Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
sharpshooter

MG 9-26-18 Genes Big Hog

Well, three Wednesday trips in a row. This time, we ran out a little slower in the bumpy seas. It calmed down as predicated thru the day. We came cruising back at 42 mph. Gene and i dove a reef that the last two times had produced some nice fish. My primary mission was to mark the "sweet spot' with my mini jug marker. The "sweet spot" had been hard to locate with the sonar and underwater. I took a stab at where it might be and the main jug was tossed. Gene and I jumped in. I realized, I had forgotten the mini-marker. Gene continued on. With my luck. I'd find it after awhile and no mini jug to deploy. Didn't feel like swimming around in the full moon current with the main jug weight slowing me down. So, I had the boat come and give me the mini-marker. Well, as Murphys Law would have it. My lucky guess had the main jug weight about 25' from the sweet spot. No need to deploy the mini jug. I did move the main jug weight to the center of the sweet spot before heading up. Now, as to Genes big hog. That's his story to tell later today with a few pics.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 09-28-2018 at 08:05 AM.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
CatDiver

Re: MG 9-26-18 Genes Big Hog

Boy you're getting out to the MG a lot lately. Looking forward to the story and pics.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Last Wed's take
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3764.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	239933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	239934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4266.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	239935  
"The first time a man goes into battle - making eye contact with someone trying to kill him - is strangely like the first time a man makes love to a woman. The anticipation is overpowering; the ignorance is obstructive; the fear of disgrace is consuming; and survival is triumphant." Ben Bradlee
johnnydinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Dropped down into Jose's "sweet spot" that I had been hearing about for weeks, was exactly as he described shoot a hog as I descend to the low side, get him strung and look over my shoulder to see the high side, swim up the rise and see this male brown snouter looking down on me. I do all I can to get him to turn but he refuses, have my gun pointed right at him and he still won't turn Then the goober flares his gills and makes a motion towards me; my impatience and ego causes me to shoot him face to face, BAD rookie mistake...... of course he swims off the end of the shaft Low and behold, Jose is descending upon me at this point and CLINK!!! Saves my fish!!! Just like the old days on the Holy Spearit when we would work a ledge together It's always a good time when you're diving the grounds with your buddies!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_2_1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	239936  
"The first time a man goes into battle - making eye contact with someone trying to kill him - is strangely like the first time a man makes love to a woman. The anticipation is overpowering; the ignorance is obstructive; the fear of disgrace is consuming; and survival is triumphant." Ben Bradlee
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
dkay

Stud hog!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Eibwen

Nice hog! Did you measure it? Curious about the length. I made my personal best on Wed as well but definitely nowhere near that snogster
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

No, sorry, didn't tape him. He scaled out at 13.5#
Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
sharpshooter

Gene, thanks for posting the pics. Your hog came blasting around that big rock hauling butt. He was surprised to see me on the other side. He slowed down for just a second. Long enough for a shaft. Like you mentioned. Teamwork, instead of just the "me attitude" is always more productive. Felt like ole times. I have some nice Gopro video of the sweet spot. Just need to get with somebody that has editing software. Looking at getting my own video software very soon.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
Dbrown

Great fish! Great story!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote