Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #151
vstante

Re: Pathos 120 Carbon testing

The handle is ready for some epoxy...

vstante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #152
spearq8

With the lightweight epoxy putty I use only 50 gr and it is more than enough for a handle. With the heavier stuff you need about 100 gr. The lightweight stuff actually floats it doesn't add any weight.

Weight is not a problem if it is on the handle and it will not hurt gun ballasting. So I wouldn't sweat the extra weight added with the handle mod. Of course if you like a gun that is positive with a shaft on then the 3x extra cost of the lightweight Japanese import epoxy putty might be worth it.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #153
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstante View Post
The handle is ready for some epoxy...

I like it. Did you stipple it with a soldering iron? (Or is this the epoxy putty?)
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #154
vstante

Diving Gecko,
no, thats how I bought the handle with the gun. Its a replica of d Angelo handle, since the gun is a Roisub gun and not Pathos. I skimmed the handle with a light and small iron-saw and sandpaper. Will cover it with the epoxy over the weekend.

Spearq8,
thanks. Well, in my case, there is no need for xtra buoyancy, so I will try the normal Epoxy putty. But just in case, I bought an extra tube of epoxy, so I can notveun out of it in a middle of the process.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #155
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I guess it is true that a bit of increased weight at the handle end doesn't matter much. I can think of one exception though. For me personally, I would hate it if it got to a point where the gun would start pointing muzzle up when left alone. Once in a while, I do let go of my loaded gun and I don't think I would feel confident doing that if it turned around and started pointing at me
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #156
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Thank you for all your information and videos spearq8. I have converted 2 of my everyday railguns to pathos and could not be happier with your upgrade recommendations.
Azure Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #157
vstante

So, here it is...ugly as fu.., but it fits my hand very well. I needed app. 130gr of epoxy putty. The thing hardened so fast, I really didnt have much time.

The plan was to cover the handle tomorrow with the 2K epoxy adhesive and the quick seal.

But some edges look pretty thin. Maybe I should also wrap it with the CF fabric? Majd8, what thickness of CF fabric did You use?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #158
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Recluse View Post
Thank you for all your information and videos spearq8. I have converted 2 of my everyday railguns to pathos and could not be happier with your upgrade recommendations.
Happy to hear it has helped!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #159
spearq8

Yeah some of that epoxy putty really hardens quick. The ones I use give you a good 20 or 30 minutes of work time ... plenty of time to fine tune things. You can still sand things until you are happy with the results. The putty sands nicely.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #160
vstante

Yeah, mine was hard after 5-10 min. (thats what she says)...Well, I was working in sitting position with a level meter on my speargun, so I could work on the ¨Memory locking aim¨ from the beginning. As I use to spear also over the winter and autumn, I am using different glove thicknes. I was shaping my handle with the summer dyneema glove. But it would be better to use a thicker glove. Now, the handle is suited for a thin glove, but when using 3mm glove, that comortable feeling is gone. I cant use that handle with a 5mm glove, but thats no big deal, since a 3mm is enough also in winter.

Today, i sanded the putty with the sandpaper and than cover it with the epoxy adhesive. Tomorrow, Ill add the marine sealant.

Last edited by vstante; 06-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #161
vstante

So, the handle is finished, tnx Majd and forum for helping and creating all the cool YT videos!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_9G...ature=youtu.be