Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #24
JJohansen

Re: Double Roller Trigger for Pathos handle, Ermes Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Don't give up on it, maybe it is some little thing. It is possible that it is just not put together properly as there have been some poorly assembled triggers a while back. Functionally the D1 trigger should work the same as a full DR trigger, except for a shorter line release. Of course I would much rather have a full DR trigger and the latest generation triggers coming out are a huge improvement over even the very good 2n generation triggers. But the mod to a full DR trigger on a D1 is quite a lot of work and really the D1 is 95% as good functionally. If you can take pictures and send me a detailed description of the problem I am pretty sure I can get it working as good as a full DR trigger. Worth a try before heading the full DR trigger mod route.

On another note, for anyone who got a D2 handle DR trigger, I have finally figured out the problems. That trigger I definitely don't recommend as the tolerances required are way too high for the manufacturing system used. During lockdown I figured out the problem ... one side of the box has a pin hole that is slightly lower than the second opposing side and with a milling machine it is possible to fix by just making a hole on the other side a little higher and a little larger. That way the pin sits horizontal and the shaft sear drops center instead of hitting the walls. Of course you would also need to make a slightly larger pin to accommodate the larger diameter. I know that some people did end up getting that trigger ... if you did and are having problems with it I can probably help you fix it.
Thanks Majid,

I have the larger DR trigger on my big gun, very heavy load, and it performs perfectly. I pulled both triggers and compared them visually the best I could. The overall geometry of the moving parts looks very very similar, and I can't work out exactly why the d1 drop in trigger has such poor performance. The rear roller that engages the spear on the D1 trigger has a small washer on one side- perhaps the roller was not wide enough to fit the housing and this was a quick fix? My larger DR mechanism does not have this washer.

I also am suspicious of the pin used to index the rear roller in the vertical slot of the mechanism housing. It's a rolled bit of steel, rather than a solid pin. To my eye, it seems as if this pin acts as an axle which the rear roller rotates around. I would think that a solid, round pin would functionally work better than a softer out of round rolled pin. However, my full DR from my larger gun has the same pin and works fine.

Compared to the larger DR trigger, and every other trigger I've shot, the pull on the D1 trigger is quite heavy. I'm shooting two 14mm bands at 365% and it feels way overloaded
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote