Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Fishing for grouper at night?

Admittedly, I haven't tried this, BUT, the gags are on the move right now, and the good tide is after dark. I know peeps that have caught 8 n 10 pounders from shore. I've a boat and know where they'll be. I'm just wondering if it's worth it. I DO know that when the vis is crap, smelly bait like sardines work. Anyone with experience, please chime in. I'm trying to avoid wasting my time.
This time of season always gets me itching w/ the fever.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
zackistre

Re: Fishing for grouper at night?

It all depends on the fish but we have had some great nights fishing for grouper. Sometimes lot better than the day bite and not so hot.
zackistre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackistre View Post
It all depends on the fish but we have had some great nights fishing for grouper. Sometimes lot better than the day bite and not so hot.
Thanks for the input. Understood. It's a full moon right now w/ a major tide around 1am.
What is your experience in such? Did smelly bait do the trick? I'll be fishing seriously low vis, especially at night.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
sharpshooter

Start with one side of the boat using sardines and the other side squid. Once, you get a decent grouper. Then, if you have live pin fish. Have one side use pins and the other side keep chumming with the dead bait. Then, alternate. So, everybody can catch grouper amd large mangoes.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
chawk25

Sun up and sun down is best gag bite time. You can catch em anytime they eat but they eat best at those 2 times. Also major and minors seem to get a gag bite going. Couple days left so go get some sandwiches.
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Start with one side of the boat using sardines and the other side squid. Once, you get a decent grouper. Then, if you have live pin fish. Have one side use pins and the other side keep chumming with the dead bait. Then, alternate. So, everybody can catch grouper amd large mangoes.
Thanks for the valuable input, SS. I've done my share of catching Red Snapper at night on the Elbow on a full moon, grouper...no. The place I have in mind is in less than 10' in the bay. I know they're there.

Thanks, Chawk. I'm a cracker from way back. I do know my way around the boat.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-27-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The place I have in mind is in less than 10' in the bay. I know they're there.
Duh!!!!! Then why don't you hike up your big girl panties and hop in and shoot them in the face?
"The first time a man goes into battle - making eye contact with someone trying to kill him - is strangely like the first time a man makes love to a woman. The anticipation is overpowering; the ignorance is obstructive; the fear of disgrace is consuming; and survival is triumphant." Ben Bradlee
johnnydinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydinx View Post
Duh!!!!! Then why don't you hike up your big girl panties and hop in and shoot them in the face?
You apparently didn't even bother to comprehend the title, Cupcake. Furthermore, even the dumbest gag I've ever encountered had more sense than you. If it was a red, then maybe we'd have something to argue about.
I've no problem doing some grouper digging when it makes sense. I've done plenty in the 2' vis around the Skyway shipping channel w/ high currents. If it made sense, I'd do it. Thanks for the input though.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-27-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Quote:
You apparently didn't even bother to comprehend the title, Cupcake. Furthermore, even the dumbest gag I've ever encountered had more sense than you. If it was a red, then maybe we'd have something to argue about.
While you and your Rhodes scholars are arguing over something red and eating cupcakes, I will be shooting said gags in the face and flopping them over the gunnels... of course I am still more than willing to give you that same reach around I did years ago
"The first time a man goes into battle - making eye contact with someone trying to kill him - is strangely like the first time a man makes love to a woman. The anticipation is overpowering; the ignorance is obstructive; the fear of disgrace is consuming; and survival is triumphant." Ben Bradlee
Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Marcus

Quote:
While you and your Rhodes scholars are arguing over something red and eating cupcakes, I will be shooting said gags in the face and flopping them over the gunnels... of course I am still more than willing to give you that same reach around I did years ago
Thanks for the accommodation, homo. I'm good. You have fun stabbin' groupers in the dark. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
johnnydinx
Team JohnnyDinx

Quote:
Thanks for the accommodation, homo. I'm good. You have fun stabbin' groupers in the dark.
Anytime catcher
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
Marcus

Quote:
Anytime catcher
Whatever...appreciate the reach around though.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
HARVESTER

Quote:
Whatever...appreciate the reach around though.
In water that shallow, I would try to light up the water to draw the bait around the boat. There are some other ways too. Check your PMs.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
Dr.P

vis was spectacular in my favorite bay spots over the past 2 weeks, everywhere top to bottom 10-15 feet. I think that run is coming to an end. I’ve seen more gags than I’ve seen in a long time around here.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
vis was spectacular in my favorite bay spots over the past 2 weeks, everywhere top to bottom 10-15 feet. I think that run is coming to an end. I’ve seen more gags than I’ve seen in a long time around here.
Hmmm...yea, that's curious. Where is "here"? I'm in lower Tampa bay. Usually, the temps would be lower this time of year and the run would be over...although, the water temps aren't where they're usually at. Me thinks the gags rely upon the temps and the amount of daylight...hence, the delay. Thoughts?