Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Photos > Spearfishing Photos

Spearfishing Photos Use this area as your "Brag Board," posting photos of your haul.

Old 02-13-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Slay Ride

Talking SC- Newbie to SP.com add pics

Wanted to say thank to you guys for all the outstanding information. I'm a Charleston South Carolina Diver. Not a huge gathering of steel slinger here, so I'm greatful for all the info. Am planning a couple of trips to FL and even hoping to enter the SP tourney. Enjoy the pics. Anone know what this grouper is?? Big debate in SC- Les@charlestondiving.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknowngrouper.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	795  
Slay Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Slay Ride

Here's another picture. Gotta love the South. January 5!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jan5great.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	796  
Old 02-13-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
junior

It's a little hard to see much of the coloration, but it looks like a black grouper to me. What time of year did you shoot it? Water temp? Depth?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

It's a pinfish. Capt. Jay told me so!!
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

Send a message via AIM to fernandezh Send a message via Yahoo to fernandezh
Former resident of charleston

I went to school in Charleston, at the Citadel. I really miss it, is that little Irish dude still singing at Tommy Condon's? Have you ever gone looking for those large megladon sharks teeth up there?

Hector Fernandez
fernandezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
Steel Shootin'

Welcome aboard!

My vote would be that it is a black grouper.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Charleston was fun. I lived there for six months when I managed the Cracker Barrel. That was when the first female cadet was accepted at the Citadel. She used to come in the Barrel on weekends with her folks. We actually had a customer complain that they thought there was a guy in the women's restroom when indeed it was her.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
subdude

Notice the tail ...

is convex like a jewfish <), not concave <( like other groupers.

Weird, it sure doesn't look like anything I have seen up here.

Gotta be a pinfish

subdude
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:55 PM   #9
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

I went to the Citadel before they lowered their standards and let women in. They lowered the physical fitness requirements specifically to allow women in. I don't agree with this. The enemy won't take special consideration to women because they are slower on the battlefield.
I was all for women entering the Citadel, if and only if they could meet the same requirements as the male cadets. Besides, I also feel they needed to have women there to increase the chances of cadets getting laid. The military exists to defend democracy and affirmative action, not practice it. Megalodon Man, I'll look you up if I ever head back to my Alma mater.

Hector F.

P.S. Looks like a big Black Grouper to me, but it is hard to tell from the pic.

Last edited by fernandezh; 02-13-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Slay Ride

My vote was black grouper at first as well. I really have a hard time beleiving it's a pinfish, but I'll mark that down as your vote richhermes. I buddy of mine who works on a headboat swore it was not a black. I shot it offshore 32 nm in 80 ft during the summer. Water temp was probably 80+ at the surface 75 on the bottom. It has a white spot underneath the pec fins that I cannot find any mention of in a book. Thanks for the input. Les
Old 02-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #11
Charlestondivin

Welcome to the board Les. This place is great isn't it!

Here is another pic of that grouper for id. It didn't have the white spots on it when he brought it up. One thing he failed to mention is that was the first fish he ever pulled the trigger on. Talk about luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spearfishing 7-22-02 2.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	797  
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:44 PM   #12
snook295

Send a message via AIM to snook295
Definately an Epinephelus

Thats the Jewfish family. My guess would be either a Snowy or a Warsaw. I believe that Snowies are more of a deep water grouper so I would lean towards the Warsaw. It could be an easy ID if you remember the dorsal fin. Warsaws have ten spines unlike any other grouper in that family. Also, the second spine is much longer than the rest. I'm no expert but that's my two cents. Nice shootin!

Brock
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	warsawgrouper.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	798  
snook295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #13
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

So Hector,

Was the movie "Lords of Discipline" in any way accurate??

The book was much better, BTW
Old 02-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #14
fernandezh
Homicidal Brown Monkey

About the physical abuse that went on in the school, it was true. At least when I went there.

Here's a true story. My junior year, I was involved in a fight with a drunk cadet who I caught beating on a freshman cadet. The drunk cadet (who was an african american, this is relevant later in the story) mouthed off a little too much. The guy threw the first punch at me and missed. My 1st and only punch broke his sternum and he was in the hospital for a couple of days. To get himself out of trouble for fighting, the guy said that I hit him because he was black and he demanded that I be kicked out of the school for racism. His race had nothing to do with me kicking his ass. Well, I ended up being suspended for a semester (I came back senior year and graduated). My friends were going to get some revenge on this situation because he got me suspended.
In the middle of the night my friends put on some masks, went to this guy's room, beat him to an inch of his life, hog tied him, sneaked him out of the barracks, put him in the trunk of his car and drove out to some a swamp a good ways away. They got him out, bare assed naked, and told him that if they ever saw him on at The Citadel again they would kill him. If he ever said anything about what happened that evening, they would kill him. They left him there out in the middle of the swamp. A few days later, this guy's mother called the school saying that her son (originally from Charleston) came home one morning, teeth knocked out, bloody and butt naked and she wanted to know what happened to her son. The commandant of the school restricted the whole company (100 cadets) to campus until somebody came forward with who was involved in beating this guy. For the rest of the school year, the company stayed quiet and restricted to campus. Nobody said a word.

I don't know why I stayed there for as long as I did, maybe I wasn't smart enough to quit. Here is a list of things about the Citadel that makes me sometimes wish I went to a civilian school:

1. No women. Hence no Pootie Tang for 4 years.
2. Lived in barracks when I could have been partying in a dorm.
3. I could have gone to a civilian school, gone to ROTC and still ended up as an officer in the Army.
4. I spent most of my weekends in the field doing maneuvers, when I should have been waking up complaining that there was another strainge bitch's tit in my hand.
5. Now that I am in the Army I still have to put up with some of the same assholes I had to put up with at the Citadel.

Rich,
This is what you get for asking me a question.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pt.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	799  
Old 02-13-2003, 04:38 PM   #15
slippery chicken

not sure about the grouper, but looks like a nice cat boat in the back ground, cant go wrong with that. rick
slippery chicken is offline   Reply With Quote