Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
sharpshooter

9-19-18 slick calm day

Wednesday, is the day for a offshore trip with winds less than 5 knots. Going to give it a shot out of JP. Before, the winds and seas pick up for the weekend.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: 9-19-18 slick calm day

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about it.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Wednesday, is the day for a offshore trip with winds less than 5 knots. Going to give it a shot out of JP. Before, the winds and seas pick up for the weekend.
Go get em Jose!!!
"The first time a man goes into battle - making eye contact with someone trying to kill him - is strangely like the first time a man makes love to a woman. The anticipation is overpowering; the ignorance is obstructive; the fear of disgrace is consuming; and survival is triumphant." Ben Bradlee
johnnydinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
sharpshooter

Met at 4 am. and returned near 9 pm.. Long day. We went to the far end of the MG approx. 114 miles out from JP in around 85'. There was a boat fishing less than 1/2 mile from the first dive spot upon our arrival . Only, boat we saw all day. You go 114 miles with nothing in sight. Only, to find one boat close by the dive spot. What are the odds on that? Water all day was like a pond. Perfect weather. Blue water and could see bottom from 35' down in the 80'-90' bottom range. Horz. vis. was around 70' or better. My dive buddy, Rick dove in shorts and long sleeve rash guard. Slight thermal near the bottom. Rick said, it felt good. Me, I hunted at the thermal edge in a 3/2 mil..The sonar was tuned in great on this trip. Not all bait show dives had big fish hanging around. We got AJ's, mangoes,hogs,gags. A real nice firetruck red grouper that spit out a partially digested octopus on the deck. Talk about bad breath. We all saw some really nice closed season ARS. Everybody, saw a shark or two that cruised by. But, not every dive had a shark. David had his new shark shield and one shark stayed its distance wanting his AJ for lunch. My dive buddy Rick said I had one 7' shark swim by behind me as I was stringing up a gag. Rick played shark guard till I was done stringing it up. Slept good on a bean bag on the way back in. Till the red tide stink woke me up about 11 miles out from JP. JP boardwalk and Gators was dead. You needed a pony bottle rig to be outside. Before, leaving Davids to head home. I asked, when are we going again?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
CatDiver

Nice report. I can't tell you how many times we're way offshore and end up with another boat near or even on the spot we were planning. Beautiful weather day for sure - wish I didn't have to be at work. Now we just need to get some pics and/or video
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
CuzzA

Nice report. I am looking forward to my next trip to the grounds. Having only been once, I only got a taste of the awesomeness out there.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

that's a good day right there
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Dbrown

Nice day for sure! Glad to hear you were rewarded for picking the calmest day and making the long run.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote