new boat or on my friends 30' cat.

Thought i'd just post all my OLD tuna spearing trips here..............

Regards
miles
Old 07-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #53
miles

03 October 2004
Yellowfin Tunaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Hiya

Spring has finally arrived, only to bring some unseasonal (read crappy !!!!) weather. The week-end looked good for our first juant to the deep. After months of cold water, big seas, small yellowtail kingfish, a good dive was sorely lacking!!!! Re-check the weather on Friday and it looked like a good day on Sunday. Boat was packed, guns double checked, knots re-tied,etc,etc

Sunday morning, after pulling a 36hour shift (agian no sleep!! ) we left for the sea. At the slip, wing was HOWLING 24knots South East!!!! (that wing is affectionately known as THE CAPE DOCTOR!!, and only knows two strengths, no wind or PLENTY wind!!!) Not a good start. Kitted up anyways and had breakfast whilst waiting for the sun to rise so that we could see what the water was like.

Sun rise, wind had dropped to 19 knots and i made the call.....................its off to the deep we go!!!! Crew started to mumble something about their skipper being insane. (i'm used to that!!!!) Anycase, the 40nm trip started off rather bumpily!!! After about 10nm the sea flattened and the wind subsided enough to give a pleasant ride out. At this point, the water was a chilly 13degrees. About 2 hours later we finally find the warm, blue 18degrees water. Plenty of life, bait being chased, birds dive bombing, small albacore (longfin) and skipjack jumping out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!

We run a bit further and i pick up a school of fish on the echo, guys scambling to put their kit on whilst Girlfriend is handling the boat. She immediately throws some chum into the water.

I jump in and start to unwind my bungie from my float. Whilst busy a 90-100kg YF tuna swims around me eating the chum!!!!! Scores of BIG tuna are feeding just a bit lower down!!!!!!! AWESOME sight!!!!

So now i've got the 3x16's my 58" mid handled woodie loaded. Fish are extremely fast and i end up missing that 90-100kg fish!!!!!!!!!!!Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Oh well, at least i saw them!!!! My buddy is using my 63" Mid handled wooden, and also finally manages to load the 4x16's. By now the fish has gone down...................

We drift a little longer and again they rise to the chum!!!!! These brutes are so big that they aren't scared of a diver!! I aim......and let her rip!!!!!!!!! Slip tip deploys and the fish decides to try and bury its head in the sand 400m below us!!!!!!!!!! "FISH ON!!!!!" i screamed to the boat. GF now collects my gun and the fight can start. Fish takes all the bungie (25m) and stretchs it out to about 60-65m, then starts towing me around whilst a hang onto the boogie board!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

10 minutes of this pass, then 20minutes, then a half an hour!!!!! My arms are paining, back is complaning, hands are cramping and still no sight of the fish!!!!!! About 40 minutes later, i see him. Glowing silver, with those two HUGE sickle fins that are shining like gold!!!!!!!!! My buddy now passes me my 115cm Rabitech with omer pelagic reel. I load, dive down and place a second shot through the gills, out by the opposite gill plate. BIG MISTAKE...............fish now dives again and 20 minutes later i've got it next to the boat. Buddy gaffs the fish, whilst other buddy puts another gaff into the tail. I take my knife out........as i brain the fish, i give way, knowing that in its death throes, YF Tuna become very violent. Fish rips off both gaffs and HEAD BUTTS me twice in the face!!!!!! 5 minutes later i've got the fish back in control, still with my OMER flat hunt knife sticking out of its head!!! Two gaffs in again and into the boat she comes!!!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the day is a blurr of non-stop action and adrenaline. Bent spears, both 7mm and 8mm, are the only casualties of the day!!!!!!

Final tally:
Miles 74kg's and 55kg's
Maruis 72kg's
Henni 82Kg's

Not bad for our first Tuna trip for the season!!

Regards
miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spearboard1.JPG
Views:	1624
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	19036   Click image for larger version

Name:	spearboard2.JPG
Views:	1609
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	19038   Click image for larger version

Name:	82kg HENNI.jpg
Views:	1602
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	19039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maruis 72kg again.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	19040  
Old 07-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #54
miles

14 October 2004
Yellowfin Tuna Againnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya,

Once again the weather gods has decided to send stormy seas our ways for the weekend. Checking the weather forecast, a brief lull was shown, sort of calm before the storm!! Soooo, what do we do, we go spearing!!!!

After ANOTHER double shift, my manager arrives 1hour later than planned, so our trip starts off late. None-the-less, we arrive at the slip, only to find the sea enveloped in a THICK mist. We are two boats running out together, one a 25' Fibreglass cat with 2x130hp Honda the other my 21' Semi-Rigid with 2x50hp Yamahas 4strokes. We both launch and make the 10nm trip to the POINT.

Ok, now i take the lead and almost end up driving onto the rocks on the beach, i then decide to follow the bigger boat, only to have him almost ride into a HUGE rock!!!! Ok, so now we've proven to our respective crews that we're totally useless with out navigational equipment, we FINALLY USE our electronics to safely guide us to the POINT.

I some-how managed to lose Tommy and crew in that thick mist and when i got to the point, the mist had cleared and no boats are seen!!! Decided to run out the 30nm or so and get them on the tuna grounds.

As we leave the POINT, we're welcomed by 3 whales that seem to take immense pleasure in breaching, showering all with the spray when they come crashing down!!!! Simaltaneously a school of spinner dolphins were smashing bait fish on the surface, with the usual entourage of seal, terns and various other sea bird!!! What a start!!!

One and a half hours later, we're on the tuna grounds and Tommy catch's up with us. We find two boats fighting YF and run slightly away from them, using the echo, find some fish and start chumming them. I slip into the clean blue water, only to see plenty of small YF in the 30-40kg class. (more about this SMALL YF's later!!!). I aim, and MISS......................noooooooooooo. Load up, yes they're still around, aim, MISS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

The sad part is that this happened on about 8 shots, (this is with my 63" and my 57" and my 1.3m Rabitech Apex!!!!!) so feeling like a complete idiot i finally get onto the boat. Henni also gets in and is also complaining about missing the fish. Even Attie Louwrens, also a nationally selected spearo, complained about not being able to hit the fish!!!

Anycase, i FINALLY manage to feed a smallish looking tuna a chunk of 8mm steel. The boat comes over and asks if i want a second gun. I decline and tell them its a small fish and i'd have it in the boat in five minutes!!! 30minutes later, i BEG for a second gun!!!! One hour has passed, the fish now has two spears in it and still no sign of the end is near!!!! I load a third gun, and just about manage to get a lovely kill shot!!!!! Finally she is IDB!!!!!

The SMALL fish turns out to be a 71Kg !!!!! Lesson learnt, those big fish LOOK small in that clean water. Especially when they're far from you!!!!

Tommy them did quite well, with each diver taking a fish and Tommy taking 3!!!!! Well done!!!!!!!!

Regards
miles

Picture1 - me with 71kg fish
Pic2 - catch of the day
Pic3 - Tommy Botha and friends
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sb1.JPG
Views:	1956
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	19041   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb2.JPG
Views:	1585
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	19042   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb3.JPG
Views:	1926
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	19043  
Old 07-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #55
Silent Hunter
Spearfishing Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Silent Hunter Send a message via MSN to Silent Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to Silent Hunter

Nice haul!! Those Tunas are huge!!

Silent Hunter
Silent Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #56
miles

06 November 2004
YF Tuna, Cape Town, South Africa......fun with Tommy Botha's wooden guns!!!
Hiya

Well, after being blown off the sea last week, and due to work constraints (must be able to pay for all that spearing gear!!!), the weather gods smiled upon us again!!!!!

We took a bit of a hiding on the first 10nm part of the trip. VERY bumpy sea. Managed to break the stainless roll/ski bar on the back of the boat. Then the one motor refused to run. Managed to track the fault down to the fuel tanks breather not being open!!!!! (crew member is to blame) Then find petrol on the deck of the boat. Same crew member didn't connect the fuel lines properly after filling up fuel. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

None-the-less, the crew of intrepid tuna hunters set forth, overcoming all the obstacles that wanted to twart their trip!!!! My girlfriend unfortunately had to work so i asked another spearo buddy to join us. He took a two hour flight, straight after his work, had no sleep, to go tuna spearing!!! NOW thats DEDICATION!!!!!

Out on the tuna grounds, the sea improved (as Bouyweather.com predicted) and the wind subsided, making it a stunning day. Myself and Tommy Botha jumped in first and about one and a half minutes later i see Tommy's float cartwheeling!!!!! 15minutes later theres a 60kg fish on board.

