Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 08-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
florfreediver

2021 Nationals Results.

Anyone know of a Site/Forum where the results of the 2021 Nationals tournament are posted?
Thanks,
Mike
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
sacha58

Re: 2021 Nationals Results.

it is all on FB... Pam beach freedivers page or scotts... Mikhail Kutznetsov won 1st palce boys, Julie Higgs girls. Some drama for a DQed team... ;-)

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
florfreediver

Smile Re: 2021 Nationals Results.

Thanks Sacha58,
I was an Observer at the event but my old bones did not have the energy/desire to stay for the weigh-in.

Still reluctant to join any other social network :>)

Send me a PM with any juicy details you may wish to share.

Regards,
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
SergioD

It appears as though only FL divers competed in this Nationals tournament. Where were the CA, HI, MA, RI teams?
SergioD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
renepotvin

We want videos!

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
dewasw
1st breathe-up May 1937

Talking Re: 2021 Nationals Results.

Where are the details --- important stuff is missing. Were Dominion Voting Machines used?
dewasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
We want videos!
https://youtu.be/67pS30EmcqA
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha58 View Post
it is all on FB... Pam beach freedivers page or scotts... Mikhail Kutznetsov won 1st palce boys, Julie Higgs girls. Some drama for a DQed team... ;-)
There were actually two teams DQ'ed for this tournament.

One 3-person team had every member of the team, individually bring an undersized (illegal) fish off the boat and presented it to the weigh-in table for weigh in. In other words, each member landed, retained and then presented a short fish as part of their catch; necessitating that each team member be individually DQ'ed. The size violations (for the 3 fish) were of state/federal laws, not tournament-specific size criteria.

The other team was documented to have strayed outside of the tournament boundaries to hunt fish (in a zone for which spearfishing is prohibited). This resulted in the filling of a formal protest and an eventual DQ of the entire team.

That's what I saw and understood to have occurred. If I had not seen it with my owns eyes...
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #9
svivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioD View Post
It appears as though only FL divers competed in this Nationals tournament. Where were the CA, HI, MA, RI teams?
Not much organization or advertisement… last year they couldn’t even dial in a location or date then had to bail. Didn’t even find out it was happening until 3 months out which isn’t even enough time for most. Especially when they are trying to find observers a week before the tournament.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #10
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by svivian View Post
Not much organization or advertisement… last year they couldn’t even dial in a location or date then had to bail. Didn’t even find out it was happening until 3 months out which isn’t even enough time for most. Especially when they are trying to find observers a week before the tournament.
Last year there was a global pandemic... I think that may buy a little patience and understanding about no tournament last year.

As for this year, the Covid issues still remained and 100% of the responsibilities for the entire tournament fell upon the shoulders of one individual (and a few very generous people who offered to manage the weigh in and prepare the t-shirt graphics and the printed programs). I doubt there has ever been a Nationals which was more of a "one-man-show" than 2021.

Scott did an excellent job!

Most likely the reason you didn't hear about the tournament until 3 months ago is because there WAS NO Tournament scheduled until about 3 months ago! We are very lucky it was not postponed for another year.

The tournament was well run, very organized and there were volunteer observers aboard nearly all the boats. The awards dinner was held at a very nice venue and the sponsors of the tournament were quite generous.

Even the unfortunate DQ situations, were handled in a professional and objective manner and were resolved quickly, discretely and without drama or disruption from anyone.

The competition was a huge success (although my personal performance was below embarrassing). In fact, a world record fish was taken!

To be completely honest, I heard not one complaint about ANY ASPECT of the tournament from ANY competitors.

If you didn't attend, you probably should withhold any criticism.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #11
svivian

Respect your opinion but mine are just as respectable. I have no gripe about last year as it was to be expected to be cancelled. But to have an extra year to plan
And still 3 months notice isn’t fair to a lot of competitors who would have traveled. Also not fair to those who compete who want to go against the best but couldn’t because they could not attend. It is unfortunate it fell on just Scott’s shoulders and I’m not criticizing him at all. He did alot better than what most could do. But for a national championship that means qualifications for a world tournament should have more time and availability for everyone to participate plain and simple. Just saying it how it is and those who could not attend because they were not given time to plan have 100% reason to make a comment.
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:09 AM   #12
SergioD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
As for this year, the Covid issues still remained and 100% of the responsibilities for the entire tournament fell upon the shoulders of one individual (and a few very generous people who offered to manage the weigh in and prepare the t-shirt graphics and the printed programs). I doubt there has ever been a Nationals which was more of a "one-man-show" than 2021.

Scott did an excellent job!
Wow, didn't think it was even possible for an individual to execute a tournament of that complexity. Hell of a job Scott! Are there not many Palm Beach members? Why didn't any members pitch in?
SergioD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioD View Post
Wow, didn't think it was even possible for an individual to execute a tournament of that complexity. Hell of a job Scott! Are there not many Palm Beach members? Why didn't any members pitch in?
Good question. The club was in a disarray BEFORE Covid and then when it hit the club became stagnant. I was technically the treasurer, but Scott just said "screw it" we are having a Nationals this year, so he did it.

He did it all. Even the finances, rounding up the individual trophies (as well as securing the perennial Churchil Trophy), setting up the the venues for the pre-tournament competitors meeting, as well as the awards banquet restaurant, setting up a remote Zoom meeting, handling all the announcements through multiple channels of social media, formulating the site specific rules, acquisition of the permit from the park for the tournament, setting up a food truck for tournament day and handling all the meal tickets and costs, soliciting all the sponsors, personally collecting and storing all the prizes, insurance, coordination with USOA, t-shirts, programs, coordinating volunteers, located a boat rental operator, secured local boat/trailer storage options for out of towners, physically setting up and putting down banners... Probably 20 other little odds and ends as well.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
jfjf

Quote:
Respect your opinion but mine are just as respectable. I have no gripe about last year as it was to be expected to be cancelled. But to have an extra year to plan
And still 3 months notice isn’t fair to a lot of competitors who would have traveled. Also not fair to those who compete who want to go against the best but couldn’t because they could not attend. It is unfortunate it fell on just Scott’s shoulders and I’m not criticizing him at all. He did alot better than what most could do. But for a national championship that means qualifications for a world tournament should have more time and availability for everyone to participate plain and simple. Just saying it how it is and those who could not attend because they were not given time to plan have 100% reason to make a comment.
If one guy can set up a whole tournament and execute it in 3 months.. tough shit for people who couldn't work those two days into their schedule. Go away, nobody who has any importance in this matter even reads your dribble (or mine).
Old 08-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #15
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Quote:
It was actually 4 months notice, not 3. Reason for only 4 months notice is because Nats was originally supposed to be held in Hawaii 2020 (cancelled cause Covid) & then again in 2021. But again cancelled 2021 in Hawaii cause Covid. I'm the newly elected USOA Skindive Spearfishing Director so, in March after Hawaii cancelled for 2nd time my choices were 1) have no Nats again for 2nd year in a row or 2) give 4 months notice and host it myself. Guess which I chose? You think picking a World Team from a Nats that only had 4 months notice is challenging? Try picking a World Team from 2 years with no Nats!

Sorry you disapprove but in my mind a short notice Nats was better than no Nats at all & luckily as Director of USOA & President of Palm Beach Freedivers I don't need anyone's permission/approval. 52 divers (20 boats) were signed up for this year's Nats, which is pretty damn good for 4 months notice if you ask me. Unfortunately, week of tournament we lost 1 Men's Team to a blown powerhead & 1 Mixed Team to Covid infection. Then on tournament day 2 Men's teams got DQ'd & a 3rd Men's Team didn't weigh in fish. So, we had 47 divers compete on tournament day - which is more participants than most recent Nats!

jfjf - thanks much for the kind words! Glad you & little jfjf had a good time.

Scott

Last edited by Muay Thai; 08-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote