Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
ReefArcher
Adrian

Advice on first pneumatic

I was thinking about getting a small pneumatic gun as both a back up when in saltwater (2nd shot for whatever reason, maybe low viz.) and lake fishing. I don't need it to shoot much farther than 5-6 feet but would like it to hit hard at that distance. I'm pretty set on a 50cm Omer Tempest but would like to hear more experienced spearos' opinions. Is 50cm a good length for that distance or should I go for a 70cm? I'd also like to hear opinions on the tempest vs the Mares Cyrano, is it worth the extra $100?
ReefArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Advice on first pneumatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefArcher View Post
I was thinking about getting a small pneumatic gun as both a back up when in saltwater (2nd shot for whatever reason, maybe low viz.) and lake fishing. I don't need it to shoot much farther than 5-6 feet but would like it to hit hard at that distance. I'm pretty set on a 50cm Omer Tempest but would like to hear more experienced spearos' opinions. Is 50cm a good length for that distance or should I go for a 70cm? I'd also like to hear opinions on the tempest vs the Mares Cyrano, is it worth the extra $100?
The rear handle pneumatic guns are all similar in internal construction, so are of a very similar performance. The guns of around 60 cm in length are OK for what you want, such as the Mares "Shortie" or "Ministen" (same gun, length 58 cm). The very short guns (e.g. 30, 40 cm) generally don't float after the shot, unless they have buoyancy chambers built into their handles which most don't have these days, so the slightly longer models are preferable. A 70 cm gun is really too long as a "back-up", but it depends on how and where you will be carrying it. The shortest "Cyrano" 55 cm does not float, but the 70 cm does. Buy something that has spares available (e.g. spears and tips, spare hand loader) just in case you need them. If you buy an "orphan" then you can be stymied by the lack of readily available parts.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
frankt
apneist

70 cm cyrano mares is the gun my buddy has he uses it and loves it its pumped up so he can shoot fish with penetration power at 14 ft. but it also has a power selector for high and low he shoots fish on the low setting at 4-6 foot range and it dosent seem to powerfull on low but on high it pulls shockline tight at 15 ft.
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
ReefArcher
Adrian

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. As a back up I meant if I shot a large fish in salt water and for some reason it kept thrashing and I wasn't able to knife it I could shoot it at a reasonable range to finish it off. I would attach it to my float using something like the Mako gun straps.

The main use I plan for it would be freshwater, using it on tilapia, armored catfish, carp, etc.

I don't think I need all the power of the Cyrano but if parts are more easily available, more durable, and can justify the extra cash then I wouldn't mind having the option to unleash all that power on a gar or some large buffalo.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I'm not sure were others get their parts from, bit I get mine at spearfishingworld.com. After looking, it appears they have all parts for both guns in stock. The decision is yours, Ive never used or know of someone using the Omer so I couldn't give you a legitimate reason why not to get one. But t the end of the day I'd go with the mares....
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
frankt
apneist

yeah mares makes one small enough that it comes in a thigh strap holster check them out on amazon .com nit to pricy either considering the quality
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
ReefArcher
Adrian

Thanks for all the input guys, I think I will go with the Cyrano 700.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
ninjagazz

Avoid the new tempest it is now made in china and sub standard.

I got a hold of a Mares Jet 70 recently it was a good gun and cheap. Go Mares.
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
ReefArcher
Adrian

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely stay away from the Tempest now.