A little later, Tommy speared a BIG fish. I threw his kill gun to him, and 10 minutes later the fish was still swimming strong. I then passed another kill gun to him, which he uses to shoot the fish through the head. 5minutes later, fish is still swimming strong!!!!!!! He then grabs the spear on both sides and swims the tuna up. All HELL breaks loose and that tuna dragged and jumped and was beating the water to a froth, all with Tommy holding on!!!! WHAT A RIDE!!!!!! Probably rode that tuna for about 4-5 minutes. Noboby could get close as this fish was swimming in great big circles with Tommy keeping his head out of the water, so as to prevent him from swimming down.

After that, we all took a fish, with my buddy landing his first YF. I then also lost another one when the boat drove over my shooting line. Lost 2 spears too!!! Expensive day!! Also learnt that 10mm spears (3/8" ) also bends!!!! Not even gonna say much about the bent 7 and 8mm spears!!!

After about 4 hours on the tuna grounds we had to leave as there was no more place on the boat!!!!!!!! Looks like i'm gonna need a bigger boat soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Final tally:
Nikko 55kg's (estimated)
Miles 55 kg's (estimated)
Henni 55kg's (estimated)
Tommy 65kg's (estimated)
Tommy 85 kg's - weighed
Tommy 92kg's - weighed

Regards
miles

Pic1 - Tommy Botha with 92kg YF
Pic2 - Tommy Botha and Nico with 85kg YF in the water
Pic3 - at the gantry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sb3.JPG
Views:	1904
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	19044   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb4.JPG
Views:	1910
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	19045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy Botha 92kg on scale.JPG
Views:	1587
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	19046  
Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #57
miles

The reason i need a bigger boat!!!!

Pic1 - front of my semi rigid
Pic2 - the rear of my rib
Pic3 - the middle of my rib
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sb5.JPG
Views:	1563
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	19047   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb6.JPG
Views:	1559
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	19048   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb7.JPG
Views:	1552
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	19049  
Old 07-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #58
miles

20 March 2005
YF Tuna and Murphy's Law!!

Hiya

After a much anticipated wait, reports of fisherman catching small tuna finally arrived. Packed all the kit and went in search of them on Thursday. Went to our usual co-ordinates, but no fish were to be found. We saw a couple of 30-40kg fish jumping out of the water, but alas, we only saw one longfin(albacore) in the water. We ended the day with 8 YF ranging from 10-30kg's and 10 skipjack(Bonnito), all caught on rod and reel. There was fish around, but the schools were very very small and scattered over a large area.

So when the week-end arrived, we didn't have very high hopes. We were invited out by a good friend on his 25' Cat. Well, at least we'll catch a couple of fish. So i packed only my 1500 Carbon RA and a small 57" Mid handled woodie. Tommy also just brought a small 52" two banded woodie (for Albacore) and his 63" woodie. And of course all the fishing tackle. We were planning it to be a fishing trip more for my wife and Tommy's son.

With-in the first hour trolling, we had boated about 6 Albacore and the wife had landed a 40kg YF tuna on 30lb Stand-up tackle!!! Great start!!! So off we go to our "spot". Tommy kiited up, only to realise that he'd left his weight belt at home!! By the time i jumped in, Tommy had already shot and landed two Albacore tuna.

I battled tracking the fish with my 1500 Carbon RA. Those Albacores are extremely quick and don't have a regular swimming pattern, so shooting them is not quite so easy, especially with a LONG gun!!

Anycase, i then start seeing YF's!!!! He glides into the chum slick and...............BANG!!!!!!.........fish on!!!!!!!!! 20 minutes later he's in the boat!!! The first YF Tuna of the season!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! He wasn't a very big fish, weighing in at just over 100lbs (50kg's), but completely destroyed that 7.5mm RA spear.

We ended the day with about 20 Albacore between 8-15kg's, one Skipjack and 3 YF's. The two caught weighing 40 and 45kg's. We only speared the one YF and a couple of albacore tuna's.

Can't wait for the bigger fish to put in an appearance!!

Regards
miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sb8.JPG
Views:	2135
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	19050   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb9.JPG
Views:	1548
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	19051   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA 1500 Bent spear - small.JPG
Views:	1918
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	19052  
Old 07-04-2005, 02:58 AM   #59
KeiNine
Registered Sea Sniper

Send a message via AIM to KeiNine

Your reports are incredible! I can only wish that I could call a 100# YFT not very big.
KeiNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #60
lmk_tampa
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to lmk_tampa

Miles,

I'm soooooooooo f'n jealous. I would love to spear one of those. I would be content with a 50kg. Great going brew.
lmk_tampa is offline   Reply With Quote