Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #121
jstiver09

Re: rollerguns- look good on paper only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool View Post
I think roller guns are good for the MED where the fish are far and few and skittish and you need that long range. You don't need 20FT range to shoot dumb hogfish, snappers, groupers and pelagics in FL. Same as Hawaii. Can't speak for Cali or the northeast as I never dove there. I don't have a problem shooting reef fish/pelagics with a regular band gun. My favorite set up is my 140 Rob Allen with a single 20mm band in the old RA close muzzle. I can shoot any fish with that gun. Rollers to mean seam more of troublesome than it should be. Spearfishing should be simple and in my humble opinion I think a band gun is simple and easy to deal with.
One may argue that loading one band on a shorter gun is simpler than 2 or 3 on a longer one...
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #122
jstiver09

Re: rollerguns- look good on paper only?

...and an 8.75mm 130cm shaft is pretty resilient when compared to a longer thinner one...especially in FL shooting grouper near rocks
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote