Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
florfreediver

Open Muzzle - Line Wrap Question

Hi All,
Last week, I took my 14 yr old Grandson and his mate out spearing.

The friend had an open muzzle Euro gun and I noticed that the shaft was tending to drift away from the muzzle especially when it was unloaded.

The youngster but did not know at all how to wrap the line around the muzzle, so as to hold the shaft down in the track.

I asked him had he not been shown by anyone and he said he had bought the gun on line and there was no such instruction about how to wrap the line.

Got me wondering about how many other new spearo's there were, and if any accidents had occurred because of not securing the shaft down.

I tried doing a search but did not find anything in regard to this.

I assume that all open muzzle gun users, even those with magnets embedded in the muzzle, use the shooting line to secure the shaft?

Thanks,
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: Open Muzzle - Line Wrap Question

Hey Mike:

Great to hear you are passing on the spearing tradition!

Perhaps this video would be helpful to new divers. We have a pretty large section of our website dedicated to "How To" info.

Thanks
dano

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
florfreediver

Thanks Dano,

That video is helpful and hopefully someone learns from it.
It sounds like it is not a common problem (ie no line wrap over the muzzle), thank goodness.

Hell knows what damage could be caused if the gun is not handled properly without the line wrap on the muzzle.
Least of all would be a lot of trauma to the trigger mechanism. Not sure what angle you can move the shaft away for the muzzle before the trigger would malfunction?

Regards and go well.
Mike.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:08 AM   #4
Mikel_24

Dano, thanks a lot for the video. Will surely come handy for people who don't know hot do do it. Not so sure about the safety feature though. My first spearguns where Sporasubs Aspic/Viper which are a close cousin of the Predator and I often removed the safety altogether. If you got some sand inside, sometimes they become so stuck they were impossible to turn. And if by mistake you pressed the trigger with the safety engaged, there was no way to disengage the safety and make the shot with the bands loaded. I missed the oportunity to shot a few nice fish due to this problem.

For me, the safety is in the trigger finger. Just keep it away from the trigger.

Mike, be aware that there are several open muzzle designs out there. Some are more intuitive than others. MAKO's seem to be well thought as they have decen sized wings and are correctly angled AND polished.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

Mike, be aware that there are several open muzzle designs out there.

Mikel
Thanks Mikel,
Very aware of the many open muzzle designs. Ran a freedive shop for some years and came across various open muzzle designs.

For instance, I distinctly remember fitting small cable muzzle loops on the front of popular USA open muzzle wooden guns because the gun owners wanted to freeshaft and hence would not have the line holding the shaft down. A simple fix.

I do not think the safety comes into this discussion though.

Example, imagine swimming just off the bottom, open muzzle gun extended at arms length with no line wrap on the muzzle. For some reason you allow the muzzle to fall (eg pushing off the bottom to go up), the spear rubs against the bottom and moves away from the muzzle. The angular force on the trigger mechanism must be quite significant and at some point something will give if the shaft moves too far away at the muzzle end.

My thread was just in wondering if anyone knew of this ever happening to anyone?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post
Thanks Mikel,
...Example, imagine swimming just off the bottom, open muzzle gun extended at arms length with no line wrap on the muzzle. For some reason you allow the muzzle to fall (eg pushing off the bottom to go up), the spear rubs against the bottom and moves away from the muzzle. The angular force on the trigger mechanism must be quite significant and at some point something will give if the shaft moves too far away at the muzzle end.

My thread was just in wondering if anyone knew of this ever happening to anyone?

Thanks,
Mike
I see what you are talking about and I will be concerned about the leverage on the internals of the mech. And yes, if the roof of the mech deforms enough, it might let go. The thing is that for the mech to let go, the spear would be forced in such an awkard angle that even if it releases, it will not fly straight any significant distance. It will probably spin on itself. Not funny to be arround, but not as dangerous as being properly shot.

It would be a fun test to do (destructive, of course) of pulling on a shaft with a load similar to a two banded gun and start changing the angle of the shaft VS the mech from 0 (perfectly aligned) to whatever it takes to let go. Some mechs might deform the roof/sides... others might pop out the pins holding the mech casing square... others might be strong enough to windstand the forces and rip whole from the gun (screwed from the top ala Meandros LS, pinned mechs... not so much). Plastic mechs are totally out of the question, pretty sure they will just crack.

The shaft diameter and hardness might also affect the results. A nimble 6mm notched shaft is nothing compared to a 7,5 or 8mm shark fin shaft. The first one might just bend or snap at the notches.

Anyway, proper line wrapping and NOT PUSHING YOURSELF UP from the bottom with the gun... should avoid this concern.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote