Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
Pankrationist

Prop verses a roller gun

A mate of mine, Adam Cvetkovski made a sweet double roller for a customer. Unfortunately this gun was run over by a boat. Adam has moved and is currently unable to build spearguns for a little while (once a large project is complete he may be joining us again building guns).

So I was asked to rebuild this gun ASAP and only had Rosewood blanks in the correct size in stock. Glenn was happy with that. Here is how I got him back into the water. Most of the hardware was reused. The owner wanted a handle with a built in safety and I had one in stock.

Pankrationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Prop verses a roller gun

Better the gun than a propeller haircut!
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
Pankrationist

True that Pete. The Eucalypt the original gun was made from is a very tough timber. To snap it like that is terrify when compare the frail human body.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I had to rescue a guy that got his leg chewed up in a prop. It wasn't pretty. Nothing looked normal between his little toe all the way up to an inch below his nuts...twisted mess of flesh and bone. It's amazing how much HP is delivered to a prop. The guy eventually died after several weeks in a coma...loss of blood being the primary factor even though I used a fish stringer with the metal circle on the end to tighten up and use as a tourniquet around his upper thigh within ~10 minutes after it happened. I was fishing in another boat not far away on the flats. It doesn't take long to bleed out when those main arteries are cut on the upper inside thigh.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #5
Pankrationist

Heavy experience Marcus. People often ask if sharks are my main concern. Mine is boat strikes. I have had commercial fishos run over my float line ripping my gun out of my hand. I was less than 40m from my boat with a large dive flag flying.

I asked (possibly with a very annoyed tone, if he was blind and he told to to $%^& myself. I had my Gopro filming him and supplied it to the authorities.

But it could have easily been been me run over.