Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-04-2021, 03:56 AM   #1
spearq8

Flopper Tuning Tool!

I have been using a flopper tuning tool that has really dramatically reduced to almost zero the number of fish that are hit but not landed. Basically it just gives you a precise way to tune your flopper exactly how you want it. I recommend everyone who spearfishes and has lost fish due to fish escaping the flopper to give it a try!

https://youtu.be/dz_QhcKSDtk

Last edited by spearq8; 05-04-2021 at 10:02 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
musubi

Re: Flopper Tuning Tool!

I saw your video shortly after you posted. Very cool tool!
Having a proper tuned flopper is one of my peeves. I've seen a lot of my friends' fish lost with floppers closing or not opening properly and it sucks seeing an injured fish swim away.

Was this a tool you designed?
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

I am pretty sure it is a tool he designed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	246936  

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I am pretty sure it is a tool he designed:
Ah, good catch. Thanks
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:10 AM   #5
spearq8

Yes of course I made this or I wouldn't be sharing it. The idea of tuning the flopper is nothing new but there simply was no good crimper or tool to do it easily on a rocking boat. You could always hammer the back side of the flopper, but that way you could easily damage the pin and also if you over do it even a tiny bit your flopper is locked in initial position ... both of which are very difficult to fix.

Here you have a very guided specific area to crimp, so you can't do any damage. Also you have flexibility of choosing how open your flopper is at rest. I made a bunch of these and gave out to friends and everyone loved them so I decided to put it out there as others might find it useful.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
kodama

Seems like a great little tool to have. I especially like the fact you are giving away the design and print files for free.
Does it work well on shafts that have are recessed to streamline the flopper?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #7
spearq8

Yes of course it works on any flopper. The thin floppers are a little harder to do but it just takes a little harder tap. If you look at the video I had a Sigalsub flopper with recess there in the picture. On the smaller shafts I like to have the flopper more closed at start as sometimes the flopper can startle little fish when you stick your gun under a ledge etc... I did make a specific tool for only up to 7mm shafts with no cone, but to be honest I did not want to have two different tools and confuse people. The one I posted can do any shaft up to 10mm shafts ... cone included. For smaller shafts if you are having problems keeping the flopper flush on the shaft, just use a little strip of tape. The tape trick makes the smaller tool I made unnecessary.

Tuning floppers is nothing new, but it really needs some learned skills to avoid damaging your flopper (something which is very very easy to do). I must have about 10 shafts at home with ruined floppers due to over tuning that I still haven't fixed. With this tool you have a directed blow which goes exactly where you need it and avoid damaging anything. It also gives you the flexibility to choose whether you have a high or low flopper and how hard a lock you want.
This is especially useful on a rocking boat. I am always the designated flopper tuner on a boat and can do everyone's flopper in less than a minute. With time, floppers can lose their tuning or Hard Lock ... bringing it back to a Hard Lock just takes seconds.

Every spearo should have this. It really dramatically reduces the number of fish that will slip out of your flopper to almost zero. Nothing worse than having a decent fish on your shaft only to see it go wasted.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:07 AM   #8
Mikel_24

Cool idea. I have been using a nail pulling plier to do the same thing. I feel I have more control over how much I deform the flopper edge with a criming tool than whacking it (although I have done it before).

Not a bad idea to have a few spare floppers and pins handy just in case you screw up!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
Red Tide

Thanks for sharing. I like it!!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #10
memosub

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I have been using a flopper tuning tool that has really dramatically reduced to almost zero the number of fish that are hit but not landed. Basically it just gives you a precise way to tune your flopper exactly how you want it. I recommend everyone who spearfishes and has lost fish due to fish escaping the flopper to give it a try!

https://youtu.be/dz_QhcKSDtk
Great idea, i will do it today on steel on mill, Thanks!!
memosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #11
svivian

Majd are these still available to purchase?
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:29 AM   #12
spearq8

I put it as public and anyone can 3d print it for free. Of course there will be the cost of the 3d pinting itself which has to be paid to Sculpteo. That price will depend on which printing material you decide on. Personally I would recommend the cheapest metal 3d printing. I know some people who printed in plastic and said it works fine.

A lot of people have been using this and ever single person who has it says it works amazingly well. So I definetly think every spearo who use flopper shafts should have this.