Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Everdai

Post California Spearfishing Regulation Helpful Supplement

Hey I'm very new to all this (ordering my stuff now) and I put this together one night out of pure boredom to help keep myself out of trouble when I hit the water. Anyways I thought I'd post it up here in case there's anyone else that could use it.

This is a list of all the fish, invertebrates, etc. listed in the order they appear in the regs, each one has its own page with a picture, limits, season, minimum sizes and any special rules that may apply to it. There's also some of the more pertinent laws on there.

It's mainly for Southern California (SGMA) with a focus on spearfishing.

This link will take you to The Pirate Bay to download the files, there are both pdf and powerpoint files, you can use any torrent application to download this. (sorry it was too big to upload here):

An updated version thanks to several of spearboards members - I know it says 0 seeders but I'm seeding and have so far uploaded enough for 25 downloads of both formats, plus a few people have chosen to download only one format (as of 26 Aug). So it's definitely working if you're setup to use torrents. EDIT: 10-25-09 - I am no longer personally seeding this as a torrent, if you want it, PM me.

This link will take you to Megaupload to download the files, you don't need any additional software to download this way. Just enter the verification code, click download file, then click regular download, select save file, click OK, and the download should begin and complete within 30 seconds:

Version 1.3 .PDF only
EDIT: 10-25-09 - This is still a working link.
For whatever reason Megaupload is not accepting the powerpoint upload so if you want that format you'll have to PM me.

EDIT - Here's a link to another helpful site that I found "MarineMap" you can go through and select MPA's, CCA's, Managed Areas, etc. and view them on the map to give you a good visual on where you can and can not spear. You can also view it in satellite imagery.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Last edited by Everdai; 11-21-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
spearthebigones
Daniel

Re: California Spearfishing Regulation Helpful Supplement

Well I doubt it will help anyone since there are 0 seeders for that torrent~
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Everdai

yeah i just looked, it does come up as zero seeders, but i'm seeding it so i don't know why it says that.

I have a pretty fast internet connection and it's not that big of a file so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to download even if no one else seeds it.

So far it's been downloaded at least 17 different times.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Everdai

Also if there's anyone out there that doesn't have or doesn't want to use a torrent client feel free to PM me with your email and what format you want and I'll send it to you.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
maidendeth13
SLO Cal

I'm on a mac and it says I don't have a program to open the file on, what do you guys on macs use to open torrents?

If you could email it to me in a PDF or Excel or Word document that would be awesome. Sent PM with email address.

Thanks I actually spent a quite some time looking for something exactly like what you seem to have made the other day as I'm new to spearfishing and uncertain on what every fish is and the legality of shooting them.

My Gun Build
maidendeth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
spearthebigones
Daniel

Next time don't use a torrent to upload something as small as this. The problem with uploading torrents is that your computer and your torrent program must be on all day long if anyone else wants to download it, because you have the only copy.

Instead of torrents why not just upload it to MEGAUPLOAD so anyone can download it anytime they want? http://www.megaupload.com/?c=signup It's a free and can upload your stuff within minutes.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
dankandco

If the file isn't too big why can't you just attach a pdf here?

Some people are for big government until they find themselves under its thumb.
dankandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Next time don't use a torrent to upload something as small as this. The problem with uploading torrents is that your computer and your torrent program must be on all day long if anyone else wants to download it, because you have the only copy.

Instead of torrents why not just upload it to MEGAUPLOAD so anyone can download it anytime they want? http://www.megaupload.com/?c=signup It's a free and can upload your stuff within minutes.
I actually do leave my desktop running 24/7, but thanks for the tip on megaupload, i Didn't know about that, I'll set that up tomorrow and edit my original post with a link to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankandco View Post
If the file isn't too big why can't you just attach a pdf here?

The limit here was really small, I think it was about 1/10th of the size of my pdf, I guess I could chop down the quality but then you'd be squinting to read some of the stuff. I just meant it's not going to take all day to upload from my connection, the pdf is 14MB and the powerpoint is about 11MB, so it's about the same as 4 or 5 mp3's for each version.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
dankandco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
The limit here was really small, I think it was about 1/10th of the size of my pdf, I guess I could chop down the quality but then you'd be squinting to read some of the stuff. I just meant it's not going to take all day to upload from my connection, the pdf is 14MB and the powerpoint is about 11MB, so it's about the same as 4 or 5 mp3's for each version.
What if you zip or rar the file?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

What about just making a PDF, and leave it at that? One click, and BINGO, problem solved.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdai View Post
The limit here was really small, I think it was about 1/10th of the size of my pdf
I was wrong on that, the limit here for a .pdf attachment is much smaller than that. The limit is closer to 1/28th the file size of the .pdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankandco View Post
What if you zip or rar the file?
Well the limit to post a pdf attachment here is just barely over 500kb, I didn't think I could rar a file to less than 3.5% its original size so I didn't even try, I'm using Megaupload to upload the files now like spearthebigones suggested. I'll post links to that shortly in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
What about just making a PDF, and leave it at that? One click, and BINGO, problem solved.
There is an option to download the file in either .pdf or .ppsx (Microsoft Office PowerPoint Slide Show) format, or both if you like.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
dankandco

This sounds really helpful. (The pdf version at least -- it's a more universal format.) I just usually stay away from torrents from habit since I don't leave my computer on all day.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

I already know what I am shooting at; I was just mentioning for those who might want the info.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
Everdai

There is now a link in the Original Post to download the PDF version without using a torrent client.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #15
Far_Side

Hey Everdai - neat file. I'm still getting used to identifying the local species out here, and the pdf you put together will help. Thanks!

A comment: the barracuda photo you put in is for the Great Barracuda - found in the atlantic and carribean, not the pacific ocean. Here's a pic of the pacific cuda.

Looks awesome though. Thanks again!
Far_Side is offline   Reply With Quote